Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
knepp1bj
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not trying to be "cute" but you don't want to add a king tour pack to the RG?! Seems like the RG with a king tour pack is just as good as the ultra, is it something else that you don't like the RG?!

again i am just wondering, not trying to be an a**

Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ONLY differences between the 09 and 2010 Ultras are the age, the CAT and the helical cut 5th gear. A newer bike is worth more and the CAT sucks. Those items are obvious.

But........for years, people have been calling their dealers and asking "what about that whine in 5th gear?" The answer from the MOCO and the dealers has ALWAYS been that the Straight cut "whine" was a good thing and "normal". They said that the straight cut was stronger and better for a heavy load / high torque / passing gear and so they used it for 1st and 5th and to not worry about the whine.

So the two issues are these.

1) Either the MOCO and dealers totally lied about the logical reason for the "whine" on the pre 2010's.

Or........

2) They have now built a bike with a weaker 5th gear because it will cut back on the customers 'Whining" about the 5th gear gear noise.

I'm thinking that other than age for resale value, if both bikes had zero miles, that the 09 is the better bike.

But...... I am biased for obvious reasons.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the amount of money you will lose on your RG and the extra money you will have to pay for an Ultra I think you'd be better off "upgrading" your RG.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You just bought that thing, what the..................

Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

not trying to be "cute" but you don't want to add a king tour pack to the RG?! Seems like the RG with a king tour pack is just as good as the ultra, is it something else that you don't like the RG?!
Nothing I don't like about the RG, I was just thinking that adding a tour box, lowers, CB radio is about the difference between trading for a UC....just kicking it around.

You just bought that thing, what the..................
I know, but anyone that knows me knows I don't keep one for long, now uaually longer than this ...just first RG and missing my trunk already, I ride to work and use it more than most, the trunk is just damm handy.

Dude, you will get crushed on the trade. Unless $$ is not an issue, I would add what parts and pieces you want to that very nice Road Glide and build something unique. This comming from someone that rides an Ultra.
Oh trust me on this, I'm not going to take a beating....if I can't get a super deal, then no deal....

I might not have explained myself in the first post....
if all things being equal, which is the better bike, 2010 or 2009....
not saying I will or would trade, deal would have to be in my favor for sure...just if you were looking, which year to go after....

Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Oh, and thanks for all the positive responses, I do value your opinions

Old 12-15-2009, 10:55 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Even with the cat, I think 2010's are better.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Casper
OK, here goes...
if you were going to buy a Ultra Classic, between a 2009 or a 2010....which one?
Price about same, equipment same, mileage same....etc.
I had an '09 Ultra (long story on why I don't now) and I just ordered a '10 Limited ... so I think I'm qualified for this thread.

Is there a difference in the cat and non-cat? is there no difference? get the one that floats your boat?.
Seems there is a lot of misinformation about the Cat issue on 2010 models. So I won't add to it, other than to suggest you do your homework.

I owned the '09 and have ridden the '10 Ultras ... if it had a Cat I couldn't tell the difference on power or performance. The two '10 Ultras I've ridden pretty much ran like my '09. In fact, I didn't even realize the Cat issue was an issue until I started reading the comments on this forum. Seems lots of folks have opinions ... even though they don't have the bike.

Personally, I decided that for the money I would be better served with a Limited. I almost pulled the trigger on adding a 103 kit to my '09, and so the Limited's motor is a good deal. I didn't bother to ask about Cat or not, and from my perspective it just wasn't enough of an issue to keep me from buying the '10 model.

Just wondering....and looking. I have the 2010 RG but I miss my trunk from my 07 EGC....and thinking that if I add CB, trunk, lowers etc to the RG I might as well get another UC.....
I guess the big question is whether you'd spend the money on fixing up the RG or just take the loss and get the Ultra? From what you're saying it looks like at least $3k worth of add-ons for the RG.

Funny, NADA doesn't have 2010 HDs listed yet. An '09 RG looks like a retail between $14k and $16.8k ... with suggested list at $19.2. That's the top price a dealer might expect on an exceptional bike on their floor. So I think you'd be safe to assume a trade somewhere in the $16k range at the most. Of course that all depends on what you've got on your RG ...

Now figure that if you add $3k worth of accessories to your RG you'll be right at the $19k price and you can maybe justify the trade. That's at least how I might look at it. If you ain't happy, and if you can afford to put $3k worth of goodies on the RG, then why not trade it? Take the $3k you'd lose either way ... putting on goodies or in trade. Big issue is how much do you want an Ultra?

A couple other options ... try Ebay. I sold my '09 Ultra on there a couple months back and got a really good price. A quick search for past Road Glide sales reveals '09 models selling between $17k and $20k. There's lots that didn't sell as well, but many of those were way over priced. Here's a link to a 2009 RG with less than 5k miles on it that sold for $20k ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...item2c52300c31

Compare your bike to this one to see how it lines up ... my guess is that a 2010 model should get as much or more than an '09. An Ebay listing with reserve price is about $10, and it would be worth it to see if you can get a buyer. If so, you may get more than on trade and have your whole problem solved.

Good luck with it.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:06 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the 09 due to I really don't care for the cat. I know you hear storys about every new bike that comes out but for me the cat is not somthing I want to mess with.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by doc_cj
I had an '09 Ultra (long story on why I don't now) and I just ordered a '10 Limited ... so I think I'm qualified for this thread.

Seems there is a lot of misinformation about the Cat issue on 2010 models. So I won't add to it, other than to suggest you do your homework.

I owned the '09 and have ridden the '10 Ultras ... if it had a Cat I couldn't tell the difference on power or performance. The two '10 Ultras I've ridden pretty much ran like my '09. In fact, I didn't even realize the Cat issue was an issue until I started reading the comments on this forum. Seems lots of folks have opinions ... even though they don't have the bike.

Personally, I decided that for the money I would be better served with a Limited. I almost pulled the trigger on adding a 103 kit to my '09, and so the Limited's motor is a good deal. I didn't bother to ask about Cat or not, and from my perspective it just wasn't enough of an issue to keep me from buying the '10 model.

I guess the big question is whether you'd spend the money on fixing up the RG or just take the loss and get the Ultra? From what you're saying it looks like at least $3k worth of add-ons for the RG.

Funny, NADA doesn't have 2010 HDs listed yet. An '09 RG looks like a retail between $14k and $16.8k ... with suggested list at $19.2. That's the top price a dealer might expect on an exceptional bike on their floor. So I think you'd be safe to assume a trade somewhere in the $16k range at the most. Of course that all depends on what you've got on your RG ...

Now figure that if you add $3k worth of accessories to your RG you'll be right at the $19k price and you can maybe justify the trade. That's at least how I might look at it. If you ain't happy, and if you can afford to put $3k worth of goodies on the RG, then why not trade it? Take the $3k you'd lose either way ... putting on goodies or in trade. Big issue is how much do you want an Ultra?

A couple other options ... try Ebay. I sold my '09 Ultra on there a couple months back and got a really good price. A quick search for past Road Glide sales reveals '09 models selling between $17k and $20k. There's lots that didn't sell as well, but many of those were way over priced. Here's a link to a 2009 RG with less than 5k miles on it that sold for $20k ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...item2c52300c31

Compare your bike to this one to see how it lines up ... my guess is that a 2010 model should get as much or more than an '09. An Ebay listing with reserve price is about $10, and it would be worth it to see if you can get a buyer. If so, you may get more than on trade and have your whole problem solved.

Good luck with it.
That's kind of what I'm thinking, either way, I'm out about 2 to 3 grand...might as well have what I want....

Quick Reply: Ultra Question