Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive fork cartridges..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
I have trouble beleiveing that anyone who reccomends a progressive rate spring is fair dinkum about performance of their gear. While they may be better than stock (that wouldnt be too hard now would it), I doubt they are the pinnacle of performance.
Knowing enough about suspension, I would have to agree with you. A progressive spring is kinda like a bandade for setting up your suspension correctly. I know that I hated the way my bike handled with the progressive 430 shocks on it. I bought a pair of Ohlins from Howard and they work amazing.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Count me in as another 2010 owner who will be happy to volunteer for the Ohlins front suspension.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:52 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I am dreaming of the day when my Harley rides as good as my previous BMW's...

Offer me the front and rear Ohlins, and I'm in. The stock suspension is a joke.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The forks on my '99 hardly even move unless I'm stopping. I'd really like to find a good solution to it and the rear shocks which I cannot seem to find the sweet spot with it lowered 1".

Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Angry

I bit on the Progressive 940s for the rear and the monotube set up for the front.
The 940s should be here next week and the monotubes a bit later. I can get them installed, but it is only 18 degrees outside now. So I don't think I will have much of a report.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the fully adjustable Ohlins on the rear of my Dyna. List was $1500, got them for just under a $1000. The "good" Ohlin front fork stuff will be more than that. They are tremendous shocks, and I hope to get some Ohlins (from Howard) in the front....trouble is they will likely cost more than the rear shocks. Note that the Dyna (an 07) was FAR worse than the RG, I mean really bad.

I totally agree the the adjustable Ohlins are better than Progressive or Works. For me, the issue is whether you want to spend over $2000 (plus labor if you can't do it yourself).

Btw, Works uses linear wound springs, not progressively wound.

After Mark Parnes tries the Works, assuming they help, I will try the Works in my 07Road Glide. Just not interested in spending $2-3k on the RG.

Marc has an 09, I have an 07 (both RGs). His front suspension is clearly better than mine, less dive due to stronger springs, but neither are world class by any measure.

Hopefully we can post the results in a couple weeks or less.

greg

Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal.... I'm glad I asked. Looking forward to some opinions of all the mentioned products.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Two grand!!

That changes my thinking completely.

As much as I would like to try the much touted Ohlin's, or even Works, shocks and front springs, that price puts me out of the running by at least 15 hundred. Too bad really. They sound like some good products.

Never can tell though; I might get a serious windfall someday and if that happens I'll be having these products in the back of my mind.

Till then I'll be looking at Progressive's like most folks.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Two grand!!

That changes my thinking completely.

As much as I would like to try the much touted Ohlin's, or even Works, shocks and front springs, that price puts me out of the running by at least 15 hundred. Too bad really. They sound like some good products.

Never can tell though; I might get a serious windfall someday and if that happens I'll be having these products in the back of my mind.

Till then I'll be looking at Progressive's like most folks.
Do these things one end at a time and spread the cost. If you buy anything less you are wasting money! The $500 you imply you can spend is not far short of a pair of Howard's #3 rear Ohlins. Mine are in the post!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:02 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it once, do it right. Save up for the best. For a few hundred more buy new lowers and tubes, put the ohlins in them and keep your standard forks in the shed. when you sell the bike put the stock legs back on and keep your ohlins for your next bike. Fully rebuildable, so when they wear out you can make them as new again whereas your progressives are trash.

It is hard to justify the $$$, but I stopped trying to justify the money I have spent on my tractor a long time ago. I forgot what my engine cost the first time I gave her a big fistful and she nearly pulled my arms out of their sockets. You will forget what your ohlins cost the first time you hit a big bump mid corner with a board dragging and she doesnt try to throw you down the road...

Quick Reply: Progressive fork cartridges..