Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive fork cartridges..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Hal@Ricor
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rthomp159
I haven't ridden a bike with the Traxxion components, but I have a hard time believing that they're $1,000 better than the Intiminators. Better, yes, but not by that order of magnitude.

Looking forward to the Ricor rear shocks arriving. If they make the same improvement the Intiminators made up front, I'm going to have one nice-riding bike.
Linking and looking forward to your ride report

Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by langhammx
I was hoping that Howard @ www.motorcyclemetal.com would have worked something out with Ohlins, I've been dragging my feet for over a year. I don't think Ohlins feels that there is enough demand for investing time into the Harley FORK world. Too bad, thier shocks that I bought from Howard are awesome. I'm sure I'll end up doing the Traxxion kit and the next week, Ohlins will come out with thiers. lol I'm ever so close to pulling the trigger on the TRAXXION kit, I'm craving to know what it rides like. I will post something on them after I get them done. ~Shaun

BTW- Howard offers a very genorous discount to all hdforums members on Ohlins shocks. If you have never tried a pair, you owe it to yourself. Very nice shocks at a great price...

** HOWARD, if there is any chance of an OHLINS set-up for my bike yet, PM me and let me know. Otherwise, I will let you know what I think of my new TRAXXION kit... lol lol
I also have a set of Howard's Ohlins! He does do a fork insert, but like the Traxxion it requires machining of the sliders to install. I live in the UK and shipping forks to the US and back is not an economical proposition, especially when I can get Traxxions installed here.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Well my monotubes should be here tomorrow, I don't know when I will find the time to install them though.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone tell me if there is anyone in this thread that posted on their Monotubes, I had to quit reading all the bullshit on page 8. Not one post with regards to the OP question. WTF guys you trashed this thread.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Stoood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Progressive gas charged Monotube dampers w/ tuned fork springs.

Dropped a set into my 08 FLHTCU w/ Moto-Trike conversion in February, and have 700 miles on them (along with bore kit, cams, Rivera clutch, etc. etc). I was considering shipping my tubes to Howard, but already had the Progressive kits on hand, and went with them. Huge difference, even though they do not list them for trikes yet. Handling is great, good rebound, and it rides like a touring rig now instead of a lumber-wagon. I get a little more dive than I like when braking, but that's the only complaint I have. I'm pushing 1600 pounds, and riding two up it still rides and handles great. Too good for the price, so I wonder how they will hold up long term. IMHO, you can't go wrong for the price. I've yet to post on the extensive mods I made to the Trike's motor and drive-train for pulling power and longevity. By the time I get around to that I should have enough miles on it to give a beter evaluation (I still owe a post on the Baker +1 oil pan I added, so far temp maxes at 215 IN traffic). For a low cost quick install, you cannot go wrong with the Progressive kit.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:08 AM
InDenial
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I have had parts of this in other threads, but thought I would compile it all here. I ordered the Progressive Monotubes in February and had them installed this winter. I was like a seven year old waiting for Christmas, as I waited for the snow to melt and things to dry out. The first ride out I hit my front brake to check the dive and there was a "clunk". It would occur at both fast and slow speeds each time the front brake was applied fast. If the brake was eased into slowly, there was no clunk. The dealership ruled out the neck bearing and the floating rotor. They couldn't get rid of the clunk. The second problem came when going over a rain curb into the gas station, where it bottomed out. I went over it several times and each time there was metal on metal and it actually hurt. A couple of times with my wife on the back end, hitting a manhole cover it would bottom out. It made us cringe whenever we saw a bump coming that I couldn't go around. Progressive company seemed interested in helping at first, but after a couple of phone calls, Frank at Progressive dropped the ball and wouldn't call back. I lost faith in him too. I asked him to send me a new set of Monotubes and I would return mine for their quality control dept. to look at. They weren't interested because it had never happened before, (remember, it only took one run away Toyota to start something). He did send me a free set of preload spacers because mine didn't come with any. But I would have to spend the $175 (2 1/2 hrs labor) for them to be put in. Frank said they wouldn't help with the bottoming out though, just the height. I got a set of Ricor Intiminators and had them put in instead for the $175 labor it would have cost me to put in the spacers.

Ride comparison after 200 miles on each:

They were both stable and smooth to 105 mph.

The Monotubes had quite a bit of front end dive when the brakes were applied or when the front end was bounced. The Intiminators are very firm, but not hard, when the brakes are applied and there is no dive. Today I had a turkey walk out of the ditch in front of me and I had to apply the front brake hard( it wasn't him I was worried about it was the next two or three), it was firm and I had a lot of control as I slowed. I do a lot more slowing with my front brake now than I ever did before, it's kinda fun.

As I said the Monotubes bottomed out when I went over a quick bump. The Intiminators have never bottomed out. The first thing I did with them after they were installed was to ride to the gas station and hit the curb at different speeds. It was smooth each time. They feel like you are riding over rubber when you hit a hard bump.

The measurement from the middle of the front axle to the lower end of the "cowbells" was 12 1/4" for the Monotubes and is 13 1/4" for the Ricor Intiminators. But I didn't have the preload spacers in, as the early ones didn't come with them. I don't know what the measurement is with them in----can anyone help here?

Both shocks improved cornering at high speeds. With the Monotubes, I felt some fading at 15mph over the posted speed around corners and had to slow down. They were definitely better than the stock shocks. I don't feel that fade with the Intiminators. I can consistently corner the twistys at 15-20 mph over posted speed. When more confidence comes, I'm sure I won't have a problem leaning even harder and slingshotting out of the curves. I also feel more confident in the corners when the road is not completely smooth.

I feel as though the Intiminator valve makes the shocks feel harder when you push down from on top, as in bouncing them in the driveway or putting on the front brakes. But when the "push" comes from down below, as in a bump, they are very smooth and resilient. I like the ride much better than the Monotubes. It feels more secure to me at both high and low speeds. I would highly recommend the Ricors if you're looking for some better front end shock handling.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:28 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Indianspringsaz
Can someone tell me if there is anyone in this thread that posted on their Monotubes, I had to quit reading all the bullshit on page 8. Not one post with regards to the OP question. WTF guys you trashed this thread.
And your post helps how?

Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
And your post helps how?
I am asking a legitimate question, and would be interested in reading if someone actually posted to the OP's questions.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master

The Progressive Monotube cartridges are in with a 1" drop. I have none of the issues the guy a few post's up has. The thing feels great. No brake dive. Feels much more responsive, if that makes sense. I guess everything feels firmer too. Anyhow they didnt cost me a grand and they are a vast improvement over stock. They are certainly worthy of consideration.

Last edited by Indianspringsaz; 05-15-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:43 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain

I'm considering getting the 1" lowered version.

Quick Reply: Progressive fork cartridges..