Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC5 VS. Fuelpak

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:43 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC5 VS. Fuelpak

I've had the Fuelpak on my bike since almost new. I bought it the same time when I got my MO's thinking it was the best choice since they were both from the same company. I noticed that my bike didn't seem to run all that well when being held steady below 3K RPMs which is where most of our cruising is. With the way the Fuelpak is configured, there is no way to fix it unless contacting V&H and getting some numbers to input. Like it's a big secret!

Anyways, I've been looking for a PC5 for my bike and finally found one from a member (lp THANKS AGAIN!) here. I had a PC on my GSXR and it ran very well.

I got the package and went to the garage to install it. Pretty straight foward and simple. The Fuelpak was easier to install, but that's about it. Anyways, I got everything all buttoned up and went to start it. It fired up right away. Initial thoughts are the idle seems to be more steady. No jumps from 1K RPMs to 1300RPMs like with the Fuelpak. I haven't been able to take it out cause it's raining here in SoCal if you can believe it. Stay tuned for a real world comparison between the two.

I'd like to thank member lp for the PC5. He went above and beyond and even contacted Jaime @ Fuelmoto for a map for my set up. He also loaded the map into the PC5 for me so it was ready to go. What a stand up guy! Also, thanks to Jaime for sending out that map.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:54 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Nice looking EG. Lowered?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow... I guess it's a matter of who you talk to at V&H? I have SE Ventilater intake, V&H slip-ons, stage 1 download and V&H Fuelpak on my 09 FLHT. I called V&H and they said they'd help me out with settings if I have my bike A/F dyno'd and fax them my fuel curve. My bike runs very smooth and crisp with the canned settings installed but I'm curious as to the fuel curves on my bike, in my environment (Wi). But I have to wait a few months before I can have that done...

Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ElectraDave
Nice looking EG. Lowered?
Yes lowered about an inch IIRC.

Originally Posted by troop
Wow... I guess it's a matter of who you talk to at V&H? I have SE Ventilater intake, V&H slip-ons, stage 1 download and V&H Fuelpak on my 09 FLHT. I called V&H and they said they'd help me out with settings if I have my bike A/F dyno'd and fax them my fuel curve. My bike runs very smooth and crisp with the canned settings installed but I'm curious as to the fuel curves on my bike, in my environment (Wi). But I have to wait a few months before I can have that done...
My bike ran fine under power no matter where I was at in the RPM range. The problem sufaces when I'm just holding the throttle steady below 3K RPMs. It made me never have the bike below 3K RPMs.

According to your post, you have a stage 1 download and Fuelpak? Why do you need both? Wouldn't the download take the place of the Fuelpak or vice versa?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the ECU download basically alters the timing and increases the redline to either 6k or 6.2k rpm. The map can't enrichen the fuel mixture per EPA. The V&H Fuelpak obviously can as it's "for closed course/off road use only".

Old 12-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm currently running the fuelpak on my bike (police motor 103" with old style screamin eagle slip ons, se air filter, stock ECM) The bike runs as well as any HD I've ever ridden, pull strong, NO decel popping, backfires, etc.

I'm going to put in 255 cams this winter, and was hoping I could keep the fuelpak, but have reluctantly come to believe that I'm going to have to go to PC or TTS. V&H did send me a couple of maps for my bike, but I would have to do a stage I download at the very least. So I might as well put that money towards the PC or TTS.

I emailed fuelmoto for a recommendation on which one would be best for my application, got back a quote for each in reply. So now I'm trying to puzzle out which one will work best for me. I'm looking forward to your impressions of the PC compared to your experience with the fuelpak.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
Yes lowered about an inch IIRC.

My bike ran fine under power no matter where I was at in the RPM range. The problem sufaces when I'm just holding the throttle steady below 3K RPMs. It made me never have the bike below 3K RPMs.

