Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive fork cartridges..

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:47 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive fork cartridges..

Has anyone tried the new cartridge kits that progressive is offering ?
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ube/index.html

Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

No, but Works Performance will be releasing a similar thing in two weeks. They're going to install a set in my bike next week as a test. If that goes well we'll install a set in Greg Benner's bike as well. The big difference between Works and Progressive is that Works can be installed without disassembling the forks. The cartridges slide in and sit on top of the original damper tubes. Pretty ingenious design. They are also using a dual rate spring system like their shocks. I'll report back how they work out.

Here is the blurb they sent me:

DROP-IN FORK CARTRIDGES WITH DUAL-RATE FORK SPRINGS

Works new fork cartridges with dual-rate springs are the cure for mushy forks and vague handling. These self-contained damper units (much like gas shocks) are designed to be used in conjunction with the stock damper rods. Simply pull the fork caps and old springs and drop in the entire assembly. They are adjustable for anti-dive, rate-transition and spring preload. The kits can be set up for stock ride height or lowered (except some FXR and Sportster models). Kits for Sportster, FXR, Dyna, Softail and Road King. Rebuildable. Made entirely in the USA. Suggested retail: $369.00 per pair.

Marc

Old 12-04-2009, 04:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Other alternatives to consider are Traxxion cartridges, also Motorcycle Metal (HDF sponsor) does a fork cartridge conversion.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by marcparnes
No, but Works Performance will be releasing a similar thing in two weeks. They're going to install a set in my bike next week as a test. If that goes well we'll install a set in Greg Benner's bike as well. The big difference between Works and Progressive is that Works can be installed without disassembling the forks. The cartridges slide in and sit on top of the original damper tubes. Pretty ingenious design. They are also using a dual rate spring system like their shocks. I'll report back how they work out.

Here is the blurb they sent me:

DROP-IN FORK CARTRIDGES WITH DUAL-RATE FORK SPRINGS

Works new fork cartridges with dual-rate springs are the cure for mushy forks and vague handling. These self-contained damper units (much like gas shocks) are designed to be used in conjunction with the stock damper rods. Simply pull the fork caps and old springs and drop in the entire assembly. They are adjustable for anti-dive, rate-transition and spring preload. The kits can be set up for stock ride height or lowered (except some FXR and Sportster models). Kits for Sportster, FXR, Dyna, Softail and Road King. Rebuildable. Made entirely in the USA. Suggested retail: $369.00 per pair.

Marc
Do they another bike for testing?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be keeping an eye on this thread, having the crappy 05 setup I'd like to make a change and the prices for these two systems are in the range I can work with!

Old 12-04-2009, 01:23 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Good Deal?

I have never used any of the two above. I do know what is inside of a "for real set up" and you can never build a for real cartridge system using prison labor in China for that price. You will undoubtedly get what you pay for. Just like all suspension, those who compare a progressive anything and say it satisfies them, has absolutely no experience in anything else. Works, they are just OK but positively not world class.

If anyone wishes to dispute this statement, I am around usually 7 days a week so bring down your bike and we put 5) 2"X4"'s five feet apart. 40 MPH and the women behind you will tell you what the difference is in suspension. I have mine, you bring yours.

In all fairness I have never ridden or have seen the two offerings but you just can not build a set for that money at the front door much less 45% off for dealers mark-up or more from Drag Specialties (Parts Unlimited). The next thing is where are you going to rebuild them once they wear out (everything wears out)?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:39 PM
langhammx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I have never used any of the two above. I do know what is inside of a "for real set up" and you can never build a for real cartridge system using prison labor in China for that price. You will undoubtedly get what you pay for. Just like all suspension, those who compare a progressive anything and say it satisfies them, has absolutely no experience in anything else. Works, they are just OK but positively not world class.

If anyone wishes to dispute this statement, I am around usually 7 days a week so bring down your bike and we put 5) 2"X4"'s five feet apart. 40 MPH and the women behind you will tell you what the difference is in suspension. I have mine, you bring yours.

In all fairness I have never ridden or have seen the two offerings but you just can not build a set for that money at the front door much less 45% off for dealers mark-up or more from Drag Specialties (Parts Unlimited). The next thing is where are you going to rebuild them once they wear out (everything wears out)?
Howard, When is the Ohlins kit going to be available ? I'm getting older everyday. I'd do it right now, if you had them ready. My shocks are great, my forks suck, STILL.( Race-tech kit with 1" lowered progressive springs and thicker fluid.) Hate them, more all the time...

Old 12-05-2009, 04:04 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have trouble beleiveing that anyone who reccomends a progressive rate spring is fair dinkum about performance of their gear. While they may be better than stock (that wouldnt be too hard now would it), I doubt they are the pinnacle of performance.

Last edited by kingkingking; 12-05-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by langhammx
Howard, When is the Ohlins kit going to be available ? I'm getting older everyday. I'd do it right now, if you had them ready. My shocks are great, my forks suck, STILL.( Race-tech kit with 1" lowered progressive springs and thicker fluid.) Hate them, more all the time...
Sorry to go off subject of the OP. We need to make the fork caps which will be done right after the caliper mounts for the Ohlins. Machine time is backed up and hope to get it done. The 41 mm is very small and Ohlins does not make the caps. Machining in the compression valving and making them work will be easy but in order to make it work I need to buy 10 or sets of new take-off 2010 sliders (they fit all 41 mm fork tubes) because of machine set up time. No one does externally adjustable compression and spring pre-load

Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 PM
langhammx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Sorry to go off subject of the OP. We need to make the fork caps which will be done right after the caliper mounts for the Ohlins. Machine time is backed up and hope to get it done. The 41 mm is very small and Ohlins does not make the caps. Machining in the compression valving and making them work will be easy but in order to make it work I need to buy 10 or sets of new take-off 2010 sliders (they fit all 41 mm fork tubes) because of machine set up time. No one does externally adjustable compression and spring pre-load
Call me when you have a set of Ohlins and I will pull my forks off and send them to you.

Quick Reply: Progressive fork cartridges..