Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the bitter cold!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

It's just not safe to ride in those temps unless the roads are completely clear of any ice, snow, moisture, and you're geared up in electrics to keep your core body temp up. I know, I've been there, done that!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

It always helps to bring the two brothers along for the ride.Jack and Charlie
Jack Daniels...nothin keeps the brain warmer...OR Number...ALMOST nuthin...and
Charlie Daniels... Souths gonna do it again....Warm thoughts....
Truthfully though i don't condone drinking and driving or listening to Charlie (unless i am full of Jack).... :-)

Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went out this morning in the pickup for some gas for my torches so I could work on my project truck and it was so friggen cold here that I did spend a couple hours in the garage detailing my bike out just because it needed it but then after I came in to call for my unenjoyment I never went back out only to grab the mail.. I hate winter.... Its supposed to be in the teens here all weekend and I didnt see a single bike this morning either ..

Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my blood has thinned out from living many years in Florida. I rode back the day after thanks giving from Olando it was 46 when we left, I thought I was going to freeze my fanny off

Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode yesterday also in Wooster Ohio about 80 miles at 30 degrees and was fine. Good gloves and htd grips help alot. I have HD riding pants with knee pads that insulate from the direct blast on my knees

Old 12-07-2009, 05:03 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got cured of sub freezing riding back in the mid 70's when one frozen morning on my way to work my throttle cables froze stuck open on my 750 Honda 4. It had rained the evening before and then froze hard overnight....I almost lost it that morning and broke the return cable trying to twist off on the throttle to slow down.

I've seen pics of guys who ride year round even when the roads are blanketed in deep snow....I truely don't know how they do it.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:11 PM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rstekeur
I know my blood has thinned out from living many years in Florida. I rode back the day after thanks giving from Olando it was 46 when we left, I thought I was going to freeze my fanny off
I know my blood must be too. Lived in Florida since 1983. I wont ride in 46 on the interstate without some more serious gear my jacket and gloves are not cutting it when its in the low 50's.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Road Yesterday & Today, 36 degrees....Had to lay a Blue Knight Brother to rest, lost his battle with prostate cancer....cold but a must ride.

Guys, get a check up, preventable illness.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I learned the hard way that the lowers on an Ultra are about worthless in the cold. They just don't block the wind from my legs.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I regularly ride to work here in NY in the 20's and 30's as long as it gets into the 40's by end of day. Yesterday it was in the 30's and I had to get one more ride... 60 miles. Snowmobile gloves help but that is my limit. I always ensure that moisture is not there or expected. Ice on bridges are very very bad as are leaves on the road in the fall (long since gone from Western NY). I won't ride after they start salting either.

Quick Reply: In the bitter cold!