Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakota Digital

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:42 AM
StreetGliderRider
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dakota Digital

I'm just wrapping up my DD install, can anyone tell me if these gauges are really plug and play or is there going to be alot of calibrating. Need some info before I connect battery. Thanks

And a very big thanks to Dawg for the bracket part numbers

Old 12-11-2009, 09:17 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have the DD's, but have looked closely at them and am pretty sure there's no calibration necessary - with the exception of the odometer, which can only be done by Dakota. In other words, they can set the odometer mileage to what your mileage is now so that it matches. Otherwise, keep the stock gauge for 'proof' of when you changed it.

Here's the wording from DD:

MCL-3006-OT is a complete 6 gauge set that plugs directly into your stock wiring, and even use the stock mounting hardware and senders*. Fits all 04’-UP Harley-Davidson fairing models including Road Glide.

Last edited by FLHTCU Owner; 12-11-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:58 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have to calibrate the speedo,a friend of mine used his GPS!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The plug and play only pertains to the wiring, you will have to calibrate the fuel, tach, speedo, and oil pressure. The rear cyl temp and the volts are good to go, assuming you bought the 6 gauge kit....

Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 PM
StreetGliderRider
Advanced

OK here it is... the current milage on your anolog speedo can be set by you but has to be done within the first 100 miles - I've done it
08 and up you must change the setting for your fuel gauge.
Your gear indicator must be set while you ride and shift.
Everything else is ready to go, tech help at DD walked me through it, great people.
Now, I can't wait to get it out on the road.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:35 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

I had a lot of trouble with interference and the speedo...finally got it fixed, and your right about the tech support, great people!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 PM
StreetGliderRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by YtseJam
I had a lot of trouble with interference and the speedo...finally got it fixed, and your right about the tech support, great people!
what kind of interference and what was wrong with the speedo. something DD could help with.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:08 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

The speedo was picking up signal from the ignition which caused it to sporatically pick up the RPM. I would be at an idle, and the speedo was showing I was going 20 mph. My gauges are gen 1, so I had to hard wire them in. I changed the positive source, tried to seperate the wiring looms, checked the plug wires....nothing helped, even they ran out of ideas. We were to the point of replacing the gauge itself. I finally tried swapping the black wires coming from the bike, which were not labeled, and fixed it.

I must have called them once a day for a week after trying the latest suggestion....always patient and helpful. I gave them a run for their money!

Old 12-11-2009, 10:13 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Calibrated mine. Easy to do.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 PM
StreetGliderRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by YtseJam
The speedo was picking up signal from the ignition which caused it to sporatically pick up the RPM. I would be at an idle, and the speedo was showing I was going 20 mph. My gauges are gen 1, so I had to hard wire them in. I changed the positive source, tried to seperate the wiring looms, checked the plug wires....nothing helped, even they ran out of ideas. We were to the point of replacing the gauge itself. I finally tried swapping the black wires coming from the bike, which were not labeled, and fixed it.

I must have called them once a day for a week after trying the latest suggestion....always patient and helpful. I gave them a run for their money!
great to see you got them working

Quick Reply: Dakota Digital