Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a Road King Custom

OK, I know it's already lower than the standard and classic but I want it even lower. But of course still have a rideable bike.
Can anybody tell me what they have done to their RKCustom to lower it or also just a good course to take and good item brands etc...
I usually don't ride with a passenger and have never had a issue with bottoming out. I was looking at the TJ lowering kit but wanted to ask if anybody has experience with this or just feedback on what people have done to lower the custom.
Appreciate any info.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine bought the tj lowering kit and nothing lined up as far as mounting the bags. He called them and they said from time to time this happens . If u buy them make sure u can get your money back. What my friend did was bought a new set of streetglide shocks hes happy now good luck

Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lindsey141
OK, I know it's already lower than the standard and classic but I want it even lower. But of course still have a rideable bike.
Can anybody tell me what they have done to their RKCustom to lower it or also just a good course to take and good item brands etc...
I usually don't ride with a passenger and have never had a issue with bottoming out. I was looking at the TJ lowering kit but wanted to ask if anybody has experience with this or just feedback on what people have done to lower the custom.
Appreciate any info.
Be careful about going to low, I took the SG shocks off for stock length and a lowering kit, it is now about 3/4" lower than stock and will bottom out the tire into the fender solo on a hard bump. Rubbed through the wiring harness and took out a couple wires.

Thought about lowering the front instead?

This kit works great:

http://intermountaincycleproducts.com/Parts.php

made it handle great, nice and tight. No more sloppy front end.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
billydely
6th Gear

If you lower the custom, wouldn't it be too low to take most turns comfortably? I only ask because I drag the floorboards on my stock FLHR.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Originally Posted by streetgliderick
A friend of mine bought the tj lowering kit and nothing lined up as far as mounting the bags. He called them and they said from time to time this happens . If u buy them make sure u can get your money back. What my friend did was bought a new set of streetglide shocks hes happy now good luck
It says on their web page about possible clearance issues with the bags so I appreciate the heads up. I don't understand how this happens with some bikes and not others but at least they give you the warning.
I appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Be careful about going to low, I took the SG shocks off for stock length and a lowering kit, it is now about 3/4" lower than stock and will bottom out the tire into the fender solo on a hard bump. Rubbed through the wiring harness and took out a couple wires.

Thought about lowering the front instead?

This kit works great:

http://intermountaincycleproducts.com/Parts.php

made it handle great, nice and tight. No more sloppy front end.
Thanks for the link. This is something I haven't seen before and I'm going to look further into it. Not sure if it's the look and feel I'm going for but also don't want to create any other issues like the tires rubbing through wires etc... Thats why I'm here asking before I do somethin I might later regret.
Appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Originally Posted by billydely
If you lower the custom, wouldn't it be too low to take most turns comfortably? I only ask because I drag the floorboards on my stock FLHR.
So far I haven't had any problems dragging floorboards etc... Not on this bike anyway.
But I'm not a very aggressive rider anyway,... anymore.
It really seems like the clearance is there to go a bit lower... and it seems I remember a while back it being mentioned how it has been done without problems and was hoping one of these folks would show up and tell how they did it. And how it eventually turned out.
I do appreciate you feedback though.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

One of the first mods I did to my RK Custom was a set of Progressive 412 series 11.5" rear shocks. They bottomed out too often. I have since gone to the Arnott Air Systems "Aldan" System. It drops to 9.5" for ease of parking/backing without a very harsh ride when aired up to 12" I haven't had any issue dragging floorboards and I haven't touched my extended saddlebags. Naturally when I'm scootin around dropped an inch or two, I'll scrape the boards in a mild turn. I also went 1" under RK Custom stock in front with HD's "Profile Low" front end lowering kit.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

IMOP---Just use eather H-D lowering kit 54599-02 or 54614-05 to lower the front forks, and your bike will still handle OK. I did mine when I went with chromed fork lowers, I also raised floorboards when I put on floorboard extentions. If you ride at 90% to 110% you will still drag the boards.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM
assassin307
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stevepacman
One of the first mods I did to my RK Custom was a set of Progressive 412 series 11.5" rear shocks. They bottomed out too often. I have since gone to the Arnott Air Systems "Aldan" System. It drops to 9.5" for ease of parking/backing without a very harsh ride when aired up to 12" I haven't had any issue dragging floorboards and I haven't touched my extended saddlebags. Naturally when I'm scootin around dropped an inch or two, I'll scrape the boards in a mild turn. I also went 1" under RK Custom stock in front with HD's "Profile Low" front end lowering kit.
I went with the Arnott system on my ultra and I'm very happy with it; so is my wife!

Quick Reply: Lowering a Road King Custom