Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stereo needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009 | 01:35 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default stereo needed

I have an 89 FLHTP and its in desperate need of a sound overhaul.I have a few questions if I can get some experienced input. First off after extensive reading it would appear that Hog Tune speakers are pretty much on the higher end compared to stock HD or other aftermarket speakers,true? On the stereo end I'm wandering what is the differnce between say a stereo that says its for an 88-95 compred to others of not those years , like will it not fit perhaps? The buttons on the old cop bike handlebars near as I can tell were never used for stereo neither do I know which would be the standard buttons so there not a real concern. As for stereo itself I'm thinking harley probably did make a good quality radio unit but as I said slacked off on speakers, so would the Harmon/Kardon so would the Harmon/Kardon be a better choice over the Sony that Biketronics sells?

Old 12-20-2009 | 01:45 AM
rvsg09
Intermediate

I don't know about the stereos, but I have the Hawgwired doubel shot in my 09 SG and I love it!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2009 | 06:38 AM
Heathen
Tourer

Went with Biketronics retro kit w/amp & 6.5 speakers,added bose tweeters and am real happy with system.

Old 12-20-2009 | 08:08 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master

I purchased a Sony marine stereo and installed it with the Hawg Wired kit. E-Z install! Bought the Sony-to-Harley adaptor so I could use the handlebar controls. Used some cheap speakers just until I had the stereo installed and working. Plan to upgrade with the best weather-proof speakers I can afford, whenever I can afford them. Installed a "hidden antenna" in the batwing so I didn't have to run the antenna cable to the TourPak. I'm missing out on the integrated CB, but I have rigged up communication through my AutoCom so I can have tunes, CB, cell phone, whatever thru my headset and passenger headset. All-in-all I probably have half as much in my set-up as purchasing the integrated Harley stereo/CB.

Old 12-20-2009 | 11:08 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for input but will any type of stereo fit in the fairing other than those which sound like there made for Harley deckers?

Old 12-20-2009 | 05:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Call Biketronics and ask your questions; they know plenty.

Biketronics and Hawg-wired sell installation kits for installing automotive/DIN size stereos in your bike. They will come with the parts needed since DIN is smaller than the HD factory radios.

Carl

Old 12-21-2009 | 04:39 PM
Glenn W
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Call Biketronics and ask your questions; they know plenty.

Biketronics and Hawg-wired sell installation kits for installing automotive/DIN size stereos in your bike. They will come with the parts needed since DIN is smaller than the HD factory radios.

Carl
as above

Old 12-22-2009 | 06:53 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I got some answers back from BT's and they do have the kit to make a din radio fit and also give me a quote
Without functioning controls -
Sony CDX-GT640UI Stereo
4" Hertz Speakers
Splashcover
Internal antenna
All wiring and mounting
$319.89

From the sounds of it I can\t go any bigger than 4" speakers for my bike which would rule out HogTunes and many others, anyone hear of the 4" Hertz Speakers?

Old 12-23-2009 | 03:56 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks you's have been a great help, my son who is an electronics/ebay guru went out of his way and ordered ALPINE SPS-400 SPS 400 4" , ALPINE CDA-105 MP3/WMA/AAC MOBILE CD RECEIVER and a 300W Stereo Power AMP RCA Amplifier Car Motorcycle Bike bless his heart.He said with the stereo thats already in there it'll be no problem to mountand wire this one in.
Now I just gotta figure out how to get the fairing face off.

Old 12-23-2009 | 06:00 PM
the_ogre25
Cruiser

when I did mine I just ordered the mounting kit through Biketronics,top notch service by the way, the wiring is easy enough, especially since your going with different speakers.
For what its worth I also got an internal antenna and it did not pick up stations for crap.
If you want more sound I installed 2 pioneer tweeters in the outer flaps of the batwing for more sound. My buddy can hear mine over his straight piped shovel on the highway when I am behind him, so its good and loud. Post up a link to the amp if you can I would like to see it.

Quick Reply: stereo needed