Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why did harley quit using the timken bearing after 2002

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:49 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just another reason I will never part with my 01 RK. I love the bike, lived all my life without ABS, fuel injection, yada yada. Don't get me wrong; if I had the coin I would buy a new bike in a heartbeat but when I do that the 01 stays. Besides I have too much invested in this bike.

Last edited by strtarrow; 12-19-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:19 PM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

It seems to me "New and improved" = Lower quality and cheaper.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 47Norton
It seems to me "New and improved" = Lower quality and cheaper.
I'm sure the moco is like other's, they are trying to cut cost and still make a reliable product. Most company's put stuff up for bid. The lowest bidder get's the bid. Timken is not the only company who makes quality bearing's. I'm sure the moco got a good replacement for that application.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:30 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Its more a matter of assembly line proceedure than actual costs. It takes much longer to set precision end play than it does to stab a shft through a hole. Same reason for the chain drive cams as opposed to the gear drive set up from past motors. When production numbers go up in any manufacturing facility you have to find ways to do it quicker!
bingo. less on hands labor at the assembly line.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its more a matter of assembly line proceedure than actual costs. It takes much longer to set precision end play than it does to stab a shft through a hole. Same reason for the chain drive cams as opposed to the gear drive set up from past motors. When production numbers go up in any manufacturing facility you have to find ways to do it quicker!

I believe we have a winner!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,120 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Just another reason I will never part with my 01 RK. I love the bike, lived all my life without ABS, fuel injection, yada yada. Don't get me wrong; if I had the coin I would buy a new bike in a heartbeat but when I do that the 01 stays. Besides I have too much invested in this bike.
Same here. I would love to have a new Ultra, but my 02 Ultra ain't going anywhere when or if I ever get a new one.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:40 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hangin' on to my '99 too. By the time I get done going through it it will be far superior than a new one anyway.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

I can understand the quickness of assembly, but I can't understand why they continue to have all those damb moving parts in the chain cam assembly. I was told by a salesman at Wild Prairie HD that the EPA says that harley can't put gear drives in the cam chest because of noise (environmental noise). I don't believe that for a minute, but that's what I was told.

We all know the real reason...."Tight tolerances on shaft runout costs too damb much money" That's the only gripe that I have with HD.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a few of the cam posts that I have read most everyone that has replaced there cams have gone back to the timken bearing. I did!!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by producer
I can understand the quickness of assembly, but I can't understand why they continue to have all those damb moving parts in the chain cam assembly. I was told by a salesman at Wild Prairie HD that the EPA says that harley can't put gear drives in the cam chest because of noise (environmental noise). I don't believe that for a minute, but that's what I was told.

We all know the real reason...."Tight tolerances on shaft runout costs too damb much money" That's the only gripe that I have with HD.
You CAN believe it. Every major vehicle manufacture has to comply with emission AND noise guidelines.

Besides, they reduced the number of cam compartment parts with the 96.

47NortonIt seems to me "New and improved" = Lower quality and cheaper. How do you figure lower quality?

The sprocket shaft is now larger (stronger) and there has never been an issue with the straight roller mains. There is no latteral load on these engines (which is what a double Timkin bearing is used for) and the rollers in the new bearing are much larger (stronger) than the Timkin rollers.

Ive seen 120+ HP 103's and 130+ HP 117's with stock main bearings get the crap beat out of them for 20,000+ miles and no issues what so ever.

Quick Reply: why did harley quit using the timken bearing after 2002