Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE251 or SE255

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
How do the Wood TW-6-6 sound at idle?
In a word, badass!

I've got the Woods cams, my buddy has an '09 with a 10.25 to 1 103 kit and SE 251's. He's pissed, cause mine sounds lumpy and mean at idle, and his is very docile. When we raced last week, I pulled away from him just slightly.

I vote Woods, forget the SE cams.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:46 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
In a word, badass!

I've got the Woods cams, my buddy has an '09 with a 10.25 to 1 103 kit and SE 251's. He's pissed, cause mine sounds lumpy and mean at idle, and his is very docile. When we raced last week, I pulled away from him just slightly.

I vote Woods, forget the SE cams.
Thanks for the feedback. How's the low end torque?

And do they sound something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5O-IhIxACs

Old 12-19-2009, 01:55 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
You need a carbed Evo to get that sound. Twin cams, especially EFI TC's just wont get that sound, close but not exactly.

Its funny how HD motors have the same layout but all have thier own unique sound, Knucks, pans, shovels Evo's and TC's. You can pick em out blind folded.
If I could turn my idle down, then I would have a sound like that.

I've got an iphone video of my bike idling. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N17EHlnOvpg

Old 12-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

That sounds good JC. How's the low end torque response compared to stock? I know the TW-6 has got a strong top end but I'm looking for better power in the low end and midrange.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:08 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, with the Thunderheader it might be a little flat until about 2800 or so by the seat of the pants. My dyno sheet shows the typical T-header torque dip, but the starting torque is higher than the peak torque of the stock bike. It pulls pretty hard all around, but I could use more bottom end. I think I need some more cubes and maybe a different pipe. I just LOVE the sound of the Thunderheader. Had one on my '04 carburated and cammed Road King. I loved that idle.

I heard a guy with a 95" build and Woods 8 cams. It was wicked. It sounded like a Nascar burbling through a parking lot.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice power gain. I wonder how the bottom end would be with a 2-1 or 2-1-2.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:22 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know for sure, but I bet that new Jackpot 2-1-2 would help the bottom end. Either that or a supertrapp, or maybe a Fat Cat. All depends on what you're looking for.

The best sounding dual mufflers I've ever heard are Kuryakyn Crushers. Nice DEEP mellow idle, and LOUD when you whack the throttle open.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:17 AM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

From the dyno sheets that I've read and personal testimony, I wouldn't pick either one. For the same money, I would choose something from Headquarters. HeadQuarters cams will have taller and longer torque lines and higher horsepower numbers and better MPG than the SE cams, that you are considering.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:31 AM
deezee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been running the 211 in my 96 with stock heads and thunderheader and it sounds dirty as hell. The mid to top is great and down low isnt horrible (but its no 6-6 or 54). I posted my dyno #'s here before, and I think they were 85/91 without a big tune......Im not a big numbers guy.
Ive had the set-up in the bike for close to 10,000 miles with no issues to speak of.

Im in the middle of a 103 build with the bike and Im gonna throw a 54 in it to feel it out, but I wouldnt be surprized if I end up putting the 211 back in to see how that feels with the 103.

To sum it up,I think you'd be very satisfied installing the 211 in your 96.....sound-wise, performance-wise, and price-wise.

But then again, opinions are like azzholes, know what I mean?? You need to get out there and listen to, or even ride a few so you can make the best decision for you.

let us know which way youre going, then give some feedback on your choice once its in there willya?

Last edited by deezee; 12-19-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
If I could turn my idle down, then I would have a sound like that.

I've got an iphone video of my bike idling. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N17EHlnOvpg
Holy Crap Batman!!!!! That's my pipe, and the cams sound really good. Are those the 6's? If you were to have gone with the next size smaller cams, what would they have been? The new TW408-48?

Quick Reply: SE251 or SE255