Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive fork cartridges..

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by kingkingking. Just like a Ferrari isnt 5 times better than a Corvette. But it is better.
Originally Posted by matrix5
Great quote! I may have to borrow that sometime to help put things in perspective.
Back when the Ferrari Daytona was a new car I read a test report in a British car magazine about it. They ran out of superlatives! In the closing paragraphs they mentioned they also had use of a big block auto Corvette. The Daytona could out-corner the Corvette, but on every straight the Corvette closed up right behind it.

It is not asking too much for our baggers to be like that Corvette! Until Harley start fitting top quality suspension a few of us will be happy to spend Ferrari money on suspension. Don't be surprised if you can't see us for dust!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

I said: I thought you rthomp159goes did real good in purchasing a great performance upgrade for your bike. You ride your bike and ride is important to you.

And you did say: All I'm saying is that I have a hard time swallowing that a $2000 Ohlins front end is going to perform noticeably better for the typical bagger rider than a $300 pair of Progressive cartridges or Ricor Intiminators.

rthomp159goes: I have never said a thing about Ricor Intiminators, where does that information come from? I told you what it would cost to make a set of a for real cartridge system. Please stick to what is said/posted and not go outside it with assumptions..

I will say: bring your stock Bagger and I will bring mine. We put 5) 2"X4" at 5 foot apart and travel over them at 40 mph, 50 mph, and 60 mph. If your bike can actually make it over this by a single rider with stock suspension without crashing, than we put an unknown, uninterested women on the back of the bike and let her decide. I know the outcome because I have done it many times. There is no contest on this.

But what do I know? I only have them, I take them apart, build them and design them. "You don't think" is not the same as "I have done". To make ridiculous statements as there is not enough gains or which is better dollar per dollar? No one quoted any member anything so how would any of the above statements be true or how would they know? Is the person who is quoting the one who developed or delivers the products? Is there anyone here who has a clue what is inside of offerings above and understand it?

By the comments I read above these members typically have no idea what is trying to be accomplished here ie: "Throw that kind of money at a sport bike... heavy bike with limited ground clearance to start with, and you still aint going racing on Sunday" and do not wish to read what I am pointing out or for that matter letting you build it yourself. Damascus if you do not wish to buy something because you do not have the money, don't understand the concept, or just want to talk about something you have no clue about, I suggest you bash something you understand like; what wax to put on chrome. I avoid potential customers like you so you would not have to worry what it costs for anything. If you have any idea what you are talking about or what is inside of this equipment, my phone number is below and I guarantee I will discuss any form of suspension with you provided you have the knowledge to do so.

I for one, do not wish to ride a bike with stock suspension or the other offerings available. I do something about it, I get off the couch and develop it. To the few big mouth no-nothings that are so prevalent here who have never accomplished anything; do what you like but do not talk about something you have no idea about. There are those who wish another choice and those who wish to learn, the purpose of this form, my posting is for them.

If any members have any experience in this field please feel free to post a picture of your accomplishments. I will apologize if you actually can supply some shad of proof you have any clue what you are talking about other than what you would buy and not make.

Remember I do not call or
have ever made anyone an offer to sell anything other than a HID headlight set up around a year ago. I do not spam or PM anyone or offer anything. I pay my sponsorship every month and give you guys information not available any where else.

Anyone who wishes to make a positive contribution, than do so. The OP is my customer and I have provided the best suspension on the market today (except our own more pricier models) for the rear of his bike, none of which any one of you negative individuals have ever accomplished. You just Talk..Talk..Talk and no positive contributions!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:54 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Back when the Ferrari Daytona was a new car I read a test report in a British car magazine about it. They ran out of superlatives! In the closing paragraphs they mentioned they also had use of a big block auto Corvette. The Daytona could out-corner the Corvette, but on every straight the Corvette closed up right behind it.

It is not asking too much for our baggers to be like that Corvette! Until Harley start fitting top quality suspension a few of us will be happy to spend Ferrari money on suspension. Don't be surprised if you can't see us for dust!
I'd love to spend that kind of money on suspension. Just can't afford it. My current penny saving effort is aimed at a set of Ohlins, but it may get diverted with a 1yr old in the house. I'm just lucky to have been able to finish up a big bore upgrade without getting derailed. For now, the stock suspension still allows me to go fast enough to be breakin' the law and have a great time doing it.

