Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock muffler and AC Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stock muffler and AC Question

I searched the past Threads, but didn't find my answer. I'm thinking about keeping my stock mufflers on my 08 UC. Could I use a K&N filter in the stock air box without causing a problem? Can you buy a K&N that will replace the stock filter without having to modify the box or leave an open gap between the football cover and backing plate? Does K&N make such a filter and would it be any advantage? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like your looking for HD-1508.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by acchd
Looks like your looking for HD-1508.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx
Thanks for your response, do you think it would help? I wasn't planning to remap if I leave the stock exhaust on.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm no expert as I don't mess with the fuel management or air filter, just the pipes man, just the pipes

From what I've always been told on the fuel injected models was you can change either the pipes OR the air filter without needing to change any settings. And when I say air filter, I mean like a Big Sucker. I know guys who put in the K&N stock replacement and keep stock pipes without any problems.

I have aftermarket pipes and plan on swtching to K&N's stock replacement filter.

Last edited by krazy3; 12-09-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Can't spell!!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Thanks for your response, do you think it would help? I wasn't planning to remap if I leave the stock exhaust on.
Ron I don't think it would change performance that much as your still using the same back plate and stock map will be just fine. K&N is a better filter than the stock paper filter and you can clean K&N and reuse for life of bike.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

[quote=krazy3;5947914]I'm no expert as I don't mess with the fuel management or air filter, just the pipes man, just the pipes

From what I've always been told on the fuel injected models was you can change either the pipes OR the air filter without needing to change any settings. And when I say air filter, I mean like a Big Sucker. I know guys who put in the K&N stock replacement and keep stock pipes without any problems.

I have aftermarket pipes and plan on swtching to K&N's stock replacemet filter.[/quote

Thanks, I just bought this 08 105th anniversary ultra classic. I had planned to have the stage1 and after market exhaust put on when I got it home, but it sounds great the way it is. I had Rush slipon's with 2" baffles with the SE filter and stage1 on my 09 EGC. My wife has remarked several times while riding behind me on this one, it sounds better to her the way it is. I don't know if the stock mufflers have been altered any. I'm going to have it checked out when I get back home. It only has 4400 miles, so it needs the 5K done.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After spending thousands of bucks on aftermarket exhaust, stage 1 filters and pwr comanders I am out of that market. I have a nightstick on my '10 fltrx with stock a/c and no download. Bike runs fine and payback for a K&N would be several years. Someone told me the replacement K&N doesn't filter as well as the stock. ?????????

Old 12-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by Sancho
After spending thousands of bucks on aftermarket exhaust, stage 1 filters and pwr comanders I am out of that market. I have a nightstick on my '10 fltrx with stock a/c and no download. Bike runs fine and payback for a K&N would be several years. Someone told me the replacement K&N doesn't filter as well as the stock. ?????????
Thanks Sancho, that's where I am now. I've also spent a ton on stuff in the past. I had V&H big shot's on my 02 Dyna, I had SE pipes on a sportster, I had rush on my 09 egc I just sold. I'm 67 and retired. My wife and I love to ride and enjoy the scenery ect. I just want a Harley to sound like a Harley should, but not too loud! I read Jami from Fuelmoto's db test on muffler's and most are about the same.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

I took my 09 105th anni. Ultra Classic I just bought to my Dealer today to have the 5K mile service done. I wanted him to check it over really good. He said he would upgrade the rear brakes that had a service bulletin for squeaks. He's going to check the fuel filter housing. I asked him about keeping my stock exhaust because they sound great. He said the AC and Mapping is the most important for throttle response and letting it run cooler. He said if I wanted to add mufflers later, I would be all set. anybody went this route with their Touring bike?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I took my 09 105th anni. Ultra Classic I just bought to my Dealer today to have the 5K mile service done. I wanted him to check it over really good. He said he would upgrade the rear brakes that had a service bulletin for squeaks. He's going to check the fuel filter housing. I asked him about keeping my stock exhaust because they sound great. He said the AC and Mapping is the most important for throttle response and letting it run cooler. He said if I wanted to add mufflers later, I would be all set. anybody went this route with their Touring bike?
FWIW, the "upgrade" is simply a thin film of anti-seize on the non-friction side of the rear pads. I just did my rear brakes on my '08 UC last weekend...took all of 15 minutes.

With respect to the mapping...I too left my '08 stock for the first year then self-installed and tuned the TTS tuner. While the performance change was not significant, the bike behaved much better including throttle response, cooler, and a slight increase in gas mileage (your results may differ).

I did eventually add the SE air cleaner and re-tuned...not really much difference.

The guys at TTS will suggest that any change in the air flow should be matched with an update in the mapping. Yes, the stock ECM will "re-learn" to a certain extent but getting the map closer to start with is worth the effort.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Stock muffler and AC Question