Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Harley buy back an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:37 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Harley buy back an extended warranty?

After doing the 95 big bore kit on my 2000 Electra Glide Classic last month and purchasing a 06 Ultra with almost 3 years left on the warranty 2 weeks ago, I don't think the Ultra is going to make it much longer with out the same upgrade.

I had a friend tell me that Harley will buy back the remainder of the warranty? I have never heard of this before, has anyone here done it or heard of it?

One last thing - If you ever want to save money don't talk to dawg.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you are not the original person that purchased the extended warranty they may not give you anything.

But if you have all paperwork saying the warranty was transferred to you...it couldn't hurt to call and ask about a refund.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:47 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

We did the transfer of ownership with Harley, I'm just waiting for the card and paperwork to come in the mail.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by mainshaft

One last thing - If you ever want to save money don't talk to dawg.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i looked into 'selling' back my extended warranty on my last bike. what i found out was: they will prorate the warranty from day one, not from the date of the expiration of the factory warranty. example, you paid $1000 for 3 years extended, giving a total of 5 years. the factory warranty, 2 years, is about to expire and you decide you don't need the extended warranty. $1000 / 5 years = $200 per year x 2 years = $400. they will refund $600.

now, if the bike is financed, they will send that $600 to the lien holder

you also have to do the paperwork through the selling dealer. in my case, it would have been too much of a pain in the butt for the $200 i would have gotten back so i just let it ride.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Open Road
Road Captain

To answer your question.....you can cancel your extended service plan at any time. They'll refund you the prorated amount of the extended service agreement (no such thing as an extended warranty).

By the way, that extended service agreement isn't with Harley Davidson.....if you read it, it's with a third party. HD just acts as the sales agent (making their commission) in selling it to you.

Having said that, my last three bikes (10 SESG, 04 SEEG, 02 Ultra Classic) have all had the seven year extended "warranty" (service agreement) and they've all had motor mods done. The mods have never came in to question in regards to the repair being handled by the extended service agreement.

If a dealership is following the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act.....in short it says that the failure has to be directly related to the mod in order for it to be void. That's rarely the case. If you're dealing with a dealership that screams void just because you've done a mod, you might want to start looking for another dealership that wants your business.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:26 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

skratch and Open road - Thanks for the great replies.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Sold mine when I sold the Sport,got 800.00 out of it

Old 12-18-2009, 10:28 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Open Road
To answer your question.....you can cancel your extended service plan at any time. They'll refund you the prorated amount of the extended service agreement (no such thing as an extended warranty).

By the way, that extended service agreement isn't with Harley Davidson.....if you read it, it's with a third party. HD just acts as the sales agent (making their commission) in selling it to you.

Having said that, my last three bikes (10 SESG, 04 SEEG, 02 Ultra Classic) have all had the seven year extended "warranty" (service agreement) and they've all had motor mods done. The mods have never came in to question in regards to the repair being handled by the extended service agreement.

If a dealership is following the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act.....in short it says that the failure has to be directly related to the mod in order for it to be void. That's rarely the case. If you're dealing with a dealership that screams void just because you've done a mod, you might want to start looking for another dealership that wants your business.
Just be sure on the service agreements you're not subject to getting transferred out of the area. I've heard of a person that got transferred before even his first service and never was able to get his money back fr. SLC Harley, what a ripe off. They were also too busy too pick up my other friends bike because of a function they were having. He had a flat on a new tire that they had just put on and he had to pay the towing and they wouldn't reimburse. I can change alot of oil for what they charge.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Trashy55
6th Gear

I got a direct refund when I traded the 06 SG for09 Classic. No Problem.

Quick Reply: Will Harley buy back an extended warranty?