Having said that, when the time is right, I certainly want to get the most bang for my buck. If that means shelling out a few more dollars for better quality and functioning components, so be it. I'd rather spend $500 wisely than waste $300 foolishly.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:28 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by matrix5
I'd love to spend that kind of money on suspension. Just can't afford it. My current penny saving effort is aimed at a set of Ohlins, but it may get diverted with a 1yr old in the house. I'm just lucky to have been able to finish up a big bore upgrade without getting derailed. For now, the stock suspension still allows me to go fast enough to be breakin' the law and have a great time doing it.

Having said that, when the time is right, I certainly want to get the most bang for my buck. If that means shelling out a few more dollars for better quality and functioning components, so be it. I'd rather spend $500 wisely than waste $300 foolishly.
I'm going with the Ohlins shocks as well for now! One step at a time.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Howard, you're here to sell a product, and no one's disagreeing with you that it's a good product. But you have to understand that not everyone has $2,000 lying around to change their front suspension. Your 2x4 test sounds interesting, but what does that really prove? Think I can't control my bike over an imperfect surface? There's a lot more to that test than just suspension, but to be honest with you, if I see a bunch of 2x4s lying in the road, I'm going to ride around them, not over them.

All I'm saying is that I question the value, as someone else said "the diminishing returns", of what could very easily be $3,000 worth of suspension work on a bike that's used for touring rather than carving corners. If we were talking about Ninjas or Ducati Monsters, I'd be right there with you. But for they typical bagger rider, is anyone going to be able to really feel where the extra money went?

I don't know. I know I'd love to have $3,000 dollars laying around to find out, but I imagine that there's only so much you can do with the platform.

Finally, while I don't doubt that you know your stuff when it comes to suspension, I'm not exactly a dummy about it either, having campaigned a rather nasty Taurus SHO around Summit Point and the local autocross circuit for a few years back in the '90s. I can tell you though that as a potential customer, it's a turn-off listening to a seller/manufacturer slam other products and question anyone who questions his product's intelligence.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

It seems to me that a lot of things fall in a 80/20 rule (could be 70/30, or 90/10). You get 80% of the improvement/value, etc.etc for 20% of the cost. The remaining 20% in improvement cost 80%.

The Ferrari example is right on point.

Same with suspension. For example, Progressive 440s and Works "Trackers" are maybe $500 or so. You can get low end non adjustable Ohin shocks for about the same, maybe a little more. However, the really good Ohlins are at least a grand (way more at list price). Are they better? Sure. Are they worth it? Depends.

Same with front suspension I think. Tough call, depends a lot on how much disposable $$ you have, how you ride...etc.

It sounds great to say "take the expensive stuff with you to the next bike", but HD has been making lots of changes recently. No way to know whether the expensive stuff will be transferable in 2011, 2012, etc.

For me, on the RG, I think I would be totally happy with 80% for 20% of the cost. Definitely not everyone would agree.

OTOH, if my RG were my only bike, I might well spend the extra $$.

Sure wish HD used better components stock!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

80/20....Excellent way of putting it.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Terminator69
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front suspension

I would offer up my 07 street glide as a test bike. Juss sayin.....

Old 12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rthomp159
Howard, you're here to sell a product, and no one's disagreeing with you that it's a good product. But you have to understand that not everyone has $2,000 lying around to change their front suspension. Your 2x4 test sounds interesting, but what does that really prove? Think I can't control my bike over an imperfect surface? There's a lot more to that test than just suspension, but to be honest with you, if I see a bunch of 2x4s lying in the road, I'm going to ride around them, not over them.

All I'm saying is that I question the value, as someone else said "the diminishing returns", of what could very easily be $3,000 worth of suspension work on a bike that's used for touring rather than carving corners.
I have to agree.
After I saw the price of the rear's,I thought holly cow. I can afford them,but I cant justify spending that kind of money IMO.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howard, I can afford to buy the Ohlins set-up for my, already $40,000.00 ,investment. I was sold on the Ohlins shocks as soon as I put them on my bike.
YES folks, there is a VERY noticable difference in the shocks. So much that the forks feel like $hit and it's making me crazy. I have put the race-tech gold valve emulators with progressive 1" lowering springs and thicker fluid, and even though they felt ok with the Progressive 430's that I had before, I hated the forks, as soon as I installed the Ohlins on the rear. I will put safety and a comfortable ride, before worrying about the cost, ANYDAY...
I am ready to buy the Ohlins fork kit, cash in hand........ For those who cannot afford it, I can understand the delima... I'm glad I can afford to buy whatever I want for my bike, without any approvals from a wife/ girlfriend, or accountant. I have been divorced for 18 years, my kids are almost grown and gone and don't plan on changing my ways now.... lol
Howard, did I mention that I am ready for the Ohlins fork mod/kit ? haha

Last edited by langhammx; 12-07-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Progressive fork cartridges..