Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS add on..why not!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:14 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ABS add on..why not!

I know it can't be added to a non ABS bike.
My question is why not.
Is it just because the MoCo just not sell you the pieces? Will they not sell because of legality reasons?
It's hard for me to understand why something that is bolted on at the factory cannot be bolted on by a dealer or yourself.
I have ABS on mine so I am just curious.

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:22 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I am sure it is possible to install, but the cost would be prohibitive. Not sure HD would allow a dealer to do it.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I can only speculate because I haven't tried to do it.

I think that if you were to add up the prices of the pieces required to convert a non-ABS bike to ABS, you'd find that it really and truly is cheaper to trade the non-ABS bike in on one that had it. You're doing things like replacing wiring harnesses and wheel bearings and adding an ABS computer, plus the plumbing involved. Some years back a news show on TV did an "expose" on the cost of auto replacement parts, and came up with the "shocking" fact that it cost three times as much to build a car from parts as it did to buy the car whole. Obviously the factory can build it much cheaper than they can package and retail the individual parts. But if ABS is an $895 option, then it will cost roughly three times as much to buy the parts.

I'm guessing that if you go to a dealer and say "I don't care what it costs, I want ABS on this bike" they won't do it for liability reasons. Yes, a good tech could install all the parts and bleed the system using their special equipment and it would probably work just like a factory installation. But all the techs aren't good ones. Brakes are such a critical safety item that I don't think that the MoCo would touch this one with a ten-foot pole. And not many people would want to spend, what, $2500 for this conversion, so there wouldn't likely be anyone who gains a good level of experience in this conversion.

I don't think that there's any prohibition on selling you the parts. I think if I went on Chicago H-D's website and entered all of the part numbers, they'd send them to me. Maybe I'm wrong there.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:45 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

There are also fitment issues throughout the motorcycle that would drive the costs higher than the above post mentioned. As stated it's probably cheaper to just trade bikes.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Capecodgirl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa 2500? All I know is I'm am VERY happy I bought mine with ABS!! Worry Free in many ways! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:00 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,458 Likes on 22,665 Posts

Mine didn't come with ABS and that's ok because the Brembos are fantastic to begin with. It'll just keep me paying closer attention to my ridin'.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

It is basically an issue of liability and it is not just HD. We tried to add ABS to my wife's Ford Escape when we bought, but was a no-go.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I ask several Dealers in my area about adding it to my 09 EGC. I was told it could not be done because so many things would have to be changed, plus not enough space in some area's after the bike was put together at the moco. I wanted ABS since my wife rides with me all the time now. I sold the 09 and bought an 08 105th UC with ABS. I would not own another bike without it. jmo!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Vahoagie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Harley should put it on all of them! If they did that the price would come down because the volume of parts moved would increase and the safety factor would increase1
Hoagie

Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

cost - and practicality. Don't know why but the main wiring harness is different on non-ABS bikes. I suspect liability is a concern too but fundamentally when you add up the cost of the parts alone there's no way anyone would do it - so why support the possibility at the dealers. Plus it's a great way to turn over the installed base (sorry for the marketing jargon).

Quick Reply: ABS add on..why not!