Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive fork cartridges..

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by WI Bob
This actually plays into my plan. (mine are still in the box)
I wanted to put on a 18" Renegade front wheel that would raise the front 1/2 inch.
Now it will all be normal.

But I don't like the bottoming out stories.
Don't assume that the 18" front wheel will change your height any as the front tire is a 70 aspect ratio on the 18 compared to a 90 aspect on the 16" , they will be very very close to the same height.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The size of the 130/70 18 is exactly the same as the MT 90- 16 however the 140/70 18 is 1/2 taller overall so if you go with the 140 it will raise the front end 1/4 inch.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM
InDenial
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my Monotubes installed two weeks ago. The jury is still out. They bottom out when going over a small curb into the gas station. Progressive Co. doesn't have an explaination. They also produced a "clunk" when I apply the front brake. It happens at either fast or slow speeds. If I ease into the brake, there is no clunk. The dealer checked and it's not the neck bearing or the floating rotors. Progressive can't figure out what may be causing it. They also will not send me another set of shocks to switch out and allow me to return these back for R & D to do a quality control study on. They sent me the preload spacers to put on, but say they will not help with the bottoming out, just the height. Still don't know why it "clunks" when I put on the new shocks. Not sure I did the right thing. I'll keep you updated with my contact with Progressive Co.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
RicorSHX
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Ricor Intiminators

Originally Posted by InDenial
I had my Monotubes installed two weeks ago. The jury is still out. They bottom out when going over a small curb into the gas station. Progressive Co. doesn't have an explaination. They also produced a "clunk" when I apply the front brake. It happens at either fast or slow speeds. If I ease into the brake, there is no clunk. The dealer checked and it's not the neck bearing or the floating rotors. Progressive can't figure out what may be causing it. They also will not send me another set of shocks to switch out and allow me to return these back for R & D to do a quality control study on. They sent me the preload spacers to put on, but say they will not help with the bottoming out, just the height. Still don't know why it "clunks" when I put on the new shocks. Not sure I did the right thing. I'll keep you updated with my contact with Progressive Co.
InDenial,

If you switch to the Ricor Intiminators, there's a no risk guarantee.

We believe the damper system with a modern metering system is superior to the high gas pressure small piston cartridge system.

1) The damper rod piston surface area is usually many times larger than the cartridge in almost all applications.
2) The damper rod system will lubricate the fork bearings better.
3) The damper rod system dissipates heat better by not being insulated.
4) High pressure monotubes will not comply as well over the grainy road surface as well due to the oil being 'preloaded' by the high gas pressure. In our opinion, high pressure monotubes should ALWAYS use rubber bushings to provide for the 'rolling plushness' feel for street applications. The damper rod system oil (non preloaded) is slightly compressible over the grainy surfaces. That allows the 'valving' to be increased for handling and bottoming resistance without the 'rough road feel' trade off.
5) Damper rod seals don't have to deal with sealing the high pressure oil and work with at a much lower psi for virtually no break away friction and greater longevity. The Intiminator uses an OE Harley damper rod seal. $2 local dealer replacement cost. The Ricor inertia valve will never wear out.
6) The Ricor Intiminators have the Dakar Rally winning motion sensing inertia valves that 'reads' the road surface 'looking' for opportunities to switch from firm to the optimum comfort/traction shock tune. The inertia defaults to the firm handling, stability, anti brake dive response when no bumps are sensed. The front forks provide a firm response when braking hard over bumps as the inertia valve opens and closes within milliseconds. The result is seamless.
7) Ricor intiminators are race proven competing with Traxxion cartridge front forks. A recent email from an AFM west coast SV650 production class team manager:

"Thank you Brian........I will keep you posted on the progress we achieve with the set up/ racing.....

Just a FYI.....Since installing Intiminators into our Suzuki Sv650....we have won all of the races in 2010.... Our first race 3 weeks ago was the season opener....and we won that by a few seconds....."

