Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
smokewagon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet storage?

So I am new to riding, and just bought myself a Road King - one thing I wonder about is where y'all stow your helmet when you're in the store or whatnot? Once upon a time when I rode dual-purpose bikes, they had a little locking bar thingie you could hang the helmet on from its D-rings, but I don't see anything like that on my King. The helmet is too wide to fit in the bags. I got a real cheap helmet, but still don't want to just leave it strapped to the bike w/out locking … but would also rather not carry it in with me.
Am I missing something?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:30 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I have to wear one, I leave the wife's hanging on the handlebars and mine hanging from the highway pegs. When we are travelling and I don't have to wear it, it's bungee corded on top of the bag on the tour pak rack. I figure if someone's going to steal my helmet, they are going to steal my clothes too. Knock on wood, so far I haven't had any issues.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

9 times out of 10 I just leave it on top of the tank. I wear a half helmet and it sits there just fine. Mine fits in a bag if im leaving my bike somewhere. I have seen a little lock device for helmets before but i don't need one so I didn't look to see who makes it.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

hangin from the handlebars or my brake pedal

Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't know what the part number is but Harley offers a lockable Helmet accessory for a Road King. I had thought about getting one for mine. It better than leaving your helmet on the seat or handlebars.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Craig4711a
Cruiser

I leave mine on the throttle grip in secure areas. When I'm somewhere where it could get stolen, I put a lock through the d-rings and around the mirror. People say they leave them on the footpegs, but I wear a modular ( 3/4 or full face ) and it's too big to hang on the crash bars, and they don't have a problem with them getting ripped off. But... here in California it's required, and if it gets stolen, I'm up a creek. HD makes a locking device you can install, but I've heard there's problems with actually using it, and getting the key in.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:47 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Default Helmet lock

Harley does make a accessory lock that can be put in various place on the bike.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Craig4711a
Cruiser

1/2 helmet fits in my saddlebag. And.... why did you buy a cheap helmet? Of all the things to be frugal about, a helmet?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:58 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I figure someone will steal my seat first. Or just remove three screws and take my windhield.
I guess if I had a headset or some fancy-schmansy helmet...I would lock it with a bicycle cable or something. I have a crappy helmet. I leave it on the seat in case it rains.
chuck

Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
smokewagon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Craig4711a
And.... why did you buy a cheap helmet? Of all the things to be frugal about, a helmet?
Good question. I had a couple of reasons, actually. I'm new to motorcycling, and hadn't bought a MC yet, so I figured there was a good chance I'd want to buy another helmet, either to match my new bike's paint scheme &/or to get different features I wanted that I didn't know I wanted 'til I'd lived with one for awhile.

Besides, helmets are like insurance - I didn't want to spend more than I had to to get full coverage. :-)

Quick Reply: Helmet storage?