Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The words... "I regret to inform you..."

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM
07custom
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for your loss

Old 12-10-2009, 07:29 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you do not mind but as I read the memorial I thought it should be posted in a word format. Awesome young man!!!!

Sgt. Elijah John-Miles Rao, 26, of Lake Oswego, Ore., died December 5, 2009 in the Alin Gar District, Western Nuristan Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device while supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.. He was an Intelligence Analyst and Patrol Crew Member assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 77th Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colorado.
Elijah John-Miles Rao was born on January 10, 1983 in Forest Grove, Oregon. He grew up in Eagle Creek, and graduated from West Linn High School in 2001. His steady and tender spirit was clear from the time he was born. He was a loving son, brother, grandson and loyal friend.
Compelled by the events of 9/11, Elijah was determined to make a difference and, at the age of 21, joined the Army.
In 2005, while Stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, Elijah met Leah Diamond and they were married in 2006. He was a loving and dedicated husband. Shortly after, the two relocated to Fort Carson, Colorado, from which Elijah was later deployed. His first deployment was to Iraq from November 10, 2006 through December 24, 2007. His second deployment was to Afghanistan starting on June 4, 2009. The awards Rao received while in the Army are: Army Commendation Medal (2), Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with Campaign Star, Iraq Campaign Medal with Campaign Star, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, NATO Medal, Driver Mechanic Badge and Marksmanship Qualification Badge Marksman - Rifle. For his actions in combat SGT Rao will receive the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.
The 2008 birth of his daughter, Eliana, was one of the happiest moments of his life and he loved being a father.
Elijah was called to be a soldier and every day he performed his duties and responsibilities with respect, courage and honor. He found strength in his faith in God and the love of his family.
Elijah enjoyed music, computers and spending time with those he loved.
Elijah is survived by his wife Leah; daughter, Eliana Rao; mother Sharon and stepfather Don Hauerken; father Franklin Rao; sister and brother-in-law Cicily and Jeremiah Ulrich; Brother Gabriel Rao' and grandmothers F. Carole Barr and Carroll Rao.
An account has been set up in memory of Elijah for his wife and daughter Eliana at First Tech Credit Union in Beaverton.
Friends may visit Sunday December 13, 2009 8:00 AM- 2:00 PM and Monday December 14, 2009 12-5PM at Lincoln Memorial Park and Funeral Home.
Funeral Services will be held 1:00 PM Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at Lincoln Memorial Park and Funeral Home 11801 SE Mt. Scott Blvd. Burial will be at Willamette National Cemetery with Honors.
Arrangements under the direction of Lincoln Memorial Funeral Home, Portland, OR.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 PM
FiremanJeff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry for your loss, my heart is broken for you and your family.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Roadglide53
Intermediate

My prayers are with your family.

U.S Army 75-78

Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 AM
DHart
Tourer
Default Salutes to Elijah from his comrades in arms on his last day...

Word about Elijah directly from his fellow servicemen in Afghanistan. This is an especially revealing profile of Elijah.

http://prt-nuristan.blogspot.com/200...llen-hero.html

Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the link Don. I tried to post the following at the site but did not know how.

I am very saddened that such an awesome man and soldier has met his Maker at such an early age and my deepest condolences go out not only to his immediate family but his extended family (fellow servicemen) as well. God bless you all and I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that I pray for all of you on a regular basis.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
bstewart71
Intermediate

so sorry to hear of your loss.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:14 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

Very sorry to hear about your great loss.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From one humbled citizen of a most-grateful nation, all I can say is:
Thank you, and I am so sorry for you and your family.

It is ok to feel devastated, "we can't fix normal".

I hope that as time passes you feel the shift from bad-grief to good-grief, and embrace those memories for the exact reasons we have them.

Much respect to you and your family.

Quick Reply: The words... "I regret to inform you..."