According to your post, you have a stage 1 download and Fuelpak? Why do you need both? Wouldn't the download take the place of the Fuelpak or vice versa?
The fuel pack does nothing for your bike under 3000 grand in closed loop mode. The PC will let you do all your fuel from idle to wide open with timing. And the PC5 is even better it will let you do autotune and many other things.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Ok, I went on a pretty lengthy ride yesterday focusing on a steady throttle under 3K RPMs. The PC5 performed as intended. No surging idle and very smooth under 3K RPMs unlike the Fuelpak. Cruising under 3K RPMs is lovely now. I don't have to keep the motor at or around 3K RPMs anymore. The difference is like night and day. I should have went with the PC5 from the start, but I figured since I have V&H MO's, it would be a good idea to go with the Fuelpak. Boy was I wrong! The one thing the Fuelpak has going for it is ease of installation. It is much simpler to install than the PC5, but even the PC5 was simple. The PC5 just requires that the two O2 sensors be unplugged and capped on the harness side with the included caps.

Fuelpak pros
- Easier to install than PC5
- Easy to program (find setup and punch in numbers)
- Set it and forget it!

Fuelpak cons
- Does not compensate for changes below 3K RPMs
- Cannot control parameters without contacting V&H for punch in numbers
- Only V&H knows what these numbers do in each mode.
- Fuelpak can only go so far

PC5 pros
- Bike runs better compared to Fuelpak
- Easy to install
- One can easily tweak parameters
- Can purchase Autotune which makes things even easier
- Can run two maps

PC5 cons
- (Only a con if not computer savvy) Maps must be loaded with a computer
- A little harder to place PC5 harness. Fuelpak has one plug and a thinner harness and is mounted underneath the side cover. PC5 has two large plugs and a significantly larger harness which all needs to be placed under the seat.
- O2 sensors need to be unplugged and capped with supplied caps

Some of the things I mentioned aren't even hard. I'm just trying to cover all the bases. For me, hooking up the PC5 was just as or even easier than installing the Fuelpak. It's all pretty much common sense and following directions. I never loaded the map so I really can't speak of how hard or easy the actual loading is, but I would ASSuME it's pretty straight foward. I doubt I would have a hard time doing it.

If I had to do it all over again, I definately would get the PC5 and not waist my time or money on the Fuelpak. Like I said, the Fuelpak will only take you so far and everything is dependant on V&H giving you the right numbers for your problems. That's IF they want to supply you with different numbers instead of using the website numbers. With the PC5, if ordered from Fuelmoto, you can bet he has developed the right map for your application.

Trust me, I'm not biased in any way. I've tried both and I know what works better. I hope this helps!

P.S. My Fuelpak is for sale BTW!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Speaking of Power Commanders ...

I just ordered Fuel Moto's Power Package for my 09 RK Police 103ci this morning.

For $849 it includes: 1) SuperTrapp SE Slip-Ons (these are the old/real SE style ones and not the new/EPA-compliant/do-nothing SE ones in the current H-D catalog, 2) fishtail tips (yeah, I'm a sucker for nostalgia), 3) Fuel Moto's SE Stage 1 air cleaner, 4) pre-programmed Power Commander.

Should ship within 24 hours. I'm more interested in a cooler running bike than big noise or big power. I'll keep you posted with the results.

Also, in researching this, I spoke with a sales tech at Vance & Hines who told me they are releasing a fishtail slip-on in January 2010 for 09+ tourers. Right now, they just have fishtail slip-on #16731 for 95-08 tourers.

Last edited by Damascus; 12-14-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Damascus
I just ordered Fuel Moto's Power Package for my 09 RK Police 103ci this morning.

For $849 it includes: 1) SuperTrapp SE Slip-Ons (these are the old/real SE style ones and not the new/EPA-compliant/do-nothing SE ones in the current H-D catalog, 2) fishtail tips (yeah, I'm a sucker for nostalgia), 3) Fuel Moto's SE Stage 1 air cleaner, 4) pre-programmed Power Commander.

Should ship within 24 hours. I'm more interested in a cooler running bike than big noise or big power. I'll keep you posted with the results.

Also, in researching this, I spoke with a sales tech at Vance & Hines who told me they are releasing a fishtail slip-on in January 2010 for 09+ tourers. Right now, they just have fishtail slip-on #16731 for 95-08 tourers.
Well I'll be real interested in hearing how all this works out for you. I've got basically the same setup, only on an 07 police RK (same slip on's, se air cleaner) Are you going to put it on a dyno after you get everything all up and working?

Quick Reply: PC5 VS. Fuelpak