Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer pushing 06 Opinion Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:59 AM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer pushing 06 Opinion Please!

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the HD experience, in fact I am currently evaluating my options between the 07 and 06 EG Classic. Today my local dealer really pushed hard on the 06 (which he still has 5 2006 bikes on the floor). He mentioned that there is very very little chance that the 07 models will be at MSRP, stating they could be priced 2-3K more than MSRP. Anyone belive that?

Question: Does this ring as accurate to anyone? Also, I ge the feeling he is just trying to get out from under the 06 models, but not willing to truely negotiate. I'm sorry but giving me a couple of T-shirts after dropping 22K on the bike doesn't do a lot for me. HOWEVER I do realize that he doesn't have to give me anything.

Additionally - he is pushing the Prepaid Maintenance at $2500 which comes with two tires, two batteries and all your services/checkups regardless of miles up to 36 months, and the extension of the standard two year warranty to a three year warranty. I can do the math to determnie the value of the prepaid, however is service reqired at 1K and then every 2500 miles later? I do my oil and tires now on my rice burner, and really enjoy it.

Finally: 06 or 07 - Got an opinion. I'm scared by the "first year" issues you can have with any vehicle. But Man i like the idea of a 96/6 speed.

This forum is one of the reason I am getting off my rice burner and finally onto my dream bike, Thanks to eveyone that participates on this forum.

Any day on the sunny side of the grass is a good day!
Ride safe
Zlaneb
Texas

Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 AM
callieblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer pushing 06 Opinion Please!

I have only been part of this forum for around six months, I would first like to welcome you to the HDF. My first post was in the introduction area .
I think you have to shop around at different dealers a see what up with the price. I don't think it is much over 1k for the 07s as compare to the 06s. And of cousre the 96" and the 6 gear trans are nice upgrades and I think they are worth it. But more important is you should buy what you want and can afford and not what a dealer wants to sell you.
Again welcome and good hunting!

Old 07-16-2006, 03:49 AM
mbmike
Advanced

I personally would shop around and go for an 06 at this time , it takes a few years of a new bike (even a new car ) to get up to speed I'm not sold on the idea of waiting a year or so till they come out with a race tunner or a download that works , when EFI came out it took the after market boys about 6 months to come up with a fix , this new system will definately take a litlle longer. I work in the car line and with EPA the driving force I think it might take a little longer on an 07 to perform motor up grades or have a bike that a little louder than just a stock bike. As for the 6 speed I put one on my 03 Fatboy and really not a large difference in performance, true better fuel mileage but not a big seller. As far as the price of 07 there are allot of HD dealers that sell MSRP and if your going with an 07 shop around , like the car side they will most likely give you a better interest rate on an 06 now v/ 07 jsut to get rid of the remaning stock. well my .02 cents anyway

Old 07-16-2006, 04:10 AM
BluRooster
Tourer

Go for the 07. People have been upgrading TC88s for years now so HD isn't doing much more than the dealers and indys have been doing. Bigger pistons, bored cylinders, etc. Plus, you have a warranty.

Axtell's been pushing a 97 inch for awhile.

http://www.axtellsales.com/

Old 07-16-2006, 04:36 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

If a dealer still has '06's and the '07's are going to be on the floor within the week I would bet you could make a smokin deal. The dealers know that as soon as the '07's hit the floor everyone will want one of them with the upgrades instead of the '06.

In my opinion, the '07 is not going to be "all that", and being the first year it might have a lot of bugs. Also, it seems that no one is sure what is going to be allowed as far as upgrades go when dealing with the '07's. I would negoiate for a really good price on an 06 if I could find one that I wanted.

Just an opinion from someone that likes and trusts the 88.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-16-2006, 05:27 AM
Matt8643
Road Captain

I would go with the '06. I absolutely believe the 07's could be 2-3k above msrp, depending on what part of the country you are from. Plus as already stated above, all the aftermarket goodies are available for the TC88s and I also am from the camp that says wait at least one year (if not two) for all the bugs to be worked out.
Just my .02. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:59 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

Additionally - he is pushing the Prepaid Maintenance at $2500 which comes with two tires, two batteries and all your services/checkups regardless of miles up to 36 months, and the extension of the standard two year warranty to a three year warranty. I can do the math to determnie the value of the prepaid, however is service reqired at 1K and then every 2500 miles later? I do my oil and tires now on my rice burner, and really enjoy it.
Service is required at 1K. But not every 2,500. On '06s, it's every 5,000 miles. I'd push for a real deal on an '06. As far as '07s being above MSRP? There are dealers all over the country that advertise as selling at MSRP. If you want an '07, go to a different dealer.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Fatboy2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Bill. The dealer is wanting to push the 06. IMO let's see how far he will push it and negotiate on the maintenance agreement, if you want one.
ORIGINAL: billnourse

If a dealer still has '06's and the '07's are going to be on the floor within the week I would bet you could make a smokin deal. The dealers know that as soon as the '07's hit the floor everyone will want one of them with the upgrades instead of the '06.

In my opinion, the '07 is not going to be "all that", and being the first year it might have a lot of bugs. Also, it seems that no one is sure what is going to be allowed as far as upgrades go when dealing with the '07's. I would negoiate for a really good price on an 06 if I could find one that I wanted.

Just an opinion from someone that likes and trusts the 88.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I got an 06 and am thinking of trading it in for an 07

Old 07-16-2006, 12:04 PM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

All,
Thanks for the advice, thoughts, and recommendations. I'm going to head to the other dealer in town and talk to them about their remaining stock on the 06 EG Classics.

As for the pre paid maint plan, I ran the numbers, and based on my annual miles on previous bikes, I don't average enough miles to make the pre-paid maintenence worth it. Again, another $$$ savings because I'm on this forum

Thanks again everyone for your responses. I look forward to many many miles on my new EG- if i could just DECIDE!
Ride Safe,
zlaneb

Quick Reply: Dealer pushing 06 Opinion Please!