Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fulmer M1 in 20^ temps

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:35 PM
09RKC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fulmer M1 in 20^ temps

First, fogging. I've tried Cat-Crap, RainX De-Fog, Z-Spritz and C-Clear. While it appears one product might be better than another, none are what I'll call good. I have to crack the face-shield open a bit to allow air flow do the defogging work. You can imagine, really cold wind inside.

And a problem with the helmet's design (I think). I wear a neck wrap and a full scarf ensuring the helmet goes over at least part of both. There's still much wind inside the helmet, not enough to clear the pastic of fogging but plenty enough to make one wish I could solve this problem. Yes, the helmet fits pretty snug. Not sure I'd want it tighter. I'm at my wits. All I can think to do is wear a full face cotton mask (only eyes bare) and maybe one of the scarfs.

The area of the jaw, the lower part of the face shield that comes down and (should) fit enlosing your neck, isn't a very good design part of this helmet. It's pretty open. I can easily fit a finger between my neck and the chin/jaw-part. I could put some foam on this 10" area with velcro...

But it's to the point I want to ask if I'm wasting my time with the Fulmer M1. I'm willing to switch helmets but would like to hear from those who've been through the same, or better yet those who haven't.

Tkx!!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:01 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,

Paul here, after speaking to you on the phone and viewing your helmet online. I would strongly recommend a new helmet. Personally, I don't like modular helmets.

In the winter time I use a full face helmet that is one piece. I purchased a Shoei RF1000 from Cycle Gear. It is a very expensive helmet, but I do not regret spending the money. Also, bought my wife one.

When it comes to buying a helmet you get what you pay for. I would have bought a more expensive helmet had I not bought my wife one. These helmets cost around 400.00

At the time I bought the Shoei, I was also looking at the Arai helmet. I believe a better made helmet will help your fogging issue.

Cycle Gear has a 100% satisfaction. You purchase the helmet, use the helmet and if you do not like it, take the helmet back. They will give you your money back. But, there is a time limit.

Hope this help
Paul

Old 12-11-2009, 09:10 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master

Doug, it may not take care of the fogging issue 100%. But, I am sure it will help. Plus you will have a very nice helmet for winter riding. Also, your head will not freeze.

When you have time. Go to Cycle Gear, tell them your problem, buy a goooood helmet even if it means to spend 400.00 or more. Try it out and if you don't like it give it back to them.

It doesn't get any better than that.

Paul

Last edited by hyperfocal; 12-11-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:51 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I also have a Fulmer M1. While I don't have the same problems as you do with the helmet, I'm not satisfied with it either. The fit just doesn't seem to be right for me. Too tight in some areas, and too loose in others. Plus for some reason the chin strap always catches on the upper part of my jackets. And yes, I have the fogging problem too. I use PJ1 Fog Blockers. Works ok, but yes I do have to open the face shield if I'm stopped or going slow.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:58 AM
hyperfocal
Road Master

Brad, Nice bike!!

Question, have you had any problems with your bike, such as replacement of front tire or any of the issues Dawg has mention.

Ride Safe,

Paul

Old 12-12-2009, 05:06 AM
carltex
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like previously stated get a full face. My Scorpion has a chin skirt that blocks alot of the air that comes up from your chin area. As far as fogging don't think there is anything more you can do. I have to crack mine too.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:42 AM
hyperfocal
Road Master

Carltex, I agree. I was not sure exactly what it was called, but it has a skirt under the chin. Also, has a nose bib, if you will. Both of these items help a whole lot.

Paul

Last edited by hyperfocal; 12-13-2009 at 08:59 AM.