Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS stories, Who's got any butt puckering experiences to share?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Snuffy1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
Wes, I'm surprized you mentioned that motocops don't like it....I'd like to hear from them why.

Psycho, I've seen the vids and I was impressed. I'm just asking for realworld experience and how it worked or perhaps failed to work as expected.

Snuffy, when you did the panic stop, did you feel any pulsing like with cage style ABS?
I could feel both handle and petal go a little further but no pulsing.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes10RG
....If you are a motorcop who rides for a living you would not want ABS but most other riders benefit from it. ....
I have talked to several motorcops and they all want ABS.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
Just wondering how HD's ABS braking system is doing out in the real world now that it's out there on many bikes and winter has set in.

Fall and winter brings many wet and nasty riding days, huh? Those of you with ABS who ride rain or shine must have experienced a butt puckering wet braking event by now where your ABS braking system was activated.

I'd like to know how it performed for you. Several of my friends who are shopping FL's are considering opting for ABS. I'd like to be able to offer them some real world examples of how you relied on it to survive/avoid getting splattered or downed, or perhaps if it didn't do as well as expected.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
I've been riding bikes with ABS since 2001 (BMWs and a Yamaha) so I'm very used to how good modern bike ABS systems operate. I really disliked my RK's ABS at first because it would kick in prematurely frequently. Normal braking over road ripples would trigger it, making for some scary moments as the bike shot forward instead of slowing.

BUT thankfully HD recognized the system's flaws and issued a Service Bulletin involving a recalibration of the system so it doesn't kick in so easily and cycles faster. Now it works much better and I'm pretty happy with it. So yes, I would strongly recommend it.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:46 AM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting comment on motor cops not wanting ABS. They're not buying bikes without it out here. Talked to a local cop who attributes ABS with saving his bacon when he t-boned a car during a response. He was convinced he wouldn't have gotten it slowed down enough to minimize the impact without it. So far, I've only used it to get a feel for it. A panic situation is not the time to try for the first time.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Experienced abs this weekend. Took a short ride on Sat and on the return when I was about a mile from my house, a trail of 4 deer ran across the road in front of me. I was already braking for the first 3 but I didn't see the slow poke at the end of the line.

I had to increase my braking to avoid the last trouble-maker. ABS kicked in and made the puckering a non-event. Probably would have been OK without the ABS but I'm sure glad I had it. Without ABS, had there been a 5th in the herd, there would have been roadkill (not sure whether it would have been me or the deer). Thankfully I had abs which left a happy ending for all.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:47 AM
HamsGlide
Cruiser

I wish I had ABS, sure could've used it about a month and a half ago. Some foreign exchange student slowly moves over into my lane as I was accelerating past him. I applied the brakes thinking he would hear the mighty rumble of the Rinehart True Duals. Nope. Now this really loaded up my front end with a lot of weight as I had to abruptly apply the brakes and stop accelerating. He moves in even more confirming he was driving with a case of HUA (Head Up ***)! I had to squeeze the brakes a little harder and the front wheel locked up, skidding for about 12 feet. There was a parked car to my right and as the HUA driver pushed me closer to the parked car, the bike went down on the right side, as the front wheel was skidding pointed about 10 degrees to the right from straight. I'm fairly confident ABS would've helped me out greatly.

However, I don't remember applying rear brake due to the sudden nature of it all. If I had, I could've slowed down considerably faster. Lesson learned. Front/rear brake same time, all the time. Still practicing it. There's a fine line on these Harley's to the point of rear wheel lockup. I used to have a BMW R1100rt with ABS and that bike spoiled me silly with phenomenal braking.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Snuffy1
Cruiser

Go to an emty parking lot and get up to 25 to35 mph and try to lock up brakes. Get ther feel of the ABS kicking in. I did this before a riders course and it really helped.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:06 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my ABS had it kick in on two occasions that i believe may have otherwise ended badly. I practice alot in parking lots on hard braking procedures but in the real world you often encounter stuff that you just can't train for. Maybe I subconscioulsy hit both brakes hard enough because I knew I had ABS.....but it probably was just one of those o-chit moments and I lost my cool and would have locked them up if I didn't have the ABS.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

I have an 08 EGC with the ABS. That is the best money I have ever spent on the bike...bar none!!! I have had some pucker moments. Usually in the rain or on cast iron manhole covers. All I can tell you IF I had my wife on the back and I did not have ABS and I low or high sided due to me being cheap, and she got seriously injured or worst, would the $800.00 saved be worth it??? I will never have another bike with out ABS..period!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because of my time on dirt bikes and bikes with no front brake at all I go for the rear brake first and there have been several times when the ABS took out the brake completely; rough pavement seems to be the usual cause but there have been others.

No pulsing, the brake pedal kicked up once and the brake went away and what started off as a normal stop became a panic stop.

Yea I know, learn how to brake correctly. Trust me lifetime habits are hard to change.

Quick Reply: ABS stories, Who's got any butt puckering experiences to share?