Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Bulbs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 AM
hot95hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dh2683
You can't go by months or years. How many miles do you do in a year?

I think I read they only last like 300 hrs & that number is reduced if your like me and ride with high beam on in daylight. I'd like to find something better also but I guess it's a small price to pay for being seen in the daytime.
Mine don't last more than 18-24 mo. also.
Why ride with high beams on? My Fatboy has passing lamps on it I use them with low beams in the day. What I do is flash High Low High Low when I see an individual that I think may not see me. It tends to get their attention easily. It's very effective

Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Queston. Wagner make a bulb.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've used Hella 80/100W H4 bulbs for the past 14 years or so and have replaced them maybe three times in that period. You can find them here. The additional ~3A of current has not been a problem on my wiring or connectors. I don't know if the 55/60W (stock-spec) variety will give the same result, but normally the higher-output bulbs don't last as long, so I would expect the normal-wattage bulbs to last at least as long as the higher-output bulbs I've been using and probably longer.

For about the past six years I've been running a modulator on the headlight (high-beam only), which I've been told can prolong the life of the bulb. This is because it modulates at 20-100% 4X/sec. during daylight hours, and this reduces heat which kills bulbs.

This is OT, as the OP didn't ask about light output, but E-code (European) headlights provide a much-improved light pattern and "seeing distance" over the stock non-fluted headlights. I replaced mine with these Hella E-code headlights, which represented a great bang-for-the-buck upgrade at only about $33. I would estimate my "seeing distance" on high-beam is double that of the stock lenses, and the low-beam pattern provides a much broader area of coverage.

Last edited by iclick; 12-17-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

iclick thanks for the great info!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:26 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been using PIAAs - I think I'm getting almost a full season off of them 15-20,000 miles. I know these things are going to give up on me so I carry a spare in the bag all the time.

I have my high beams on all the time - my observation is that driving lights help but the headlight provides the main attention-getter for turning and oncoming traffic. Have a look at oncoming bikes when you are on the road - you can easily tell those with high beams on and they stand out a lot more than low beams - particularly during the day.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:30 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have run PIAA's in my last 3 bikes and have yet to have and issues with them. I have them in all 6 lights in my truck and had them in my last truck as well.

In the bike I run the anti-vibration H4. I had 22k on the one in my last bike. I use the extreme white plus that burns at 4K

http://www.piaa.com/Powersports/bulbs.html

Old 12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Been running the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra but have been thinking of going with PIAA's.

Anyone know of a good place to purchase the PIAA's?

Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO
Silverstar are automobile bulbs, not designed for vibration and shock from motorcycle use.

You need a motorcycle bulb like a PIAA motorcycle bulb that is made to withstand vibrations and shock. I had a set of PIAA bright white bulbs I used on two Harley's for over 4 years and 40,000 miles before I purchased my Goldwing. I plan to use them again if I am crazy enough to get another POS Harley.

DON'T TOUCH THE BULB, clean with alcohol before installing, as mentioned a single fingerprint can reduce the life considerably.

Steve
Do I detect an attitude from the Goldwing rider?

Lighten up a little!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:46 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hot95hog
Why ride with high beams on? My Fatboy has passing lamps on it I use them with low beams in the day. What I do is flash High Low High Low when I see an individual that I think may not see me. It tends to get their attention easily. It's very effective
Because I Want all the help I can get to keep some Jackass from turning left in front of me.

I have passing lamps also , but you still can't beat a high beam Silverstar or PIAA lamp

Old 12-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Harley.Driver
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone experience with the
Extreme Xenon Super White H-4 Bulb, 60/55 Watt ,kuryakyn Partnr: 2222
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/IMID/793

Quick Reply: Headlight Bulbs!