Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing sealed wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 AM
zannydo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing sealed wheel bearing

had the wifes RK wheels chromed for Xmas, any reason why I shouldn't install the bearings myself using the old method of a block of wood and a hammer to get them flush and then the correct size socket to drive them in the rest of the way. I have read about special tools but don't see a need? Thanks

Old 12-19-2009, 11:45 AM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used old sockets and anti sieze until i got the Jims install tool and can't say it's much easier.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Having a lot of experience installing bearings over the years. And hoping when you had your wheels chromed, nothing got in or damaged the area where you are installing the bearing. Put your new bearings in the refrigerator over night. This will cool them and they will not be expanded by being in a warm temp. I would use bearing loctite as a lubricant to slide in, not anti seize. The loctite will serve as a lube to slide the bearing in, then setup to help make sure the bearing stays tight. Be sure not to beat on the inner race while putting the outer race in the hub of the wheel. This can damage the bearings. Proper alignment when first starting the bearing in the hub is important. Good Luck!

Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good Grief spend a couple of bucks and have them pulled in like they are suppose to be.
Do you install your spark plugs with a pair of pliers also?

Old 12-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by jag1886
Good Grief spend a couple of bucks and have them pulled in like they are suppose to be.
Do you install your spark plugs with a pair of pliers also?
You can make a puller out of some all thread rod with your socket to fit the outside race. 1/2" all thread with nuts and flat bar with a hole it and some nuts and washers.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zannydo
had the wifes RK wheels chromed for Xmas, any reason why I shouldn't install the bearings myself using the old method of a block of wood and a hammer to get them flush and then the correct size socket to drive them in the rest of the way. I have read about special tools but don't see a need? Thanks
I would buy the right tool for the job.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Bearings that support the only two wheels on your wifes bike SHOULD NOT be beat in with a hammer. You have to seat the primary bearing first to set the rotor in proper alignment with the caliper, no big deal it seats in the bore on that side of the wheel, the second bearing depth gets set buy the center spacer touching the first bearings inner race. If you beat the second bearing in by the outer race you have no way of knowing when the inner racec and spacer contact, thus forcing the bearings into the edge of thier race and damaging both, which WILL lead to early bearing failure.

The proper toool supports both the inner and outer races so that no damage is done to them.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Bearings that support the only two wheels on your wifes bike SHOULD NOT be beat in with a hammer. You have to seat the primary bearing first to set the rotor in proper alignment with the caliper, no big deal it seats in the bore on that side of the wheel, the second bearing depth gets set buy the center spacer touching the first bearings inner race. If you beat the second bearing in by the outer race you have no way of knowing when the inner racec and spacer contact, thus forcing the bearings into the edge of thier race and damaging both, which WILL lead to early bearing failure.

The proper toool supports both the inner and outer races so that no damage is done to them.
Tell me if I'm wrong Hod-Doc, Harley uses double row sealed ball bearings that fit in a bored hub. The sprocket side bearing is set by the sprocket boss when it's bolted to the hub. The other side rest against a spacer between the two bearings. Not rocket science and as long as you don't hit the inside race while going into an outside bore, you won't hurt the bearing. I've driven many bearing's in bores and on shaft's. as long as you are careful, you won't damage the bearing.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:26 PM
acftdr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hog-doc

What he said....Get a bearing tool kit from Pit Posse, p/n VT 102. $110.00 on eBay.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on Hog-Doc's comment, and what others said about using proper tool for the job.
+1 also on suggestion you simply take the wheel to dealer and ask them to install bearings properly(new bearings, too)

Hey, you shoulda heard me bitching when I finally decided I had to buy a Molex crimp tool! LOL!