Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you power your GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009 | 11:16 AM
Tgreif
|
6th Gear
Default How do you power your GPS?

I installed a Ram-Mount for my Garmin 255W and am looking for the best way to power the unit. The Ram-mount cradle has a hole in the back for the right angle USB plug but it's designed in such a way that you really can't plug the right angle connector in without removing a piece of the cradle, so I may have to use a straight connector instead of the right angle one that came with the lighter adapter.

How have you folks dealt with that same issue? And have you hardwired it to the fairing? I don't really like the idea of running the cord from the left handlebar across to the cig lighter on the right side of the fairing dash.

Old 12-18-2009 | 11:28 AM
roadcapt
Cruiser

I have the Garmin Zumo 550 and it came with a handle bar mount/cradle. The dealer wired up the crade to some unused power leads that are in the head light housing. The power leads are just running down the handle bar next to the clutch cable and tie wrapped to that.

So with that said as soon as you turn your bike on, the power to the crade is on and the GPS is ready to go.

Prior to the Garmin Zumo, I used a Magellan GPS unit using a Ram handle bar mount but it did not support a hard wire connection so I just ran the GPS using its own internal battery which was close to five hours. Plus the GPS was meant for a car and not really made to be outside in the elements and the LCD screen was hard to see on sunny days.

Old 12-18-2009 | 11:33 AM
NHSPMCU
Cruiser
Cool Try this...

Originally Posted by Tgreif
I installed a Ram-Mount for my Garmin 255W and am looking for the best way to power the unit. The Ram-mount cradle has a hole in the back for the right angle USB plug but it's designed in such a way that you really can't plug the right angle connector in without removing a piece of the cradle, so I may have to use a straight connector instead of the right angle one that came with the lighter adapter.

How have you folks dealt with that same issue? And have you hardwired it to the fairing? I don't really like the idea of running the cord from the left handlebar across to the cig lighter on the right side of the fairing dash.

I thought the same thing, until I tryed it. Works just fine, just make the cord long enough that it doesn't interfear with the handle bar movement. I coil the excess cord on mine with a hair elastic (from my wife) that gives the cord some stretch if need be. I use a cheap TomTom in the Ram-mount cradle, left handle bar. Works very well.

Old 12-18-2009 | 11:35 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I have my 550 wired into the headlight nacelle.

Old 12-18-2009 | 12:12 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain

Hamster in a running wheel. Squirrels work to.

Old 12-18-2009 | 12:14 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

I power my Tom Tom from the lighter socket; works great. The socket on my Ultra is on the left. I had to replace the one that came from the factory because is was specific for a lighter, not as a 12v power point.

Old 12-18-2009 | 12:35 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

What GPS? I use a map, Army trained.

Old 12-18-2009 | 01:15 PM
cupcars
Cruiser

I bought a "straight" retractable mini USB power cable for the cig lighter on my street glide. No cable hanging down. was $3.18 shipped to my door from ebay. Item #380174825452

Just 1 option,

JC

Old 12-18-2009 | 01:16 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

Power wire in the headlight/fairing. Power by ignition switch. Zip-tied to handle bar.

Attached Thumbnails How do you power your GPS?-cimg2788.jpg  

Last edited by frontiercat; 12-18-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2009 | 02:31 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member

I originally wired my Tom Tom into the lighter circuit. but it would turn on everytime I turned the key on. So I straight wired it with an in-line fuse to the battery. Works great now . only comes on when I push the power button.

Quick Reply: How do you power your GPS?