Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Churping Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 PM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to check your exhuast pipes for cracks, everytime, twice to be exact, I had a chirping and went crazy trying to find it in the connections only to find I had a cracked pipe.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM
lv2ride56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you slid the muffler over the head pipe far enough that the slits on the side of the muffler at the header attachment are fully closed. You may have to loosen and move the clamp to check this. Just a thought...........

Old 12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gacoptrainer
I had chirping with my original exhaust on my 09 Electra Glide Standard as well as the V&H Basic Slip-ons, but at least now the birds sound ANGRY....
My 09 SG came out the door with the basic slip-ons. Some times they chirp some times they do not. Sounds like an old VW bug. The service guy wanted to charge my to pull the baffles and check them due to it being a non HD part. I have rode with guys whos bikes did it too.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Retired Navy
Advanced

I have Rush slip-on's on my '08 Ultra and have a little "chirp" at idle but it only seems to do it when the muffler is cold. I think it might be the baffles as it seems to be coming from inside the muffler. Once it gets hot the metal expands and the chirp goes away.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
oif71
Intermediate

Mine was the rubber bracket, but if you have narrowed it down to inside, then it must be the air "whistling" through the pipe differently. cheap answer I know. How to fix it? Can't say for sure, anything could work.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggrmark
I have a 06' Ultra with V&H true dual head pipes that I had the SE mufflers on (not for street use mufflers).Anyway I wanted to change them over to something a little quieter after a lot of reading I took my OEM muffs and drilled out the plugs in them,using a 1 1/8 whole saw. Much better sound but awful chirping at idle and certain rpms.Did I just ruin my OEM muffs,or is there something to fix this chirping.Just couldnt justify spending a lot on new slip ons, got enough boxes of parts in the garage now.Thanks for any input.Mark
I did the same thing to a set of mufflers and got the same annoying chirping sound. It definitely was coming out of the mufflers because if I put something over the end it would stop. I then took a pair of takeoff mufflers from my buddies 09 SG and the noise is completely gone. I was wondering if there is a way to fix it, as the sound when I got on it was great, but idle was ANNOYING....

Last edited by customsoftail200; 12-07-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 PM
BM83
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rnemhrd
My 09 SG came out the door with the basic slip-ons. Some times they chirp some times they do not. Sounds like an old VW bug. The service guy wanted to charge my to pull the baffles and check them due to it being a non HD part. I have rode with guys whos bikes did it too.
Mine has done the same thing ever since installing the fatcat. Ive 'bout gone crazy tryin to finger it. My ol lady says it sounds like a vw bug.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hogginit
Could also be the rubber exhaust hanger making that noise.
Make sure you have enough room for the mufflers to move back and forth in the bracket under the saddlebags. This has caused me a lot of grief in the past.

hth,
Dave

Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 PM
tenn.vol.
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just had the bird chirp on the rear rubber muffler mount on an 08 RKC, needed
a shot of lite oil. As I remimber,& dont member much. But I had the same bird
in an 93 FX, and I THINK it was a leaking exhaust gasket? MAYBE.....Tenn.Vol.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Had a friend that had the same problem a long time ago. He fixed it like this....

Drill a hole in the bottom of the muffler, insert a bolt long enough to reach the middle of the pipe, place a nut and washer inside on the bolt and tighten it down. Now get a large washer and tack weld it to the bolt, in the middle of the hole in the baffle. This will provide a little more back pressure and should make the chirping stop.

Quick Reply: Churping Exhaust