Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:11 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SE Compensator help please

I am getting ready to order everything that I need to pull this off, but I have a couple of things I need some help with.

1. What is the HD part no. for the outer primary gasket...

2. I am going to make my own locking tool. Can anyone verify that I have the right demissions...1/4"thick x 5-7/8"long x 1"wide.

3. This is what I will be ordering...will I need anything else?
SE compensator PN. 40274-08
Primary Gasket PN. ???
Primary Fluid

Were I live the nearest dealer is 3hrs away, so I am trying to cover all my bases before I jump into this. And I do have a service manual...
08 SG..

Thank you!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by harley-jones
I am getting ready to order everything that I need to pull this off, but I have a couple of things I need some help with.

1. What is the HD part no. for the outer primary gasket...

2. I am going to make my own locking tool. Can anyone verify that I have the right demissions...1/4"thick x 5-7/8"long x 1"wide.

3. This is what I will be ordering...will I need anything else?
Primary Gasket PN. ???
Primary Fluid

Were I live the nearest dealer is 3hrs away, so I am trying to cover all my bases before I jump into this. And I do have a service manual...
08 SG..

Thank you!
1. Gasket 34901-07 Service kit 17369-06 (2010 parts manual)
2. Not sure what dimensions are HD part 94102-09 (online HD)
3. If you need to remove inner primary you will need 34934-06 (2010 parts manual)
You may want to get o-ring for drain plug and gasket for derby cover. Make sure you have the right size sockets, torque wrench, loctite and a service manual.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Roadan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know the locking tool dimensions also. Hopefully gonna do the comp. install in the next couple of months and can make the tool at work.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:56 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Nocarb..

I am not going to remove the inner primary, but I would still like to get a parts manual.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why do you suggest a 2010 service manual when he has a 2008 SG?
just curious

dd

Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I "think" nocarb is just making reference as to where he got the parts numbers from......that being a 2010 parts manual. At least I HOPE that's what he was doing.

LOL!

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 12-12-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Well I don't think you need the locking tool unless you are going to do this everyday for a living..at least I did not.It was a pretty easy install..

Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...I am going to make my own locking tool. Can anyone verify that I have the right demissions...1/4"thick x 5-7/8"long x 1"wide...
That's about right...I used a piece of hardwood a bit longer then that and then cut to length for better bite on the gears. A piece of aluminum stock 1/4" thick will work also...just don't use anything that's very flexible as there's a lot of pressure needed to back out the comp bolt.

...This is what I will be ordering...will I need anything else?
Primary Gasket PN. 34901-07
Primary Fluid to suit your taste

I would also order the crankcase gasket (34934-06) and primary sealing fastners (five of 786A) in case you need to remove the case.

You might want to consider replacing the primary cover and derby cover bolts with the chrome stuff while you've got it apart - p/n 94052-07...

Old 12-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Rick06
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious why you decided to go with the SE Comp? Are you having any issues you are trying to solve?

I had a 103BB kit with SE255 cams installed on my 08 FLHR at 20K miles and it ran great for the next 8k then I started getting hot starts after gas stops and then it ate a starter clutch which was replaced under warranty.
Read on this forum that going with SE Comp / Hi Torque Starter and Comp Releases with the 103BB with SE255 cams was a good way to go. So I decided to have the SE Comp and HT Starter installed (bought both on a 25% off sale). They wanted 2 hrs labor and a special of 20% off labor so for $120 I had them do it. After they got into it they said they had to remove the inner primary (1 hr extra) to get the stock compensator out. I have read here on this forum that a little grinding will give enough clearance without removing inner primary. With the primary chain removed we noticed that the chain had been rubbing on the inner primary case and the HD Tech said it was the Crankshaft and thus probably most of my recent starting issues. Both Techs said that it will be covered under warranty and the parts guy said that all the parts were available to ship.
The Tech said that the HiTorque starter was probably a good choice but the SE Compensator may not be nessasary with the new crank even though I am having them install it along with Manual Compression Releases while the Heads are off since we will be doing a 3500 mi trip this summer through the Southwest States and I know it will be HOT.
The HD stock crankshaft part number has changed so my guess is MOCO has made some kind of change to it from original.
It should be all done in a few days but riding weather out here on the West Coast is pretty limited right now.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Why do you suggest a 2010 service manual when he has a 2008 SG?
just curious

dd
I did not suggest a 2010 service manual. Those part numbers came from a 2010 parts manual.

Quick Reply: SE Compensator help please