Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 road glide vented lowers

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2008 road glide vented lowers

hope someone can help me out, the big brown truck dropped off a package for me from H-D. i ordered a set of non vented lowers for my 2008 road glide, when i opened the box there is a set of vented lowers in it, so my question is for those of you that installed vented lowers can you post or email me pictures of the fairing lowers, i cannot find a part number on these so i am not even sure they are for a road glide, so i am hoping by looking at pictures it would give me some idea. or i just send these back and they will order me a another set of non vented lowers. what parts are needed for the fairing brackets and installation of vented lowers just in case these will work.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vented lowers are not for pre 2010 Road Glides. You can still use them but you will have to raise the front faring in order to do so. I think there is a bracket to do that but that's about all I know.

Last edited by NoCoLoco; 12-14-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

what part number did you order??????????????????? have you called the people you ordered from??

the box should have instructions in it and on that should be the part number....

Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The vented lowers are made for all tourings models, except pre-2010 Road Glides (as mentioned). The problem on the 2009 and prior RGs is that the vented lowers hit the bottom of the fairing.

I have vented lowers on my 07 RG, but had to lightly notch the rubber trim on the lowers. I already had the lowers, and this was before the 2010s came out.

In 2010, HD riased the RG fairing by 1/2" or so. Marcparnes posted a thread on how to change the brackets. Not expensive, but a little work.

The non vented lowers made specifically for pre pre-2010 RGs work almost too good......no air gets by,

If you do a search on this forum you will find all the info you need.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 AM
PaFatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the "non-vented lowers on my 05' RG. I saw on E-glidegoodies, a vent kit for my lowers. I may put them in, but in the summer, I actually could take the lowers off. I do love them in this PA weather, and they look good too.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

You should have a 58861-04 (or -05, -06, -07, -08, -09 depending on color)
if your bike is crimson red sunglow, it looks like your part number should be 58861-08COZ

Old 12-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

To answer your question the parts needed to make the vented lowers work are 58530-10 which is the inner fairing mounting bracket and 58454-10 and 58460-10 which are the chrome fairing brackets that mount to the engine guard. These together will tilt the fairing up and forward allowing the vented lowers to be used on a pre-2010 Road Glide. From what I have read a pretty simple swap. Gonna be doing it myself this winter.

Or you could send the lowers back for the correct ones. I would be curious how the mix-up happened even if I didn't send them back.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A good buddy tried some aftermarket vents on his "non vented" lowers. Didn't work nearly as well as the HD ones. Not even close(he later sold them and bought the HD vented lowers).

Taking them off works for many, certainly not difficult. However, for me (and many others) the best feature of the lowers on a RG is the reduction of buffeting.

Originally Posted by PaFatboy
I have the "non-vented lowers on my 05' RG. I saw on E-glidegoodies, a vent kit for my lowers. I may put them in, but in the summer, I actually could take the lowers off. I do love them in this PA weather, and they look good too.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

called the dealer, double checked the part number, we had the correct part number and description. 2008 FLTR non vented lowers crimson red sunglo. H-D just packaged the wrong part in the box so they are going back.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gregbenner
A good buddy tried some aftermarket vents on his "non vented" lowers. Didn't work nearly as well as the HD ones. Not even close(he later sold them and bought the HD vented lowers).

Taking them off works for many, certainly not difficult. However, for me (and many others) the best feature of the lowers on a RG is the reduction of buffeting.
I don't much care for the aftermarket vents. I'd rather just take the lowers off in the summer. I suppose if I had a RG I might feel differently.

Quick Reply: 2008 road glide vented lowers