Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009 | 12:46 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by thereal142
This compensator doesn't change the gearing...it's 34 teeth, same as stock. Any other rocket science questions? Most Master Techs learned that on day two or three.
My apologies brian surgeon, I thought they were refering to a part that actually needs to be changed for a reason other than "it banks, clunks or whines, so it must be a piece of ****"

Old 12-16-2009 | 01:05 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by hog-doc
My apologies brian surgeon, I thought they were refering to a part that actually needs to be changed for a reason other than "it banks, clunks or whines, so it must be a piece of ****"
Take care here hog-doc.

This place is populated by many very experienced HD owners who don't drink the MOCO koolaid. Many of us have engineering degrees and years of experience in all things mechanical and electrical-Me included.

If you are going to act/sound just like so many other dealer "techs", then spare me the BS. I can always get BS from my local dealer when I feel the need.

If however, as a "Master Certified Harley Tech" you wanna visit/chat and share a few company secrets, then feel welcome.

I ain't looked at all your posts, but so far it's starting to look like you tote an attitude that says all Harley owners are idiots, and you are the only person who really knows what is going on.

If you wanna earn points and be an ambassador for the MOCO, then read a few posts from DAWG.

Just sayin..........

Old 12-16-2009 | 12:34 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Looks like somebody thought they had a can of beans that turned out to be a can of worms. I will take all the help I can get. However my mechanical and electrical background do help alot.

Old 12-16-2009 | 01:38 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by oinker02
Take care here hog-doc.

This place is populated by many very experienced HD owners who don't drink the MOCO koolaid. Many of us have engineering degrees and years of experience in all things mechanical and electrical-Me included.

If you are going to act/sound just like so many other dealer "techs", then spare me the BS. I can always get BS from my local dealer when I feel the need.

If however, as a "Master Certified Harley Tech" you wanna visit/chat and share a few company secrets, then feel welcome.

I ain't looked at all your posts, but so far it's starting to look like you tote an attitude that says all Harley owners are idiots, and you are the only person who really knows what is going on.

If you wanna earn points and be an ambassador for the MOCO, then read a few posts from DAWG.

Just sayin..........
+1

I'm sayin... 47 posts and name calling already.

lp

Last edited by lp; 12-16-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2009 | 01:41 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Hey thanks but Iam not new to the site or HD's. Iam a Master Tech at a large dealership, have had over 5000 bikes on my lifts and have seen 1 comp failure and it was due to wear, 50,000+ miles. Hundreds of loose comp nuts but if you reinstall it properly it wont come loose again.
Thanks for the resume - what dealership? Never said it was "Broke", I said it was Junk and does not perform all that well AND the SE comp is an nice replacement.

Might want to tone down your replys hoss. No one here will listen to you otherwise.

lp

Old 12-17-2009 | 01:05 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by oinker02
Take care here hog-doc.

Just sayin..........
Iam not sayin anybodys an idiot, I asked if someone had backing for thier claim to a part being junk. A few dozen people on the internet bitching about something doesnt make a part JUNK! Think back to '07 and how many people here couldnt stop whinning long enough to go ride because they where afriad thier tranny was gonna blow up, how many of those people traded them in at a loss just because they were afraid to ride them. Know how many of those trannys had problems..........0.00000000000000! Exactly the number I said would back then!

I dont drink anybodys Koolaid, I base my opinions on experience, not with 1 to 5 bikes like most of the "experienced owners" you speak of. Like I said Ive worked on over 5000 bikes in just the last 6 years in dealerships. Ive actually SEEN and worked on them not just read about them on the net. Ive been working on and riding them since 1991.

BTW that JUNK stock comp, I've seen it work just fine in dozens of bikes making 130-150 HP. Must not be to bad!!!

Old 12-17-2009 | 01:09 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
+1

I'm sayin... 47 posts and name calling already.

lp
I love the way this site has always equated post count with experience.

The brain surgeon remark was in response to this so.......

This compensator doesn't change the gearing...it's 34 teeth, same as stock. Any other rocket science questions? Most Master Techs learned that on day two or three.

Old 12-17-2009 | 07:50 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser

I changed mine at 23,000 miles to get rid of the start-up clunk, and in preperation for a 103 kit install.. It did do that. The old comp had some polish on the cam lopes, but other than that it looked like new. I did not notice any difference other than the start-up clunk was gone. Mine is a 07 ultra without IDS.

Old 12-17-2009 | 08:34 AM
harley-jones
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harley-jones
I have been doing some research on this and I am going to go for it.

After quite a while in the Search looking for answers I still have a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to mess with the clutch or is there enough room to remove the primary chain by removing just the chain adjuster?

2. When you remove the material in the primary so too be able to get out the parts of the old compensator what did you do to keep the aluminum chips from getting into something they shouldn't?

Thanks for you help!
08 SG
This thread has gone way, way off course. To those that answered my original questions I thank you!

I am waiting for the Big Brown UPS truck to bring the new compensator and gasket. Then I can get to work at making my machine a little bit better.

I think most of us can agree that the SE compensator is a stronger piece than the stock compensator that I will replace.

To me putting in a new compensator is no different than putting in a stronger battery, a better stereo, a new set of grips or a better handling set of tires, ect. ect...
Some of us are just trying to improve on a machine that is mass produced that has places that can be improved.

Are the stock parts pieces of crap? I don't think so. Can the stock parts be improved on? U-Bet!

Harley-Jones

Old 12-17-2009 | 09:02 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

I replaced the stock comp on my Dyna about a year ago. Money well spent...mail order from Chicago H-D for less than my dealer including shipping.

One of the wrenches at my local dealership had the same attitude about it that hog-doc does. I didn't even bother to discuss it with him.

Quick Reply: SE Compensator Questions