Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is Tunning your Suspension Link???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Where is Tunning your Suspension Link???

Somewhere on one of the forums there was a suspension guild for the do-it-yourselfer to fine tune a suspenssion for our beloved bikes...
Anybody have it saved and can attach it for me...
Thanks

Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The only thing that is "tunable" on the suspension (other than the air assist shocks) is the viscosity and level of the fork and shock fluids. Try a search for changing the oil in the shocks (or forks) and you should find the info.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior

The one I'm seeking is the one where a bike is measured in the front and then the back with the rider off the bike and then back on it and fine tuned from there...The sag is measured ...
thanks

Old 12-04-2009, 11:35 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For ride hieght of your suspension Shoot for 3/4"
longer travel suspension shoot for1 "
for shorter travel suspension shoot for 1/2"
Ride and adjust as you see fit.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 AM
soon to be
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TexasBowhunter
The one I'm seeking is the one where a bike is measured in the front and then the back with the rider off the bike and then back on it and fine tuned from there...The sag is measured ...
thanks
not sure about a link....but here's a post how to set shock sag.

Pick a spot that you can measure vertically to get a starting point for bike with no weight on it. I used the top shock bolt, to the ground. Jack your bike up till the wheels are barely touching the ground and measure from your point(top shock bolt), to the ground. Then take the jack away and measure again. The "free sag (measurement w/o you on it), should be somewhere around 5-10mm (1/2" will be around 12mm), then have someone measure the bike with you sitting on it with normal riding gear on. The sag (difference in measurement from bike on jack) should be around- 25-35mm (1- 1 1/4"). If you don't have at least 1" of ride sag, you are missing out on a better ride than you have. To adjust the sag, break loose the 2- spanner nuts and turn spring counter clockwise (from top), making sure that the bottom spanner nut is turning with the spring, until you get at least 1" and up to 1-1/4". Hope that helps. **make sure that you lock down the spanner nuts together, once you get the sag set. It makes alot of difference, take the time and do it, trust me....

Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by soon to be
not sure about a link....but here's a post how to set shock sag.

Pick a spot that you can measure vertically to get a starting point for bike with no weight on it. I used the top shock bolt, to the ground. Jack your bike up till the wheels are barely touching the ground and measure from your point(top shock bolt), to the ground. Then take the jack away and measure again. The "free sag (measurement w/o you on it), should be somewhere around 5-10mm (1/2" will be around 12mm), then have someone measure the bike with you sitting on it with normal riding gear on. The sag (difference in measurement from bike on jack) should be around- 25-35mm (1- 1 1/4"). If you don't have at least 1" of ride sag, you are missing out on a better ride than you have. To adjust the sag, break loose the 2- spanner nuts and turn spring counter clockwise (from top), making sure that the bottom spanner nut is turning with the spring, until you get at least 1" and up to 1-1/4". Hope that helps. **make sure that you lock down the spanner nuts together, once you get the sag set. It makes alot of difference, take the time and do it, trust me....
Great explanation on setting sag but I'm just a bit curious as to how you accomplish these adjustments on stock touring suspension - have I been missing something?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:01 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Those are good sag measurements and it is used for setting spring rate (# or Nm of spring force). unfortunately this great method of measurement is lost on a bike that for the most part can not be tuned. Adding air to your rear shocks adds spring pre-load only. Problem is the shocks are not at all fair quality. The front forks can be tuned also by purchasing a set of good springs and than measuring the sag #'s than adjusting the pre-load spacers you must add. The stock progressively wound springs in the latter model FL's do not use pre-load spacers.

The oil thing and lots of other work to change the bike will only yield minimal results. For the time spent screwing with it yo would be better off getting a second job flipping burgers until you saved enough money to purchase quality suspension. You would be further ahead as your time is worth something to you.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:35 PM
soon to be
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Great explanation on setting sag but I'm just a bit curious as to how you accomplish these adjustments on stock touring suspension - have I been missing something?
i use to race motorcross - you learn alot about suspension and setting sag on a dirt bike.

stock touring suspension = air shocks....no real way to adjust the sag. Fastharley is right about quality suspension....our harley's come with just OK suspension.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior

I certainly understand about the air suspension but I was looking for this information as to when I install the progressive springs and the new Olins you are offering...
Just trying to get some of my ducks in a row...
thanks

Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Spring Pre-load

Even with emulators and linear rate springs (I do not use progressively wound springs as a rule) you will gain an improvement but unless you go with some kind of cartridge system, the results will not be near the same. Sorry, that is just the way it is. When setting up your font end look for riders sag to be around 1 1/4" ~ 1 1/2" measured stroke. Thats the best you can do for yourself using a conventional HD fork/internals. Measure from bottom of triple tree to center of the axle. Keep cutting the pre-load spacer untill desired measurement is achieved.