Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing "buttons" on floating rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spacelord
Instead of masking off the rotor why not get the whole thing powder coated and then have them turned?
Because I only want the carrier done, and for a very specific reason. One that I'd really like to share with the forum if I successfully pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbrown
"It is true floating rotors once had detachable buttons, but I think you will find modern ones are not detachable. I have them on two bikes and neither of them are. That may not apply to all brands, so you could be lucky."

"What he said. The H-D floaters are not detachable."

rthomp159, Are you referring to the O.E. style rotors? The newer Brembo rotors are merely a semi-floating rotor with that one button. I'm talking about H-D's accessory rotors, and not their normal ones we've all seen for years now, but the ones they have for the newest wheels with seven bolts.

In addition to wanting a better job by removing them, I'm trying to make it idiot proof for the powdercoat guy because sometimes people don't listen or forget to read their own damn notes from the customer order. I could save myself a lot of headaches and just leave them alone. Nah, that would be too easy!
Thanks for all the input. It looked as though I couldn't remove them, but I really want to be wrong on this one. Once they come in (currently on backorder) I'll be able to inspect and let everyone know for sure if it's a go or not.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

I got a call from the dealer yesterday, so I was able to pick up the new rotors today. Basically they're like a big damn rivet which means they aren't coming off without serious cost to this average Joe. I'm taking them to the coater tomorrow to explore viable solutions. You can't powdercoat the entire rotor because then the rotor would not be free to move on the carriers via the buttons. If he can do what I want and I get it done, I'll post some pics of them.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the buttons appear to be a pressed in sort of part. like a hollow bolt that gets squashed into shape after it goes through the rotor and center to hold it all together. almost like a big rivet. seems that way to me anyway from what i've seen.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:28 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the simplest method to remove the buttons would require drilling them out, but that way you'd at least have a bunch of aluminum washers left over. now what were you planning on replacing the rivets with to hold it together? looks like a real pain in the patoot to me. i'm still trying to get warm enough weather here so i can chuck up my rinehart tips in the lathe so i can use them as adapters for using harleys fishtail tips. winter still sux, after all these years. good luck with your results.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:52 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by grbrown
"It is true floating rotors once had detachable buttons, but I think you will find modern ones are not detachable. I have them on two bikes and neither of them are. That may not apply to all brands, so you could be lucky."

"What he said. The H-D floaters are not detachable."

rthomp159, Are you referring to the O.E. style rotors? The newer Brembo rotors are merely a semi-floating rotor with that one button. I'm talking about H-D's accessory rotors, and not their normal ones we've all seen for years now, but the ones they have for the newest wheels with seven bolts.
I'm talking about the accessory ones that I have had on my Night Train for the past 6 months. Other than drilling out (and thereby destroying them) the buttons, there's no way to remove them. New, old, doesn't matter.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:39 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain

Just paint them with regular paint

Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gary_montague
Just paint them with regular paint
Say it with Krylon is what I always say.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some tape and some BBQ pit paint should do the trick.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

Update of sorts.

Brought the rotors by the powdercoater, spoke with the guy doing the actual work for reasons I won't bore you with, but worth the effort. Anyway, we spoke at great length about what I wanted done. He's going to do them exactly as I want them and should have them returned to me before christmas. If everything goes right, I hope to have it all on the bike christmas weekend. After that I'll only have one other item to install on the bike before she's worthy of posting pics. Then the bike will be finished! Well, so-to-speak!