Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS stories, Who's got any butt puckering experiences to share?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by emece
Really agree on that, now the ABS is awesome.

When I changed the brake lines the wrench did not bleed the ABS unit properly and, although the bike braked OK, the ABS was not operational (ABS light on). Well, I only need a block to check how well it works, as the 1st time I tried to brake (softly) over a painted road signal, the front tire blocked and me and my bike ended in the floor. So yes I highly recommend it.

Best regards.
That's harsh! Hope you were ok and the dealer paid for the repair.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:02 AM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
Did it stop because you had the confidence to apply the brakes hard, or because the ABS actually cut in and did it's stuff?

I have just sold an ABS bike and in 50k miles never got it to cut in. I have read various bike mag reports where the writer said having ABS gave him the confidence to use the brakes harder than usual, but they worked better than he expected, without the ABS doing anything. In other words we can often use the brakes harder than we think is safe.

I can't say the ABS makes me more confident but I have used them a few times. Believe me when they kick in its because you need them.

Meaning, when that car pulled out in front of me my brain didn't think "oh I have ABS I can brake harder" It was just a reaction not to get toasted.
When the ABS stopped me without sliding thats when I said WOW.
You have to be a smart rider always on the look out ABS or not.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:40 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my story...Sunny day, wife on the back, tunes playing, enjoying life when a guy in an S-10 pulls out of a side street. I saw him sitting there and I was watching him. He turned his head and look right at us...at least I thought he saw us.

I hit both brakes and the bike just shudders to a stop about one foot from the rear quarter panel.

The bike stalls because I didn't pull in the clutch. The guy in the S-10 instead of accelerating and trying to get out of the way..STOPS..and wide eyed, smiles and waves at me and then drives away.

I had two bikes at this time. A 1999 FatBoy and my 08 SG with ABS. Had we been on the FatBoy there would have been no way we would have made it without something bad happening.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My most memorable incident occurred coming up to a red light and hitting my back brake while I was still in the center of the lane where it's the oiliest. My bike went sideways, almost to the ground while I slide up to and through the intersection and about twenty feet beyond, still sliding sideways.
I tried to get away from the bike, and as I lifted my foot off the brake in my attempt to get away, the bike jerked back up strait and It continued rolling on down the road in my lane. Like Wow! One of two events I'll never forget.
I was intoxicated in the other non forgettable event so I don't think I will embarrass myself here with the sordid details. But I did survive that one too without incident. Whew! Now I know their are guardian angels after that event.

Bob

Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 AM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Long Time ABS User

I have ridden BMW's for over 30 years. I have several 100,000 miles awards from there US club (Equivalent to HOG). BMW has had ABS since the early 80's. I have had several of their bikes with ABS. Saved my A__! several times.

Bought my first Harley ( an 09 RK) in October 2008. Ordered ABS. Salesman tried to talk me out it. Had to have it because of my previous experience. I can say this, the BMW system is on an entirely different level. I'm a heavy front brake user. I'm also a more aggressive rider than most Harley riders I met. Had to replaced my front tire early because it was heavily cupped. I think the Harley ABS system at least contributed to that problem.

Had a friend that has an 09 RKC that is like most Harley riders I know, and uses the rear brake almost exclusively. It locked up on him on the Blue Ridge Parkway and put him sideways in the road. I haven't had that happen to me, but here again, I'm a heavy front brake user. I have had the brake lever almost jump out of my hand during heavy braking on an irregular surface. Brought it in and had it reprogrammed. Its better but still no perfect by a long shot.

The way I look at it its Harley's first generation ABS system. BMW is on its 3rd go around. Bottom line BMW has a much better system.

With that said I love my RK and haven't regretted buying it at all.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:22 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 09 egc for about 6 months now. I came up to an intersection and realized I had to turn right, and hit the rear brakes a little too hard. I could fell the rear ABS kick in and the wheel didn't slide. It's nice to know there working

Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Some of the stories here suggest either riders are riding on the ragged edge of safety with their ABS kicking in, or more likely it works too early. Are you guys all riding harder than before you owned a bike with ABS?

Anyone who uses their rear brake more than their front needs to be retrained! That is a recipe for disaster, with or without ABS.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I have ABS on my Road King because this was the bike that was available and got a good deal for the option. I had the classic left turn in front of me driver must have been 80 and the passenger looked to be older. It was close enough that auto behind the driver put her hand to her face and her mouth did the “O” WTF is this person doing. I applied a lot of brake front and rear ABS kicked in. I had lightened up the rear by applying so much front brake. In the end, besides me cursing an uneventful event, bike tracked perfectly.

I like ABS what I did today would usually take more time in the saddle to be done well. I have owned this bike for five weeks and put 2600 miles on her. I slowed her down like I have been riding it for many years. Been riding for 32 plus years and maybe would have had the same results without ABS, but maybe not.

This was from earlier this year and I now have more than 16k miles on the bike and I still really like ABS.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Some of the stories here suggest either riders are riding on the ragged edge of safety with their ABS kicking in, or more likely it works too early. Are you guys all riding harder than before you owned a bike with ABS?

Anyone who uses their rear brake more than their front needs to be retrained! That is a recipe for disaster, with or without ABS.
+1 on this post. .. I was wondering the same thing, if the ABS system gives a false sense of security and creates a more agressive riding style.
Ive riden about 70k in the last 4 yrs and have never locked up or even was close to locking up the tires due to a emergency. I have done it on purpose a few times to see how the bike reacts but not in a emergency. I'm a slow poke and slow down at ANY intersection or anywhere a cage is sitting and could pull out because they didn't see me.
I Know I am lucky for this and do feel ABS is safer than non ABS

Old 12-17-2009, 05:07 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To respond to the OP's title to this thread, the relationship between butt puckering and ABS is that with ABS you will remember the butt pucker, without ABS you may not be able remember the butt pucker.

I've had it kick in a couple of times. One instance on wet pavement, had to stop fast and the bike never waivered from a straight line. I am certain in this instance I could not have stopped in the same distance without ABS. Another instance, passing a truck at about 65 mph, car appears and I grabbed everything I could - both brakes were vibrating like hell but the bike tracked true and I was able to get out of the way.

To respond to the question as to whether ABS makes people ride more aggresively, I would like to think it doesn't affect the way I ride but, maybe subconciously it does. If we look at automobiles today with all of their crash protection, crumple zones, air bags, etc. - this has to lead to some overconfidence resulting in some of the retarded driving habits we have all observed in recent years. If you don't believe you will be significantly hurt in a crash, you may find it easier to use the cell phone, text, do your makeup and just generally not pay attention.

Quick Reply: ABS stories, Who's got any butt puckering experiences to share?