Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner oil question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slankard
Ronp42, Syn3 is a full synthetic. However HD also sells a synthetic blend. It is not branded as syn3 it is a screaming eagle oil also. (it has the black label, syn3 has the orange label).
Having said all of this I use Amsoil. If I remember right and I could be wrong I think the HD oil first came out as a blend. Now to the original poster, get the manual and use a good oil. You will get many opinions here on a brand of oil. You will just have to use what you like and can get easily. Some brands are not available everywhere.
You are probably right, It has been awhile back when I read that Sunoco
made Syn3 for HD and it wasn't full synthetic. I forgot to also suggest the service manuel. Having said that, I will add if it were my first Harley, I would take it to a reputable Dealer and have it checked over real good.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:52 PM
mctwist
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say that I truly love AMSOIL. Its by far been the best oil I've used in anything! I never believed all the b.s. oil talk, but try it and you'll be a believer too lol

Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mctwist
I have to say that I truly love AMSOIL. Its by far been the best oil I've used in anything! I never believed all the b.s. oil talk, but try it and you'll be a believer too lol
Huh? What did it do to make you a believer?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 AM
luszacki
Stage IV

Thank you for the replies it helped changing oil before putting it away for winter have been advised to put new oil in rather than bike sitting over winter with old oil any advise prior metric bikes i just let it sit with old oil and changed in spring any input wish I had theba**s to ride in winter maybe if I was 40 yrs younger

Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

If you know what has been in it that is what I would use.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:41 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtairy biker
the HARLEY book is good but I think I use the CLYMER book more and it is cheaper and better

Never heard that said about Clymers before! Compare carefully. Don't buy based on price.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
hdbikerperson
Advanced

Just like many other things in life keep three simple things in mind. Location, location, location. If you hear that synthetic is the only way to go because air cooled, heat etc. consider if the “opinion” is coming from someone in Utah. Because in Alaska you would probably run into a different opinion.
In Ontario if most of your riding is in Canada I would suggest Castrol dyno oil. Its cheep, readily available , I have run it in my last 5 Harleys and 20 or thirty off shore bikes before that over the span of 40 years. Never had a motor breakdown.
Another question is mileage. I f the answer is coming from someone with a low mileage riding season like mine ( average I ride a year is 30,000 to 40,000 ) then the opinion will be different than from a 5,000 a year rider or your high mileage guys that do 60,000+ miles a year.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
ultraherbie
Cruiser

kingkingking thanks thats a great link for first time oil changers

Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
dingo67
Novice

the brand doesn't matter. just stay on regular schedule and the bike will run for ever. 3000 miles or 3 months.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:34 AM
luszacki
Stage IV

Thx for all info

Quick Reply: new owner oil question