Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lowered the wife's RK Custom's front 1 1/4" a couple years ago. Bringing the front down makes a huge difference, she's 5'2" and she's almost flat-footed although she also has a custom seat. She just has to be a little more careful around the corners. It's really not too bad, she just rides that thing like a sport bike.
Mark

Old 12-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepacman
One of the first mods I did to my RK Custom was a set of Progressive 412 series 11.5" rear shocks. They bottomed out too often. I have since gone to the Arnott Air Systems "Aldan" System. It drops to 9.5" for ease of parking/backing without a very harsh ride when aired up to 12" I haven't had any issue dragging floorboards and I haven't touched my extended saddlebags. Naturally when I'm scootin around dropped an inch or two, I'll scrape the boards in a mild turn. I also went 1" under RK Custom stock in front with HD's "Profile Low" front end lowering kit.
Thanks for the reply. This looks like something I might be interested in. Did you do the install yourself or have someone install it for you? If you did yourself can you tell me of any problems you ran into etc..
Also, I was checking their website and was wondering what was the difference, besides price, in the system you chose and the Bilstein system and why you chose one over the other.
I will be checking with the site for all the info but would also like to hear some feedback from someone at the consumer end as well.
I appreciate any info you could pass on to me.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mark98012
I lowered the wife's RK Custom's front 1 1/4" a couple years ago. Bringing the front down makes a huge difference, she's 5'2" and she's almost flat-footed although she also has a custom seat. She just has to be a little more careful around the corners. It's really not too bad, she just rides that thing like a sport bike.
Mark
Mark, Thanks for the reply. Any chance you have a photo of the bike lowered. I'm just curious how the stance looks when just the front is lowered.
There have been a couple of responses from people who have done this but I'm thinking it might not be a look that I'm going for.
But I may consider doing both front and rear 1" each.
Thanks again.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
sdguyman
Novice

I'm in the process of installing the Burly Slammer Kit on mine. I added the rear shocks yesterday and will be installing the front forks today.

Rears look amazing. Shocks are 10.5 inches. The front should drop 2 inches according to the kit specs.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Originally Posted by sdguyman
I'm in the process of installing the Burly Slammer Kit on mine. I added the rear shocks yesterday and will be installing the front forks today.

Rears look amazing. Shocks are 10.5 inches. The front should drop 2 inches according to the kit specs.
Any chance you could post some pictures when your done?
Would also like to hear how the ride is.
Thanks.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lindsey141
Thanks for the reply. This looks like something I might be interested in. Did you do the install yourself or have someone install it for you? If you did yourself can you tell me of any problems you ran into etc..
Also, I was checking their website and was wondering what was the difference, besides price, in the system you chose and the Bilstein system and why you chose one over the other.
I will be checking with the site for all the info but would also like to hear some feedback from someone at the consumer end as well.
I appreciate any info you could pass on to me.
Yes, I did the install myself. It wasn't that bad. It was just time consuming getting the air lines and wiring dressed up nice and clean. If I recall the Arnott has a "can" around the air bag and the Bilstein's bladder is open? Also, the Arnott has 9 or 11 thumb-screw adjustments for pre-load feel. So I picked the Arnott for look and the ability to adjust the feel seperate from height.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
sdguyman
Novice

Originally Posted by Lindsey141
Any chance you could post some pictures when your done?
Would also like to hear how the ride is.
Thanks.
I'll take some pics over the weekend. Got the front springs on last night. It looks really good. I'm in the process of having my bike painted and adding a completly new Intake and Exhaust system. I plan on firing it up for the first time in 3 months this weekend.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 AM
anthonysj1
Novice

I lowered my 07 standard Road King with the harley 1" lowering kit in the front and the 2 1/2" lowing bracket that bolts on the shock that changes the angle of the shock. the only problem i had was i took out almost the whole wiring Harness in the rear fender. from bottoming out on the fender because it was to low. but i reran the wiring harness to the side of the fender not the top. The 07 comes with air shocks to stiffen up the ride. All I do is put 12 pounds air in the shocks and it doesnt bottom out any more even with the old lady on the back. It rides really smooth now.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Originally Posted by anthonysj1
I lowered my 07 standard Road King with the harley 1" lowering kit in the front and the 2 1/2" lowing bracket that bolts on the shock that changes the angle of the shock. the only problem i had was i took out almost the whole wiring Harness in the rear fender. from bottoming out on the fender because it was to low. but i reran the wiring harness to the side of the fender not the top. The 07 comes with air shocks to stiffen up the ride. All I do is put 12 pounds air in the shocks and it doesnt bottom out any more even with the old lady on the back. It rides really smooth now.

That is a very nicely done RK you have there.
also, I apprciate the heads up on the wiring harness.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:01 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a Progressive 1" lower springs in the front and Progressive 411's 11.5" in the rear. I think the stock shock height of the Custom is already 12' so it would not give you much clearance. I just called progressive and they asked a bunch of questions like how much I weight, how often do I ride 2-up, do I do alot of touring. Then they recommended the shock type. Real good people as far as my experience.

Quick Reply: Lowering a Road King Custom