Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009 | 07:24 PM
deezee
Cruiser

Changed mine out 2 nights ago......I pulled the inner primary which took a total of 2 minutes....5 bolts on the inside and 2 for the starter........Gravy.

BTW, I could tell an IMMEDIATE difference with the SE heavy comp. Well worth it.

Old 12-11-2009 | 08:34 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

I've done two so far, an '09 and an '07. Both took a minimum of grinding and neither needed to have the clutch touched at all. Plenty of chain slack with the tensioner removed. I cleaned up what chips I could and then changed the oil after a few miles to get the rest of the junk out. Bike runs so much better now.

Marc

Old 12-12-2009 | 04:08 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

I have heard of the problems with the compensator. I have an 08SG, what are my benefits of changing it to the SE right now if any. I have some things to do to it anyway, if thats just another hour or so, is it worth the trouble?

Old 12-12-2009 | 05:29 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by VETERAN75
I have heard of the problems with the compensator. I have an 08SG, what are my benefits of changing it to the SE right now if any. I have some things to do to it anyway, if thats just another hour or so, is it worth the trouble?
Yeah, it's worth the cost and the trouble especially if you do it yourself. While you are in there, also install the SE heavy clutch spring for another 20 bucks.

It's sad you must do these things to make the scoot what it should have been OEM, but seeing all the mods you listed I guess you are used to that.

Old 12-12-2009 | 05:33 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior

Best money you will ever spend on your scoot. Eliminates the clunk during starting and makes the bike pull off from a stop very smooth. The power transition will make your starter gear last longer also. Bottom line, the stock compensator is JUNK.

Old 12-12-2009 | 05:57 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by smokindave
Best money you will ever spend on your scoot. Eliminates the clunk during starting and makes the bike pull off from a stop very smooth. The power transition will make your starter gear last longer also. Bottom line, the stock compensator is JUNK.
I'm convinced that not only will it make the starter gear live longer, but also the lefty crank and tranny bearings. The SE comp and the IDS should have been there to start with.

Added info.....did you know that the IDS is standard on SPORTSTERS that are imported to Japan?...Yeah, even Sportsters. But they are not yet mandated for Sportys destined domestic......That tells me HD knows they have a problem with ALL their V Twin primary and secondary drives but they only offer OEM solutions to countries that demand it and they finally included it on big twin '08's and later, but not yet domestic Sporties.

If you plan to keep your big twin, then you should invest in not only the SE comp, but also the IDS.

Last edited by oinker02; 12-12-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2009 | 10:38 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Since I have the 08 SG shouldn't I already have the IDS? I checked the list on the compensator at $249. Anybody know where to get it cheaper?

Last edited by VETERAN75; 12-12-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: save space
Old 12-12-2009 | 11:39 AM
tommyj
Cruiser
Default SE Compensator

Veterans75, I got mine from Lakeshore for $199....they had free shipping over $100 then. Don't know about now....worth checking.

Old 12-13-2009 | 11:47 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

What is the advantage to the heavy clutch spring? I plan on doing this without removing the inner cover. I get home late january and have a couple months off before going back to my real job. But I need everything done before heading to daytona also. Is clutch spring pretty simple to do at that point?

Old 12-13-2009 | 12:10 PM
harley-jones
|
Road Warrior

What is the advantage to the heavy clutch spring? I plan on doing this without removing the inner cover. I get home late january and have a couple months off before going back to my real job. But I need everything done before heading to daytona also. Is clutch spring pretty simple to do at that point?
The heavy duty clutch springs will lock up the clutch with more clamping force. Some guys have trouble with the stock clutch slipping when they start making more power than stock.

I think one of the trade offs is a heaver clutch pull at the leaver, and a little more strain on the clutch cable.

I have a stage one with SE-255 cams and I do not have any slipping with the stock clutch so I am going to leave the stock springs in.

Quick Reply: SE Compensator Questions