Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Station Scan

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Station Scan

Love the Road Glide and love listening to the radio when riding locally. When on a trip I listen to a mix CD that my wife made me with about 8 hours of music on it. The problem is I would like to be able to scan through the memory settings of the different radio stations via the hand controls insted of just the reqular scan which just stops on the next station it finds. Even with me being tall with long arms it is a pain and destracting to lean up and hit the preset memory buttons.

Is there anyway to change the scan on the hand controls to just scan through the memory settings?

If not was thinking about replacing the stock radio later. Is there an aftermarket radio/hand control unit that would do this?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM
bcomes
5th Gear

You've probably already purchased an aftermarket radio but just in case others are interested, I found this on another site. I think it addresses the question:

"The right side control button will cycle through the station presets by default, hold it for 3 seconds and it scans, hold it for 5 and it will scan the presets. Basically the same on CD operation too: Up or down will cycle tracks, hold it and it fast forwards, hold it longer and it scans the tracks. MP3 players you have to screw with on your own, but there are some interfaces out there that make it easier. There's even one I've seen (cant remember who makes it) that takes SD cards and mounts on the bars - looks like part of the bike except for the lead out to the AUX input."

Old 07-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Call Iron Cross Audio and ask Tony. He knows that HK radio inside and out...

Old 07-23-2010, 02:27 PM
road_king_rob
Tourer

I have the same issue with mine. Why wouldn't you be able to easily scan through your presets, instead of taking a hand and an eye off the road to press buttons on your radio?

For some reason, you can change tone, balance, fade, etc from the thumb controls - something most people rarely if ever mess with.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bcomes
You've probably already purchased an aftermarket radio but just in case others are interested, I found this on another site. I think it addresses the question:

"The right side control button will cycle through the station presets by default, hold it for 3 seconds and it scans, hold it for 5 and it will scan the presets. Basically the same on CD operation too: Up or down will cycle tracks, hold it and it fast forwards, hold it longer and it scans the tracks. MP3 players you have to screw with on your own, but there are some interfaces out there that make it easier. There's even one I've seen (cant remember who makes it) that takes SD cards and mounts on the bars - looks like part of the bike except for the lead out to the AUX input."
What he said is true this is what you can do!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Big Daddy FLHX
Advanced
Default Lifesaver

Originally Posted by bcomes

Thank you... This just saved me who knows how many hundred dollars replacing a radio.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 PM
wsaxton
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This does not work on my 2009 Ultra
right side control is station scan only
memory preset scan is activated by holding more soft key for 3 seconds
(above from owners manual) I test and it is accurate for radio
Bill

Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,856 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Yeah, it doesn't scan through the presets by default. I'm going to try holding it down for a few seconds and see if that works though....

lp

Old 07-24-2010, 06:11 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

From Tony at Iron Cross Audio......

"Press and hold the "More" button at softkey 6. This will activate the program scan mode. "P-scan" will be displayed on the display. "

I tried it. It does work

Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tech
From Tony at Iron Cross Audio......

"Press and hold the "More" button at softkey 6. This will activate the program scan mode. "P-scan" will be displayed on the display. "

I tried it. It does work

Thanks for the info, could never remember to look at the manual. Only ever thought about this when I was riding. Learn something new every day. Do you know if it scans all the presets, or just the 5 you have on the display of the radio and when you find the preset you like, how do you stop it? Thought I would push my luck.... Thanks.

Quick Reply: Radio Station Scan