Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Bad A$$ Light!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:33 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
I really like the idea but almost $500 for a tail light... Ouch..

and to know all it would take for someone that really wanted you light was a phillips screwdriver and what - one minute of time and its Gone???

Now that would suck....
Wow...you just gave me an idea...forget the Christmas sales! lol

Forget that...I've seen how many members here have a CCW...

Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just down at HD shop and they have a brightass light display that is working so you can cycle through the different display settings. The guy behind the counter say "just dont look directly into the light". Guess what I did? Heh heh heh.....I'll let you know when my sight comes back.....Man, those are some bright *** lights!!!!

Last edited by JohnnyBravo; 12-15-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

After reading this whole thread, I have two concerns.

1. Morons will still not see you, no matter how bright your light is. Hell, they don't see me when I am flying two 3 foot by 5 foot American Flags. I am not saying don't use a bright light, I am just saying that you should not assume you are safe just because you have one. Somebody will still find a way to not see you. Use the bright light, but combine it with alert, defensive riding.

2. If the light is really as blindingly bright as the claims, is it a good idea to have oncoming drivers blinded momentarily???? Just food for thought. I have never seen the light so I don't know if this would really be a concern. Just thinking out loud.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonhdguy
Wow...you just gave me an idea...forget the Christmas sales! lol

Forget that...I've seen how many members here have a CCW...

I also have a CCW - but when I am up in my room - all it take is one guy and his screw driver... probably Never happen but its something to think about... These ******** know prices and ebay is a perfect spot...

Last time I was at Street Vibrations - I was leaving Reno and getting gas... Super nice custom HD was pumping next to me and was sitting on a Towel... I said "Seat not ready didn't seem to slow you down today?" He respose was... "I rode in with my new custom seat - but someone liked it better - this morning is was gone...

its just part of life..

BAL is still a great product and I would love one... I run Kuryakyn Panacea Taillights and they weren't cheap... They were state of the art 4 years ago.. But to cut loose with $440 for another set??? Maybe Santa???????????

Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonhdguy
Can't wait to see it! I was on their site last night. Thinking about the same like you put on. Hoping the smoked lens will look good with smoked turn lights. I'm still holding out for a sale price somewhere before christmas...lol
Check their list of retailers. My local dealership (Tramontin HD) was listed as a retailer and had a 20% off sale for the Holidays. So I got my BAL-3ST for 20% off the MSRP of $249. I paid $199. The normal BAL is $199 and if you catch a 20% sale you'll get it for $160. Very good investment if you ask me.

Last edited by Heatwave; 12-15-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by harley0711
I really like the idea but almost $500 for a tail light... Ouch..

and to know all it would take for someone that really wanted you light was a phillips screwdriver and what - one minute of time and its Gone???

Now that would suck....
For $10 BAL sells security screws to replace the stock phillips screws. Essentially these are SS star screws that make removal alot more difficult.

I simply went to my well-stocked local hardware store with the stock screw and bought 2 SS allen screws with the same threads and length. Cost was less than .50 and I think the security is now more than sufficient to keep most thieves in check.

BTW Here's a pic of the BAL-3ST on my bike. As soon as BAL has an amber replacement LED turn signal, I'm all in.

Attached Thumbnails Just installed Bad A$$ Light!-sany0255.jpg   Just installed Bad A$$ Light!-taillight.jpg  

Last edited by Heatwave; 12-15-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The ten dollars gets you security screws and a special bit to remove them. I got them. A little extra security against theft. That and insurance...

Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
WORKD4IT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We all know if somebody wants something...there gonna take it. I paid the 10 bucks for the "security screws" to slow em down a bit.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
For $10 BAL sells security screws to replace the stock phillips screws. Essentially these are SS star screws that make removal alot more difficult.

I simply went to my well-stocked local hardware store with the stock screw and bought 2 SS allen screws with the same threads and length. Cost was less than .50 and I think the security is now more than sufficient to keep most thieves in check.

Actually they are a little more than star screws. Below is a pic of the security screws and the bit. The bit can only be used one way. I have the BAL-3ST as well and bought the screws as an added bit of security. Been running this light for several months now. Love it. Keeps people off my *** for sure.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Actually they are a little more than star screws. Below is a pic of the security screws and the bit. The bit can only be used one way. I have the BAL-3ST as well and bought the screws as an added bit of security. Been running this light for several months now. Love it. Keeps people off my *** for sure.

Now I remember why I didn't get the BAL security screws and decided to go with a small ss allen...I figured several years from now if I need to replace the light for whatever reason...there's not a prayer that I'll be able to find that special tool to remove those screws.

Quick Reply: Just installed Bad A$$ Light!