Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairing, Anybody Bought These?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Man, I've been waiting months for this subject to come up!

I have them. There is a reason they look identical to the OEM version.
They are from the same mold. Proof is below. Some may say these may not be the same "quality" ABS as OEM, they are prob right but these are definately good enough to do the job. It's hard plastic and it's not going to fall apart anytime soon.

My experience? Heres what I found...

1) the paint is questionable. You can see the painter didn't take any time prepping the material. Its a little rough under the paint in a few areas. Scratches and such under the paint. Since I saved like 300 bucks on these I don't find it a big deal. The paint is the right color and matches perfectly. Just a little rough here and there. No biggie and nothing really noticable.

2) the METAL hardware that is included is cheap. The bolt and nut that holds the adjustable air flap thing is made of the most worthless bottom of the basement crap metal I've ever seen. The bolt did not even have lock tight or a friggen lock nut or lock washer, just a bolt with washer and nut. Easy fix though. I only have like 10 million bolts and nuts laying around the garage. Replaced it, moving on...

3) the glove box door and formed plastic pieces are gray or tan and need to be trimmed a little bit to remove all that left over material you sometimes see when things were "formed". You know, the little plastic junk left over on the sides while it was formed. I completely disassembled my lowers, and trimed around the edges with a razor and then painted with black vinyl paint from a spray can. Looks friggin awesome... was easy and fun.

While I was at it I painted anything gray or not already vivid black with vinyl black paint.

In my book these lowers are worth every penny. They are the same as the OEM model and do the same job. I have not told a sole (until now) that these are aftermarket. I even have had the bike in the shop and no one knew they were aftermarket. The only comment I've gotten was from a HD mechanic and it was positive. He mentioned he liked how I painted the glove boxes black.

So anyway I have had OEM lowers before on my Ultra. THese are about 90% the quality of OEM in my opinion. I would buy them again...
Back to the molding. Here are few pictures. When I disassembled the lowers I found strange markings in the most curious places mostly hidden out of sight. I found them "interesting". I looked up these markings on ChicagoHarley.com and they matched...

Edit: I used HD's quick detach hardware to mount to the bike. I used a little strip foam (like for doors) around where the lowers attach to the engine guard. Made things a little tighter...

Yes I have a Pink-ish blanket in my garage... Its good for painting on.

Hope this helps someone....

lp
Just what I was hopeing to hear!! Went to ebay, made an offer, $299.00 shipped! Thanks for all the info & pics, bike looks GREAT!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:43 PM
mdst
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea I bought a set also and was suprised to see the bar & shield with correct p/n.s along with made in the usa who da f knows ,, but like Ip says I'd buy em a again especially with a black bike

Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

Thanks lp

Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
MINI SSS
Cruiser

Ip. What year Road Glide did you mount them on? Would I have to make any modifications to fit my 2009 Road Glide. John

Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
nightglide
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I was looking at my bike in this pic.

here is mine below and I have the OEM lowers and I would say save your money and get the ones above, they look great.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 AM
rockhard69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look nice and for the price not bad at all.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

Anyone know of some aftermarket place that sells just the glove boxes? I bought my roadglide with the lowers, but would like the glove boxes for a little extra storage space...only HD want's a fortune for the stupid things. If I remember correctly, I could buy one of these entire aftermarket fairing sets for the price HD wants for the glove boxes alone.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Those look just like factory. Mikes pics are great. I wouldn't care if they were made in a church basement by handicapped Mexicans in Mongolia. I'd buy them regardless if they met my needs. Vivid black is cheap and easy to paint too. Git um!!!
A big "amen" to that! At this price, if the quality is near the factory item as described by people who have them, how could you go wrong?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:50 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like we have a winner! Consensus is in.... They're worth the $$.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,836 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by MINI SSS
Ip. What year Road Glide did you mount them on? Would I have to make any modifications to fit my 2009 Road Glide. John
I mounted mine on a 2010 Road glide and I had to trim the top cover piece to clear the fairing mount.
Also cut a little area around the rear brake master cylinder.
These will not work on a 2009 and below Road Glide unless you get the 2010 fairing mounts that lift up the entire fairing so the lowers will clear...

lp

Last edited by lp; 02-11-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Lower Fairing, Anybody Bought These?