Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Hot Toppers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I have them on my bike also but how the hell do you get them off the bolt heads without gouging them or making indents in them????
Good Point...If you don't do your own service...Your services at the shop might be slightly higher...Due to the tech having to remove some of them to perform certain services

Old 12-06-2009, 08:24 PM
hogginit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my bike in for a 103 facelift and got it home to find out all toppers and metal rocker cover stud gone. Dealer says they do not save them.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RKKY
Personally I can't stand hot toppers. Cheesy little plastic covers that more often than not get screwed up when you have to remove them. I'd go with a polished bolt kit if you want chrome. At 385 for a complete kit you really wouldn't to spend much more to get the bolts.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

You can get a WHOLE kit of 12 point polished stainless steel racing grade fastenters for about the same price. Never have a plastic cover to remove, fall off or break and the 12 point hardware looks fantastic IMO

Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyMike
You can get a WHOLE kit of 12 point polished stainless steel racing grade fastenters for about the same price. Never have a plastic cover to remove, fall off or break and the 12 point hardware looks fantastic IMO
It only costs about the same if you've got all the 12 point sockets already. LOL

Old 12-07-2009, 02:16 AM
RoadkingDxb
Advanced

Changing all my Hot Toppers for chrome bolts, looks a lot better IMO. As previously posted, the issue is buying all the sockets to remove the bolts costs more than the bolts do!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hogginit
Took my bike in for a 103 facelift and got it home to find out all toppers and metal rocker cover stud gone. Dealer says they do not save them.
WTF?
That's a pile of crap.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hogginit
That's BS. I'd tell the Dealer to put them back on, even if they have to buy a new set. By the way, Hot Toppers replaces them for free.
I had all the bolts on my chopper covered with Hot Toppers, and when I had to take the bike for service, I'd take the engine and tranny toppers off. Very easy to do with a razor blade. I lost a few over the years that the dealer replaced for free each time.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Possible leaks

I would think that there exists a good possiblity of developing leaks or worse by removing and replacing all of those engine tranny and primary bolts, even if they are done one at a time. But at least you would ensure that your fastners are torqued properly!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyMike

Hot oppers are about $85 where do you get your complete bolt kit for that price?

Quick Reply: Questions about Hot Toppers