Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Churping Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Baggrmark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Churping Exhaust

I have a 06' Ultra with V&H true dual head pipes that I had the SE mufflers on (not for street use mufflers).Anyway I wanted to change them over to something a little quieter after a lot of reading I took my OEM muffs and drilled out the plugs in them,using a 1 1/8 whole saw. Much better sound but awful chirping at idle and certain rpms.Did I just ruin my OEM muffs,or is there something to fix this chirping.Just couldnt justify spending a lot on new slip ons, got enough boxes of parts in the garage now.Thanks for any input.Mark

Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To tell you the truth, I have never , EVER, heard a good sound come out of drilled out stock exhausts. And, there is really no way to know about helping/hurtng the performance of the bike. Are you sure the chirping is actually coming out of the exhausts itself ? If you had to remove the exhausts for drilling, you may have a heat shield loose.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Or maybe metal on metal contact with the mounting hardware on the exhaust?????

Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Baggrmark
Cruiser

Nightking,
I just double triple checked all brackets & clamps,all tight.If I put my hand lightly over the outlet of the tailpipe or hold a rag over it the chirping stops.I do think it sounds better than the SE muffs,maybe I'm getting too old for the noise!! I'm not sure if I can put OEM muffs back on because of the tru-duals.I know I read somewhere about drilling just the plugs out,not the baffles,maybe I should have drilled a smaller hole??
Thanks
Mark

Old 12-06-2009, 12:12 PM
gacoptrainer
Road Captain
Default Chirping

Originally Posted by Baggrmark
Nightking,
I just double triple checked all brackets & clamps,all tight.If I put my hand lightly over the outlet of the tailpipe or hold a rag over it the chirping stops.I do think it sounds better than the SE muffs,maybe I'm getting too old for the noise!! I'm not sure if I can put OEM muffs back on because of the tru-duals.I know I read somewhere about drilling just the plugs out,not the baffles,maybe I should have drilled a smaller hole??
Thanks
Mark
I had chirping with my original exhaust on my 09 Electra Glide Standard as well as the V&H Basic Slip-ons, but at least now the birds sound ANGRY....

Old 12-06-2009, 12:58 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

Could also be the rubber exhaust hanger making that noise.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

After I wash the bike, the rubber mounts harden a little. I had the chirping and asked my wrench what might be causing it. He sprayed a little silicone lub on the rubber and it went away. I now check this after a wash and have to use a lub fairly often.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggrmark
Nightking,
Thanks
Mark
Buddy, I guess I could have read a little closer. I still think you may have a bracket or something making contact . Idle is usually when the motor does most of its shaking. I know what you mean about noise. I just replaced my fishtails with a 2 into 1 exhaust, because the fishtails were so loud.Goodluck in finding the noise.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:24 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I also had a similar problem with my old road king. it was the rubber exhaust mounts they get hard after time from heat. silicone works for awhile but they're probably the cheapest part you'll ever buy for your bike. try grabbing your muffler at idle with a glove or ovenmitt on, if the sound stops its most likely that..

Old 12-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Baggrmark
Cruiser

It's definately not the mounts or brackets or clamps the chirp is coming out of the tailpipe.If I grab onto it with gloves it still chirps but if I put my hand right directly behind it or put a rag over the pipe the noise stops I think giving a little back pressure??? I really dont know,but I do know it's the left side as your looking @ the back of the bike (rear Cyl.)Thinking maybe it is the size of the whole I drilled in the plugs inside the muffler.

Quick Reply: Churping Exhaust