Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS stories, Who's got any butt puckering experiences to share?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:39 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ABS stories, Who's got any butt puckering experiences to share?

Just wondering how HD's ABS braking system is doing out in the real world now that it's out there on many bikes and winter has set in.

Fall and winter brings many wet and nasty riding days, huh? Those of you with ABS who ride rain or shine must have experienced a butt puckering wet braking event by now where your ABS braking system was activated.

I'd like to know how it performed for you. Several of my friends who are shopping FL's are considering opting for ABS. I'd like to be able to offer them some real world examples of how you relied on it to survive/avoid getting splattered or downed, or perhaps if it didn't do as well as expected.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by oinker02; 12-14-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:47 AM
Wes10RG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A co-worker in Riverdale, MD told me that it has saved him 2 or 3 times so far. I don't have any other details but it helped me decide to get ABS on my 2010 FLTRX. If you are a motorcop who rides for a living you would not want ABS but most other riders benefit from it. Just my .02

Old 12-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Snuffy1
Cruiser

The second day I had my UC a car pulled out in front of me. He saw me and stopped in the road. A school bus was beside me so I could not avoid the car. I hit both brakes as hard as I could and the bike just stopped, no slide or anything. Worked GREAT!!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Snuffy1
The second day I had my UC a car pulled out in front of me. He saw me and stopped in the road. A school bus was beside me so I could not avoid the car. I hit both brakes as hard as I could and the bike just stopped, no slide or anything. Worked GREAT!!
Did it stop because you had the confidence to apply the brakes hard, or because the ABS actually cut in and did it's stuff?

I have just sold an ABS bike and in 50k miles never got it to cut in. I have read various bike mag reports where the writer said having ABS gave him the confidence to use the brakes harder than usual, but they worked better than he expected, without the ABS doing anything. In other words we can often use the brakes harder than we think is safe.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 AM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Did it stop because you had the confidence to apply the brakes hard, or because the ABS actually cut in and did it's stuff?

I have just sold an ABS bike and in 50k miles never got it to cut in. I have read various bike mag reports where the writer said having ABS gave him the confidence to use the brakes harder than usual, but they worked better than he expected, without the ABS doing anything. In other words we can often use the brakes harder than we think is safe.
if he hit both brakes as hard as he could, the abs did kick in...it does not take that much pressure on the brakes for the abs to start working and if the bike you sold with 50k miles never had abs kick in, the abs is not working right.

OP- see if you can get hd's little dvd on abs. its an eye opener

Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 AM
kc347
Cruiser

I had a traffic light change quicker than I expected, hit the brakes harder and instantly felt the pulse of the ABS system. Bike never wavered, no skid or wheel lock up. A much shorter stopping distance. I would not own a big tourer without ABS. Pays for itself.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:38 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wes, I'm surprized you mentioned that motocops don't like it....I'd like to hear from them why.

Psycho, I've seen the vids and I was impressed. I'm just asking for realworld experience and how it worked or perhaps failed to work as expected.

Snuffy, when you did the panic stop, did you feel any pulsing like with cage style ABS?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Snuffy1
Cruiser

ABS cut in like it should.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psychocircus
if he hit both brakes as hard as he could, the abs did kick in...it does not take that much pressure on the brakes for the abs to start working
Brake pressure is not what activates the ABS. It is when a wheel(s) stops turning, even a minor amount, that the ABS kicks in.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 AM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser

That Harley ABS testing video sold me; I've had the back end of my Night Train squirm around too many times in panic stops. So now I'm looking for an 09 with ABS. I know we're suppose to look ahead and not get in those situations but if and when you do - I want the ABS as just one more aspect of safety.

Quick Reply: ABS stories, Who's got any butt puckering experiences to share?