Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Project Day 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:18 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
iClick, you are right. The manual does state to use motor oil and makes no mention of assembly lube. The lubrication qualities of assembly lube, IMO, gives all parts an extra slick coating that sticks to all metal parts. I coated the entire cam, cam plate bores, inner bearings, sprockets, chains, and tensioners with oil first and then a good coat of lube. It's good insurance. I highly recommend the assembly lube - and it is cheap.
It certainly couldn't hurt to take that extra step. I used some Royal Purple Nitro 50 racing oil I had lying around for lubing all the parts, thinking if it's good enough for a AA-fuel dragster it should be good for an assembly lube.

Red Loctite is specified in the "08 Touring Manual for the cam and crank sprocket bolts. I used blue loctite on everything else.
Yep, it's there, but I used blue since I was out of red at the time and a wrench friend told me red wasn't necessary anywhere for that job. Anyway, there's no way mine had red on them from the factory, as the bolts were almost loose and were very easy--IMO too easy--to remove.

When using Gary Beatty's tool I recommend oiling all the tool threads before extracting the bearing. It makes turning the big 3/4 inch nut easier and probably reduces the risk of metal shavings from the threads.
Another good idea.

The job can be done without the locking tool, but for $22 I think it makes the job easier if you are working solo.
By the time I was at that point in the job I had at least one loiterer hanging around at any given time, so I employed whoever was there for the job of holding the brake pedal down. I agree the tool would make it easier, but I was trying to see how cheap I could do the job without sacrificing quality. Cost-cutting is one of my favorite hobbies, but after doing the job I thought of even more ways.

When I wrap the project up I will try and put everything into one thread. I will also list the parts I used, and list the must have tools.
I don't recall you mentioning the cam-install kit, but you might've. Did you buy it or piece-out the parts you need. It needs to be said that the $65 kit is a waste of money, and you'll only need a few parts from the kit, which has parts for Evos on up including seven bearings, none of which you'll use. I bought the kit and wish I hadn't, so I ended up giving the remaining parts (most of the kit) to a wrench friend to use.

As I mentioned, I am not a mechanic....
You've just made a damn good impression of one here!

Last edited by iclick; 12-25-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:59 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Fascinating write-up. Thanks for the effort as this is a project I'm planning on in the next year.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
Another thank you... I have been following with great interest as this upgrade is on my list of things to do..

Side note.. I notice you have been very detailed in your work.. how did you verify front cyl. at TDC after you rotated the engine for oil pump centering?
Or is it just as simple as lining the dots line back up?
The dots line up when at TDC on the front cyl. I placed the marked straw in the spark plug hole to confirm that.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

The dots line up when at TDC on the front cyl. I placed the marked straw in the spark plug hole to confirm that.
I read somewhere, I think it was the Andrews site, that it was best to line-up the dots before disassembly. Then when it's all put back together everything should be in the right position before the oil-pump-centering procedure. That's the way I did it.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:30 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Wow,this was your first mistake.
With the parts being extra slick,this will lead to bearing skate.The same problem with syn. oils!!!!!!
You're joking right?

lp

Old 12-26-2009, 08:41 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice write-up on a cam change .. the best by far on the forum .. thanks!!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:27 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior

Okay, I think I'm stuck on something easy here. Can you guys please help me out?

The adjustable pushrods are in. I made sure the front cylinder was at TDC, installed the adjustable pushrods, and adjusted them with 2.5 turns. After letting the lifters bleed down, I did the same on the rear cylinder. With the rear cylinder at TDC, the front intake pushrod has some up/down play in it now. Is this right, or did I miss something?

Also, when reinstalling the pushrod covers does anyone have a trick to compressing that spring loaded part so the top piece can be popped in without making a mess of my fingers?

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:48 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good stuff

Old 12-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Okay, I think I'm stuck on something easy here. Can you guys please help me out?

The adjustable pushrods are in. I made sure the front cylinder was at TDC, installed the adjustable pushrods, and adjusted them with 2.5 turns. After letting the lifters bleed down, I did the same on the rear cylinder. With the rear cylinder at TDC, the front intake pushrod has some up/down play in it now. Is this right, or did I miss something?

Also, when reinstalling the pushrod covers does anyone have a trick to compressing that spring loaded part so the top piece can be popped in without making a mess of my fingers?

Thanks!
The lifters need to be at the lowest point. TDC has to be on compression stroke.

I use a small flat blade screw driver under the bottom edge of the top pushrod cover, then force that bottom edge to slide across that screwdriver until it snaps into place. Make sure that top oring is seated good and that you removed the old oring first. (Two orings won't even allow the cover to snap into place). Don't ask me how I know that. LOL

Last edited by Faast Ed; 12-26-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:56 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
I can answer this part. Just use a screwdriver and one of the cylinder fins as leverage to push down on the lower cover then slip the upper cover piece in.

On my old Pan I had to adjust my pushrods all the time.

Quick Reply: Cam Project Day 3