8) Another HD owner had a good experience when switching from another manufacturer's monotube cartridge to the Ricor Intiminators:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...view-long.html

We hope to 'hear' from you soon!
Ricor Racing and Development

Last edited by RicorSHX; 04-13-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:33 PM
langhammx
Road Captain

WOW... That's good buisness sense right there. I'm looking forward to hearing the reviews. I tried a different route and was very dissapointed. I bought into the RACE-TECH Gold valve kit and a set of Progressive springs. I also changed the fork oil weight to a higher viscosity. As the forks were alot better than they were stock, escpecially the diving of the front-end. BUT, I was not impressed with the ride, for how much money I spent. I ended up getting my money back on the race-tech valves, as a buddy wanted them. I am VERY close to going to the TRAXXION DYNAMICS kit on my bike. I wish that I would of done it during winter, because the forks need to be sent to them for some machining to make thier parts fit in the stock shells. I have heard nothing but good things about them so far, but not a lot of Harly feedback. I haven't heard too much about the RECOR units, but I hope they work out good. The progressive springs with 1" lowering and thicker fork oil is a major improvement, but I'm wanting more than the race-tech gave me. Shaun

Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Traxxion are where my current thoughts rest. I reckon on upgrading my forks soon, probably next Winter. But I am still looking around!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default Ohlins

Originally Posted by grbrown
Traxxion are where my current thoughts rest. I reckon on upgrading my forks soon, probably next Winter. But I am still looking around!
I was hoping that Howard @ www.motorcyclemetal.com would have worked something out with Ohlins, I've been dragging my feet for over a year. I don't think Ohlins feels that there is enough demand for investing time into the Harley FORK world. Too bad, thier shocks that I bought from Howard are awesome. I'm sure I'll end up doing the Traxxion kit and the next week, Ohlins will come out with thiers. lol I'm ever so close to pulling the trigger on the TRAXXION kit, I'm craving to know what it rides like. I will post something on them after I get them done. ~Shaun

BTW- Howard offers a very genorous discount to all hdforums members on Ohlins shocks. If you have never tried a pair, you owe it to yourself. Very nice shocks at a great price...

** HOWARD, if there is any chance of an OHLINS set-up for my bike yet, PM me and let me know. Otherwise, I will let you know what I think of my new TRAXXION kit... lol lol

Last edited by langhammx; 04-13-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I haven't ridden a bike with the Traxxion components, but I have a hard time believing that they're $1,000 better than the Intiminators. Better, yes, but not by that order of magnitude.

Looking forward to the Ricor rear shocks arriving. If they make the same improvement the Intiminators made up front, I'm going to have one nice-riding bike.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default Traxxion

Originally Posted by rthomp159
I haven't ridden a bike with the Traxxion components, but I have a hard time believing that they're $1,000 better than the Intiminators. Better, yes, but not by that order of magnitude.

Looking forward to the Ricor rear shocks arriving. If they make the same improvement the Intiminators made up front, I'm going to have one nice-riding bike.
Ya, I here you. $1000.00 is alot more money, forsure. I've taken apart my bike too many times as it is, I'm going to go for it, regardless of the price. Besides, I'm having a hard time spending all the money I won in Vegas.. LOL The Harley is always good for a grand here and a grand there.

Question for you- Do you buy cheap shoes/boots or a cheap bed ? If so, than the traxxion kit isn't for you. If you like to get a good nights rest in your expensive bed, and enjoy your back NOT bothering you, wearing your expensive boots/shoes, than you might want to think about it some more. Myself, I buy the best shoes/boots and bed (every 6 years) that money can buy, because I feel like I spend 80% of my day on my feet or on my back.
On the weekends, I LIKE to spend my sundays SITTING on my bike, riding on the coast or in the twisties. That's why I bought a Dannhy Gray seat and Ohlins shocks. I only need to fill the void in my forks of my bike. I thought I had it all done when I installed the race-tech kit and springs, along with a thicker oil. I was disapointed to say the least. I'm glad that my buddy liked the feel of the race-tech kit and we swapped them into his bike over a few beers, at least I re-couped that money. The springs alone with the thicker oil fells a lot better that stock, but with a nice ride in the rear (OHLINS shocks), the forks just feel harsh. Sorry for the rant ~Shaun

Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Going with a heavier oil up front will increase the harshness. That's one of the really nice things about the Intiminators....You use a 5wt oil so you don't get the crap beat out of you.

I hear what you're saying about paying for quality, but are you really buying the best boots? If you've paid less than a couple of grand for them, then you haven't. And is price always an indicator of quality? I don't believe it is. I think there comes a point when you're spending money for a name, or for status (not you in particular). Hell, that argument could be made about Harleys.

I have no doubt that the Traxxion setup is fantastic. If I had money to burn, I'd probably get it. But the grand I saved buys me an awful lot of gas, roadfood, and cheap motels, and means that I can afford more time off of work to ride.

If you get it though, tell me how it is so I can live vicariously through you!

Quick Reply: Progressive fork cartridges..