Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input from Street and Road Glide Owners for assesment of bikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88b
IMO the FLHX is over priced , plus the RG handles better and has a better seat.
You mean "had" a better seat. Up until 2009 the RG's always had a decent stock seat. Then for 2010 they put that piece-of-crap SG seat on it and to rub salt in the wound they put the shorter shocks from the SG on the RG. Fortunately easy to change. I own both and just like the guys here, the hands down highway rig would be the RG. Damn thing cranks down the highway like a freight train shrugging off wind like mere thoughts of turbulence. The 2010 does have that advantage of already being set up to accept vented lowers, that's cool.

Uh, you did say "fits like a glove" didn't you? Don't forget to post pics of your new Road Glide!

Good luck to you.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 PM
carl_weis2000
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya after 20 visits to the dealership I've been debating over the SG and RG, the whole reason for the thread lol. I wont buy till I test ride both, after changing my nightrain around to make it feel better I shoulda just saved my money and bought a fl years ago, so new bike will have to wait till the spring im about to reup and reclass, 15grand bonus and airborne and 3months of school should put about 20 somthing in my account, and military sales gets me the bike for about cost with no issues so i wont get reamed by any dealership, so new bike will be in short order, which subsequently will be the start of the season! so this should all work out nicely hehehe, than later on big incher for the nightrain, cant wait!!!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 AM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RG sounds like your winner. Military sales as you know is a great deal. Unless things have changed, you just need to time it right to get the color you want. You'd probably get better gas mileage with a 249 though.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:54 PM
mnskip
Tourer

Originally Posted by 88b
IMO the FLHX is over priced , plus the RG handles better and has a better seat.
First want to thank you for serving. As far as the Street Glide vs. the Road Glide, they are only about $400 difference in price and are the same bike. They handle different because of the frame mounted fairing of the Road Glide, and the fork mounted fairing on the Street Glide. The test ride will sell you one way or the other. If this has been already said, I'm sorry for not reading all the post.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
carl_weis2000
Novice

Thanks so much, Looking like a reclass in my very near future, dont think my body will make another 11yrs of infantry lol, I want to be in good enough shape to still be riding in 11yrs when i retire haha. But ya both the sg and rg had the same seat on it, I tried the rg seat from 2009 on a cvo model that was leftover but it seemed alot harder on my ***, I know people are like harder seats are better for longer rides but i can attest that my badlands seat sucks a big one but looks cool, sooo maybe I have a special *** cause the saddleman I bought was amazing and it was a nice comfy thing, but it looked retarded on my nightrain lol, but whats someone gonna say, my *** my bike I'll look like a retard if i want to! It did get switched back though lol.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about the RG handling any "better" but for long trips it is probably the better bet.

I test rode both before buying my SG but felt the RG ride was too refined, a little too smooth for my taste.

I like the input back from the road the SG gives me. The RG is a great bike but it felt too much like a Goldwing.

To each his own.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:09 PM
NHSPMCU
Cruiser
Cool Sounds like another fan for the MoCo's Bastard Child!!!

okokok...welcome to the orphanage, but please don't tell anyone else! We're trying to keep how good this bike is, a secret

Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM
chasd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never owned a Street Glide but have owned 2 Electra Glides (1 Standard, I classic) 2 Road Kings and 3 Softails. I bought an 09 RG and love it. A few weeks ago I got hot on a Electra Glide Limited and started seriously thinking about it. As I was batting numbers around with the dealer I woke up and remembered how much I like the RG. Never like the looks until I test rode one. Now I love the look (mean machine when yoiu go chopped windshield, tourer when you go tall) I put 8" Monkey Bars on it and could not be more pleased. I never say never but I don't expect I will be going back to a bat wing any time soon even though they are very cool looking when done up!