Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009 | 09:13 AM
tenn.vol.
Road Captain

Well lets be PC and call them cheep-cheep, JUNK is too harsh!
Lets group them (comp) with the PAPER base gaskets and inner
cam bearings. Of both which I have had to replaced, and a SE
comp in the garage. Or we could call an ace an ace and a......
Tenn.Vol.

Old 12-17-2009 | 10:44 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I replaced my stock comp to the SE about three months ago, not because I was having trouble but because I had the primary completely disassembled to replace a faulty mainstaft bearing. The opportunity was there so I went for the gusto. I was having no trouble with the stocker except the starter clunk, which never bothered me much and after a while I didn't even notice it. After replacing it the clunk is gone and shifting seems to be a bit smoother, but other than that I can't tell much difference. I do not do hole-shots or otherwise abuse my drivetrain, so I'm sure there are advantages to this SE comp that I haven't sensed in my application and riding style.

Would I have done this upgrade had I not had the opportunity to do so without any extra labor involved? Probably not, as I wasn't really having any problems with the stocker. Looking at it at 32k miles reveals little wear, so I have no evidence to suggest that it would have given me problems in the long-run. My recommendation is that you should replace it with the SE comp only if you plan on doing some major engine work that might overwhelm the capacity of the stock comp, or you are having issues with the stocker that you feel will be rectified by a swap. My 2¢.

Old 12-17-2009 | 11:30 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Look how many high output cycles use belts drive primaries, they seem to do pretty good without any comp whatsoever....