Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked around and from what I have found that seems to be the correct dimensions for the bar. Here are the part numbers again.
SE Compensator PN. 40274-08
Primary Gasket PN. 34901-07
SE heavy duty clutch spring PN. 37951-98 This was suggested to me in another thread, since your going to be in there anyway. It's about $23-$29 depending on where you buy from.

I have attached a picture of the tool(flat stock bar) being used to hold the sprockets for tightening or loosening the nuts. If it helps anyone. It's a small pic so you may have to look close.

Attached Thumbnails SE Compensator help please-94102-09-hd-tool-primary-locking-tool-1x.25x5.875.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you Veteran...Good info!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK found this a few minutes ago. It should be a real help to anyone getting ready to or in process of doing this job.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/testi...mpensator.html

Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that this is an old thread but I sure did not want to start another SE Compensator thread.
That said, I had an SE Comp. installed this Spring. The PN. 40274-08 is what is shown on the work order. I think that I've read somewhere in another thread that the new part# is: 40274-08A. Can anyone tell me if that's true? Also, if it is, was there a problem with the previous comp. (the one I have)?

Thanks in advance to those that reply.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE= was there a problem with the previous comp. (the one I have)?

Thanks in advance to those that reply.[/QUOTE]

well yes and no. a new engine seems to work fine with the standard compensator. But as miles get put on the bike, carbon build up in the heads increases compression. The higher compression is a problem during a second start if the bike does not sit long enough to decompress the cylinders. the extra pressure becomes a major obsticale in a hot start casuing the engine to kick back. the kick back causes a grind of the starter system and a bang of the compensator. Apparently replacing the compensator wit an SE compensator helps by transfering the rotational kickback to horizontal movement that the se compensator can absorb. the old compensator could not and this resulted in the bang sound. Ideally though, compression release would really address the root cause of the problem. there is a vendor on ebay that will do both heads for 125 and give free shipping back.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
well yes and no. a new engine seems to work fine with the standard compensator. But as miles get put on the bike, carbon build up in the heads increases compression. The higher compression is a problem during a second start if the bike does not sit long enough to decompress the cylinders. the extra pressure becomes a major obsticale in a hot start casuing the engine to kick back. the kick back causes a grind of the starter system and a bang of the compensator. Apparently replacing the compensator wit an SE compensator helps by transfering the rotational kickback to horizontal movement that the se compensator can absorb. the old compensator could not and this resulted in the bang sound. Ideally though, compression release would really address the root cause of the problem. there is a vendor on ebay that will do both heads for 125 and give free shipping back.
First I would like to thank you for the explanation of what is causing the bang and starter grinding noise. I've read a lot on the compensator issue and this was the first time that an explanation was given for the root cause.
Being that as it may, does it cause any harm or does it just cause embarrassment as my dealer tells me.