Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker DD7

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I have an 07 6 speed, after my 103 build with 510 cams, I could do 110 in fourth gear and hella slip the clutch taking off in 1st. I installed the 30 tooth andrews front gear and problem solved. A hell of a lot cheaper than regearing a transmissiom. 40k and still running strong.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:19 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

The cruise drive 6 is a huge compromise.It was designed to optimize fuel mileage,noise and cost to manufacture.Rideability came in last............

Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my build, I find that the 6th gear works great on the slab, but that is the only place I use it. I sure don't want another gear, but I don't want to sacrifice the direct drive just to get a shorter first. I often find myself in heavy traffic and I hate slipping the dang clutch all the time. There is plenty of torque for the current build, however 1st is just too tall for heavy traffic. That what's started me thinking about this change, plus the bearings going away on a trip from Washington to the Key's has me concerned about reliability of the HD tranny. Other comments about the DD7 being smoother, etc. are just icing on the cake for me. I just don't want to spend 3000 on the bike unless it is really that much better of a tranny.

Thanks for the input folks!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Trek
Tourer

Well, my Indy shop guy talked me into it...he is installing it next week. I'm hopin' it's a significant improvement. I did get a chance to see the two trannys side by side. There is noticeable difference in the quality. I took pictures, but they didn't turn out...oh well. Weather is staring to turn around here so I will be able to ride as soon as he is finished with the install.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well once my tranny goes I will be having the 7 speed installed. The gears being shorter would keep the engine in the sweet spot longer. I don't mind shifting gears,it's part of the fun riding the bike. And baker seems to be the king of bike trannies.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Trek
Tourer

Just to report, the DD7 is now installed. First gear has dropped significantly, but not too low. I can still get through an intersection without having to shift if I don't want to without redlining the bike. However, it does now allow me to idle along at about 5 mph where the stock tranny idled at about 8 or 10 mph. Kind of tough in stop and go freeway traffic. I hope that I won't have to slip the clutch so much now.

It is considerably easier to find neutral.
Shifts very smoothly.
Feels like I did do engine work. I find that I am still in the power band when I shift where before I had to go over the powerband to stay in it when I shifted.
Speedometer is only 2 mph off--that will fix easy when I recalculate with the Thundermax
Cruise works just fine. I don't have the 6th gear light yet, but I believe that will come back with a bit of tweaking with the software on the Thundermax...just not very motivated as it is in the 30's around here...
I am extremely happy with this upgrade. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

As an added bonus, I found that two coils were cooked on my stator so I just saved myself some trouble by having that replaced at the same time. Hate things that don't start..
I also added the AIM clutch upgrade...easy to hold the clutch at idle and I believe that there is not slippage now, though that probably could only be proven on a DYNO

Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Trek
Tourer

Just an update: 200 miles now, Thundermax was able to calibrate the DD7 without using the Baker adjuster. Apparently, Baker doesn't even ship such an item anymore as they have changed their product in such a way as to illuminate the need.

The 6th Gear light works as well as the cruise control.

This is ending up to be a great upgrade. But, then I'm planning on keeping this bike a long time.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trek
Just an update: 200 miles now, Thundermax was able to calibrate the DD7 without using the Baker adjuster. Apparently, Baker doesn't even ship such an item anymore as they have changed their product in such a way as to illuminate the need.

The 6th Gear light works as well as the cruise control.

This is ending up to be a great upgrade. But, then I'm planning on keeping this bike a long time.
Well, hope you're thrashing the hell out of that tranny this summer! How 'bout a long term update? I'm really dissatisfied with my stock 6, but hate to drop another 3 grand in the ol' girl. But judging by your review I think I would if I knew that it would finally make me happy. I love everything about my 09, except for this damn tranny. I don't mind the gearing actually, but I have some serious slop that drives me crazy, and I just can't adapt as much as I try. I think the only thing holding me back is "7" gears, and the possibility that the 1st gear might be too low. Thanks for your time.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Trek
Tourer

Originally Posted by ftzoid
Well, hope you're thrashing the hell out of that tranny this summer! How 'bout a long term update? I'm really dissatisfied with my stock 6, but hate to drop another 3 grand in the ol' girl. But judging by your review I think I would if I knew that it would finally make me happy. I love everything about my 09, except for this damn tranny. I don't mind the gearing actually, but I have some serious slop that drives me crazy, and I just can't adapt as much as I try. I think the only thing holding me back is "7" gears, and the possibility that the 1st gear might be too low. Thanks for your time.
I am riding a lot since the upgrade to the DD7. I would have to check, but I'm sure I have over 5000 miles on it by now.

It is a tight feeling transmission
Easy to find neutral
1st Gear: I now do 10 mph at 1000 indicated rpm. I disremember what it used to be but I think it was around 15 to 18 mph. Hated it for freeway gridlock time.
Much easier to stay in the power curve with the gearing. Only use 7th when I'm doing over 70. Before I would run it to the top of the power curve, shift and find that I was below the power curve. With the DD7, I can shift before I reach the top of the power curve and still find myself inside the power curve after shifting.

It is a lot of money. However, I have traded/bought 4 of these baggers. I like this one and each upgrade in years has brought with it a set of issues that annoy me. So, I 've decided to build this one up the way I want it and then swap out motors, etc. when the time comes. I believe I've bought my last new Harley. I think I will be happier with just upgrading this one...hope I'm right..time will tell.

It was a good upgrade to go with the DD7. I would strongly suggest that you also change the bearing to the larger (race) version that Baker offers. The seal in the primary is no longer a stock seal, but a friend of mine didn't do the upgrade and the bushing required on the Baker DD7 "walked" into the tranny and took out the tranny seal. The heavy bearing removes that possibility. Something like 40 more dollars....

I would do this upgrade in an heartbeat...if I were planning on keeping the bike long term. It has given the bike the feel of some engine work just because it keeps the bike in the power curve so much better than the stock version.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:29 PM
LoPhat
Stage I

I had a DD7 installed on my 07 Ultra 110.
I had it installed after a ride to "the Dragon" riding double-up with the wife and pulling an N-line trailer with all her stuff and my tooth brush...

Quick Reply: Baker DD7