Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discriminatory?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 AM
gja
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

My guess would be it's a matter of liability should you be injured while enroute to your destination. IF, and that's a big if, you should get into an accident, the likelyhood of you being more seriously injured is greater. I would think the companies WC costs increase.

Not saying I agree with it as I also have daily driving associated with my job and would love to ride, just trying to guess at the companies motives.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Management personnel at my place of employment are forbidden from riding to work. They all are scared to question the rule..

Old 12-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Roadman56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your employer offer free life insurance as a perk? That may be one of the reasons.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 AM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read his post again.....In my own words here is the way understand his statement......."he said the company he works for just posted a restriction banning the use of motorcycles for work related business". His company has not banned using a motorcycle on personel time or to and from work. He also said "next thing they may try to do is tell them what they can drive to work"

My company restricts employees from the same thing, and also includes other restrictions like using a personal airplane for company business.

Steve

Last edited by SteveO; 12-20-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:26 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

This is pretty much a policy where I work at too. I don't think it's unreasonable if you are traveling on Company time...

What you drive back and forth to work is another matter.

lp

Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

IF you are on YOUR TIME, bullshit. IF you are on THEIR time, it is still BS.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm lucky. Years ago our CEO was the type that management shouldn't ride to work, but he was too smart to come right out and say it. What really sucked was my bike was worth over 10 times what my VP drove to work.

Finally when one of the mid-managers down in the shop got a bike and started to ride to work, all was right with the world. Even though he rode a Honda, I thanked him anyway (he rides a Harley now ).

Weird thing was the CEO then started to give me compliments on my bike, a '97 Heritage Springer.

We can ride for company business, as long as it's appropriate. They leave that up to us.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:32 AM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain too. I had a job for the last 2 years in the CO Rockies in Leadville, CO and traveled back and forth weekly. Didn't get to ride the bike up there once! I didn't like it, but I understand because one of my collateral duties for the company is Health & Safety Officer.

Traveling to/from work is not "work related" when it comes to recording accidents for OSHA or workers compensation. However, traveling for work can be depending on the circumstances.

I know rules don't seem fair sometimes, but they have to protect their insurance costs to pay salaries, benefits and protect the bottom line.

If you were a member of the military, they say that you must wear helmets and reflective vests when riding even off base or the life insurance they provide you with is void.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:40 AM
magforce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats it sue their ***!!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

From what I've been told one of the top dogs at this facility has an issue with motorcycles in general. A couple years back he tried to force those of us that ride to park in the main lot far from security where we've been parking for years. Spent alot of hours in discussions with our facility manager coming up with a solution. We still park near the guardshack and now its concrete, the guys that ride still can't believe I was able to manage that...

Last edited by flhxkiller; 12-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Discriminatory?