Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on HQ cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:14 AM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on HQ cams

Doing a 95" on my 04 flhrs. Narrowed my cams down to hq-0039 or hq-tc-575. Was going to use andrews but builder leaned me towards woods or hq. He has nothing against andrews but said woods and hq produce better torque. Woods was elimanated when he said, they seem to produce allittle noise. So my question is which of the 2 hq cams should I go with? My comp will be set at 10-1.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
BM83
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go on HQs web site, join the Q&A group, Doug or one of the guys will give you thier opinion.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My first opinion is listen to your builder. Does he have a preference between the two? My second thought is I would probably lean more toward the 575 due to the intake valve timing. If you are going to have a 10:1 static, the 39 may produce more ccp than you like resulting in a ping. The 575 is similar to the Wood 6-6, but with more lift. Several members here are running the Wood cam with no complaints on noise.

Bottom line though, make sure the engine is set up to compliment the cam. Your builder should really be the one to steer you in the right direction.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My Indy isn't crazy about HQ cams,he's a pretty smart guy.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My indy really doesnt have any preferance,He said he will set my heads to match any grind. Any opinions on the andrews 55 grind. He said he has put alot of these cams in 95" builds. Seems like the 55 grind is more of a top end cam. I just want a best of both worlds cam. Good lowend grunt with good power all the way acrossed the board. Any other suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:21 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wood cams

a friend of mine has the tw6 in his bike and it's not noisey at all. He did have to adjust his pushrods a little longer tho, he loves the cams and the torque they give him. I have a set of them that I'm gonna install just after Christmas. Not noisey at all. instead of 2 1/2 turns I think he ended up at three or three anda half and he loves them.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

Head Quarters philosophy on power is to build for torque and let the hp fall where it falls. I have the 575 cams in my HQ 103 and it runs VERY well. Strong power pretty much anywhere. I'm making 100tq at 2250 rpm and 120tq by 3000rpm. It stays over 100tq all the way to redline. I'm running HQ adjustable push rods, HQ black ops lifters, and TP Provent rocker boxes. All of this combines for a very quiet valve train.

HQ uses a dual pattern and asymetrical cam, so if you are going to go with HQ cams, you really should consider running their heads/pistons as well. It just makes for a fool proof package that will deliver the max performance the cams are capable of.

JMO
Zach

Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Head Quarters philosophy on power is to build for torque and let the hp fall where it falls. I have the 575 cams in my HQ 103 and it runs VERY well. Strong power pretty much anywhere. I'm making 100tq at 2250 rpm and 120tq by 3000rpm. It stays over 100tq all the way to redline. I'm running HQ adjustable push rods, HQ black ops lifters, and TP Provent rocker boxes. All of this combines for a very quiet valve train.

HQ uses a dual pattern and asymetrical cam, so if you are going to go with HQ cams, you really should consider running their heads/pistons as well. It just makes for a fool proof package that will deliver the max performance the cams are capable of.

JMO
Zach
Not to derail the conversation, but I assume you like the black ops lifters? Some say that the "B" lifter is as good as any, but do you think the HQ ones are worth the extra $$? Did you ever try the Harley lifter in your build or did you use the HQ lifters from the start?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:54 PM
BM83
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix5
Not to derail the conversation, but I assume you like the black ops lifters? Some say that the "B" lifter is as good as any, but do you think the HQ ones are worth the extra $$? Did you ever try the Harley lifter in your build or did you use the HQ lifters from the start?
I started out with harley lifters with my HQ575, one of the lifters came apart and started making some serious noise. So now I have the black ops and Im very happy.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:54 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed

JMO
Zach
Good to see you posting Zach and with good advice as always.

Also, as Matrix has stated, your builder in whom you trust building your motor, is whom you should seek input from. Your components should compliment one another.

Quick Reply: Opinions on HQ cams