Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zepp, Hammock or Other Seat for Ultra Limited?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:48 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zepp, Hammock or Other Seat for Ultra Limited?

Curious if anyone has ridden the Road Zepplin or Air Hammock seats (preferably both) on the Limited? I have ridden one Electra Glide with the Road Zepplin, but that was only for about 20 miles several years back. It was a good ride, but at that time I didn't have the back pain I do now.

The OEM seat on the Limited seems to be pretty much the same as what was on my Ultra. It might be just a tad more padded, so I'm wondering just how much better of a ride the other two seats might provide.

I'd like a little more support and comfort to help with arthiritis pain while on the road. I'm leaning toward the Zepplin seat just because of the adjustability and what I experienced in the past.

For what it's worth, I had a Mustang on a bike a few years ago and just didn't like it that much. I also had an Ultimate Seat on a bike 3 years ago, and I did like it. But I don't think Ultimate makes a seat for the Limited (yet). I also think I like the idea of the air bladders over just an overstuffed seat.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while it isn't cheap a Russell Day Long seat is by far the most comfortable seat I have ever owned. I had a Mustang touring saddle on my ultra and sold it on ebay. I rode it to Sturgis and was looking for a new seat while in Sturgis because I didn't want to ride it back home. Of all the HD seats I have tried the Sundowner is probably the closest to being acceptable but the Russell Day Long seat is by far the most comfortable seat I have ever tried. The just shipped my dyna seat yesterday. I liked my Ultra seat so much that I had them make me one for the fat bob.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_cj
Curious if anyone has ridden the Road Zepplin or Air Hammock seats (preferably both) on the Limited? I have ridden one Electra Glide with the Road Zepplin, but that was only for about 20 miles several years back. It was a good ride, but at that time I didn't have the back pain I do now.

The OEM seat on the Limited seems to be pretty much the same as what was on my Ultra. It might be just a tad more padded, so I'm wondering just how much better of a ride the other two seats might provide.

I'd like a little more support and comfort to help with arthiritis pain while on the road. I'm leaning toward the Zepplin seat just because of the adjustability and what I experienced in the past.

For what it's worth, I had a Mustang on a bike a few years ago and just didn't like it that much. I also had an Ultimate Seat on a bike 3 years ago, and I did like it. But I don't think Ultimate makes a seat for the Limited (yet). I also think I like the idea of the air bladders over just an overstuffed seat.

I have had both and for my money the RZ is Far better than the Hammock just for the simple fact you can adjust it on the fly and remove any hot spots that may pop up. the Hammock did not feel much different than a stock seat IMO and cost almost as much as an RZ.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have arthritis problems but I'm really digging my Sun-Ray premium heated seat. All-day comfort and the heat sure feels great this time of year.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer the RZ seat. You don't mention if you're using any back support? Also, might want to consider different bars that have a slight pullback to them. That will change your riding position more than you think.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:00 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried just about all of them. Found the RZ to be the most confortable.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM
capt chaos29
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried all of them also. The drivers seat seemed ok to me, but the passengers seat put my wifes legs to sleep. Hammock was no releif. Road Zep and Moma's Happy. On the 07 I had a company out of Texas, put in memory foam. Momma loved it, but they are having problems modifing, with the new 09 up seat pan. Some have posted about a company called meanstreet, that does a simular mod.
karl

Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the quick replies. I did look at the heated seat, but it didn't seem to offer any better support than stock. Since I've got heated gear the heated seat is less of a desire for me. For me, heated pants are better for truly cold weather since it heats much more than just your butt cheeks.

Looks like the RZ is winning this race. I have used (and will continue to use) a rider's backrest on the last half-dozen bikes. I used a Firehouse rest on my Heritage and a HD adjustable on the Ultra. I'm going with an adjustable again on the Ultra Limited. The RZ seat work with that HD adjustable seat, but I'm wondering now about the placement of the adjustment lever in relation to the RZs adjustment switches. Hmm ... maybe someone with both can fill me in.

While at the dealer the parts gal said that the adjustable seat won't work with the heat blockers on the Ultras. Sadly, these folks have to keep up with so many different years/models that they get confused. I informed her that the adjustable backrest worked fine with my '09 Ultra, and I'm not sure there's any reason it won't work on the '10 Limited. But throwing the RZ seat on there may make some difference, so I'll need to look at that closer as well.

Though the OL doesn't ride with me much, her comfort is a bit important. I like the idea that the RZ has adjustment for her as well. I figure the extra $200 is justified by her comfort. I'm guessing she'll agree with me. :-)

Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 AM
capt chaos29
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

2 things about the RZ, is, it is wider and taller. passenger is raised about 1 to 2 inches. The nose is wider and affects being able to reach the ground. The Wife actually likes being higher, so I raised the pass footboards. I lower the air pressure in the thigh zone for me around town. Makes stopping more secure.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:58 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by capt chaos29
2 things about the RZ, is, it is wider and taller. passenger is raised about 1 to 2 inches. The nose is wider and affects being able to reach the ground. The Wife actually likes being higher, so I raised the pass footboards. I lower the air pressure in the thigh zone for me around town. Makes stopping more secure.
I agree the Capt. My RZ sits about the same height as stock sans air. With some air it will raise you up well over one inch. It also sits about 3/4 inch forward. It is the most compfortable seat I have ever had even w/o any added air. It is the least comfortable when full of air. I ride it mostly w/o air, but on long hauls I adjust the three different chambers to help circulation. My back seat babe says her seat is the best. I would not recommend the seat for inseams much under 30 inches.