Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009 | 01:14 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Here is a link with photos and will help alot for the DIY.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/testi...mpensator.html

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:30 PM
ssfirefighter
Tourer

I have been looking and researching about a knock that I have on initial startup. I had the problem several months ago and the dealer couldn't find the reason, but blamed it on a loose comp bolt. They said they torqued it back down and here I am a few months later with the same knocking. Any way I could get a dealer to install a the SE compensator for the fix, or is there anything they can to to fix it otherwise?

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:59 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior

Been on the fence about installing it this winter. Is anybody else running one on a 07 without IDS? Is it worth it to do both?

Old 12-15-2009 | 04:03 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by smokindave
Best money you will ever spend on your scoot. Eliminates the clunk during starting and makes the bike pull off from a stop very smooth. The power transition will make your starter gear last longer also. Bottom line, the stock compensator is JUNK.

JUNK, realy? Is that based on the HUGE number of them that you have seen fail? Or is it a personal opinion based on the fact the SE gearing is better for the way you like to ride and realy has NOTHING to do with the COMP at all?

Old 12-15-2009 | 04:09 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by vtwinbmx
Been on the fence about installing it this winter. Is anybody else running one on a 07 without IDS? Is it worth it to do both?
I was just coming in this thread to ask the same question. I have the IDS and was wondering if anybody that did the SE Comp mod took off the IDS if they had clatter like before?

Old 12-15-2009 | 04:23 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
JUNK, realy? Is that based on the HUGE number of them that you have seen fail? Or is it a personal opinion based on the fact the SE gearing is better for the way you like to ride and realy has NOTHING to do with the COMP at all?
No its pretty much junk but most people don't care about the huge start up knock or the cha-cha-ing drive line. Welcome to the site. Do a search, people have said much about this subject...

lp

Last edited by lp; 12-15-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2009 | 10:43 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
No its pretty much junk but most people don't care about the huge start up knock or the cha-cha-ing drive line. Welcome to the site. Do a search, people have said much about this subject...

lp
Hey thanks but Iam not new to the site or HD's. Iam a Master Tech at a large dealership, have had over 5000 bikes on my lifts and have seen 1 comp failure and it was due to wear, 50,000+ miles. Hundreds of loose comp nuts but if you reinstall it properly it wont come loose again.

Last edited by hog-doc; 12-15-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2009 | 11:12 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain

I agree its JUNK. I have 4 Harleys, 9 other bikes.

It is pitiful HD would put something so crappy on a bike, when they already know its junk, and have a replacement.

Will the stock unit break? Maybe (probably) not. Will it bang on start up, and degrade the take off? YES

Does the bike cost more than $10K?

That defines "junk" to me.

JMHO....I am not a mechanic, just a customer. Not trying to give you a bunch of crap, but jeez...just because it don't break don't make it good.

Hey thanks but Iam not new to the site or HD's. Iam a Master Tech at a large dealership, have had over 5000 bikes on my lifts and have seen 1 comp failure and it was due to wear, 50,000+ miles. Hundreds of loose comp nuts but if you reinstall it properly it wont come loose again.

Old 12-15-2009 | 11:15 PM
oinker02
Banned

Welcome aboard...you are going to be very busy here answering questions.

Old 12-15-2009 | 11:23 PM
thereal142
Road Captain

This compensator doesn't change the gearing...it's 34 teeth, same as stock. Any other rocket science questions? Most Master Techs learned that on day two or three.

Last edited by thereal142; 12-15-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: SE Compensator Questions