Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critical fasteners - Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Critical fasteners - Couple of questions

Looking through the chart in my service manual, they all seem pretty self explanitory except for...

Front & Rear brake Disc Mounting screws - I see the bolts where the calipers attach to the forks, and the smaller pin pads, but I'm not seeing any "screws"

Rear master cylinder mounting nut - I'm assuming this is the nut holding the master cylinder to the frame itself?

Handlebar lower clamp (riser) bolts - ??

Pivot shaft - Locknuts and swingarm bracket bolts ??

Question #2 - Do any of these bolts require the removal of exhaust, bags, seat, battery, etc.? The rear axle cone nut looks like I may be able to get a socket in there, but maybe not

Question #3 - The bolts on the calipers and master cylinder look like they have several sides to them, almost like a jagged edged stopsign. None of them appear to be your normal 6 sided bolts where a normal socket fits on there. What kind of tools will I need for these?

Thanks!!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:13 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Front & Rear brake Disc Mounting screws - I see the bolts where the calipers attach to the forks, and the smaller pin pads, but I'm not seeing any "screws"
Those are the correct ones (screws, bolts eh)

Rear master cylinder mounting nut - I'm assuming this is the nut holding the master cylinder to the frame itself? Yes

Handlebar lower clamp (riser) bolts - ?? The risers are what your handlebar is clamped to

Pivot shaft - Locknuts and swingarm bracket bolts ?? Where the swingarm attaches to the rest of the frame

Question #2 - Do any of these bolts require the removal of exhaust, bags, seat, battery, etc.? The rear axle cone nut looks like I may be able to get a socket in there, but maybe not If you have a wrench like the kastar that will fit without removing the exhaust, if not you will have to drop that side

Question #3 - The bolts on the calipers and master cylinder look like they have several sides to them, almost like a jagged edged stopsign. None of them appear to be your normal 6 sided bolts where a normal socket fits on there. What kind of tools will I need for these?They are called 12point sockets, remember they are mm and not sae

Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dawg
Those are the correct ones (screws, bolts eh)

Rear master cylinder mounting nut - I'm assuming this is the nut holding the master cylinder to the frame itself? Yes

Handlebar lower clamp (riser) bolts - ?? The risers are what your handlebar is clamped to

Pivot shaft - Locknuts and swingarm bracket bolts ?? Where the swingarm attaches to the rest of the frame

Question #2 - Do any of these bolts require the removal of exhaust, bags, seat, battery, etc.? The rear axle cone nut looks like I may be able to get a socket in there, but maybe not If you have a wrench like the kastar that will fit without removing the exhaust, if not you will have to drop that side

Question #3 - The bolts on the calipers and master cylinder look like they have several sides to them, almost like a jagged edged stopsign. None of them appear to be your normal 6 sided bolts where a normal socket fits on there. What kind of tools will I need for these?They are called 12point sockets, remember they are mm and not sae
question 3= 10 mm open wrench use the box 12pt end( may need a cheater) or go buy a 10mm 12pt socket

Old 12-24-2009, 05:16 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

For Question #1, aren't the fasteners in question the Torx screws that attach the rotors to the hubs? The OP would need the correct Torx socket for these.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:15 AM
The Dane
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Front Brake Disc Mounting

Cookiemech just crossed my reply, and I think he's right. The screws holding the brake disc to the wheel. As far as I remember it's torx.

Last edited by The Dane; 12-24-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Yeah the disc mounting screws are the big torx ones that mount the rotor to the wheel (the ones that say to replace once removed). I read it fast and missed where he stated bolts to forks.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:16 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the rear axle nut unless the clip is missing, these very seldom loosen so check to see clip is in and adjusting cams are matched. You can get a couple 12" crecent wrenches on them also for a quick check. An area often overlooked are the allen head bolts that hold the shifter levers on and the one at the trans lever. These appear tight but often just bound up, it's a good idea to take them out and reapply some blue locktight and re-torque them with a socket allen. There was alot of info on shift levers and using helm joints on the shifting rod about a month ago. I replaced my trans. lever allen with a hex bolt so that it can be tightened, you'd be surprised how much more leveraged you can get vs. a long allen wrench. My friends 09 fell off after 12k miles.

Last edited by gmc; 12-24-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the info guys! I did have some closed end wrenches that were "12 point". I checked all 3 brake calipers, none of them are Torx, they are all held on with those 12 point bolts.

The shift lever is not on the critical fasteners list, but I will check it later today.

Thanks for the advice guys! I really appreciate it.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:58 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Another bolt that is always loose and not on the list is the 2 top motor mount bolts into the heads (above the horn) the powder coating crushes and the bolts loose clamp load. Just put a 9/16" box end wrench on them and give them a good tight pull.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks hog-doc. Will do